Former President Jimmy Carter said Wednesday he is convinced the United States engages in torture that clearly breaches international law and told CNN President Bush creates his own definition of human rights to escape violating them.
"I don't think it. I know it, certainly." the former president told CNN's Wolf Blitzer when asked if he thinks the United States commits torture.
"Our country for the first time in my lifetime has abandoned the basic principle of human rights," Carter continued. "We've said that the Geneva Convention does not apply to those people in Abu Ghraib prison and Guantanamo, and we’ve said we can torture prisoners and deprive them of an accusation of a crime to which they are accused."
You know as sad as most of us must feel about how badly damaged our country's integrity has become, just think of how much it must pain people from Carter's generation.
They worked tirelessly to make America a shining example of freedom and justice in the world, only to watch the whole thing crumble before their eyes after the Bush administration got behind the wheel.
Is it any wonder he is so angry?
I don't usually respond to blogs, but I am ashamed to say that Carter was president of our country. I think he has lost it and belongs in a home somewhere with someone watching over it. It's a shame that an ex-president knocks his country ane their actions as much as he did
ReplyDeleteHey Anonymous, you are committing the same fallacy that many others have done. Speaking out against the policies of the Bush administration is not the same thing as knocking his country. Wake up. It is entirely understandable for you or anyone not to like Carter or his policies, but I grow tired of small minds who cannot grasp this basic concept.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I don't agree with former President Carter, his position on the current war in Iraq or his current comments, he does have the right to speak what he believes. Unfortunately he is in a position where the media and many citizens of the U.S. listen to what he says. President Carter's foreign policies during his tenure as president were some of the biggest failures of the 20th century and possibly in the whole of U.S. history. For him to be so critical of President Bush is akin to the pot calling the kettle black. I believe Carter should go back to Plains, GA, teach his Sunday School class that many want to attend and tend to his business at there. The voters at the time let him know that they didn't wish for him to have a 2nd term as President. He should take the hint after so many years.
ReplyDeleteWell Jimmy Carter may have made some mistakes during his presidency, but compared to the Bush administration Carter seems almost gifted.
ReplyDeleteI mean we have unnecessary war, no Habeas Corpus, illegal wiretapping, criminals running rampant in the White House, and we stand accused of torture.
What in the Carter administration even comes close to that kind of abuse of power and lack of respect for our constitution?
Torture is unacceptable. Whatever failures Carter had (and I hear they were REALLY bad) he is right about torture. It's unacceptable to use simulated drowning and beatings to get information from prisoners. I wonder how many non-terrorists are couped up in Gitmo and Abu because they gave false confessions simply to end the torture? I know we need to keep our people safe, but it's something to think about.
ReplyDeletewell I won't dump on Carter. I spent enough time justifying him during his tenure. The voters choice was him or Gerry "I got yer pardon right here" Ford, so I rest my case. I wish he had been a stronger president, but he was totally shut out by the embedded DC power elite.
ReplyDeleteI do think he is an honorable man & is right that redefining the words that define torture does not mean the acts do not constitute torture & in fact are considered torture under int'l law. If the whole GWB regime is not long gone to some paraguyan haven in a couple yrs, they could be defined as enemy combatants on whom torture is apparently acceptable. Let's see what they think of all these laws & powers they have been busily redefining then.
Thank you Dk..and gryphen for remembering that he does indeed have Integrity, and that he also does to this day remember HOW this country was suposed to be...and what the founding fathers had in mind....and he is right about Illegal war, the Importance of Every Vote Counting, and that Geneva Conventions do matter..and that Torture and Premptive attack has never been Used ( or mis-used ) by any previous administration...
ReplyDeleteGreat post gryphen....
Carter is right on.
ReplyDeleteI have heard several pundits and talking heads making the point that past Presidents usually adhere to an unwritten rule not to criticize a sitting President, and that by doing so it shows a lack of character.
ReplyDeleteI take offense at that remark as I feel it would be far worse for Carter to stay silent while our country's reputation is being trashed around the world.
If you remember, even Gerald Ford made disparaging remarks about Dick Cheney's role in all of this mess before he passed away. I would bet that if Ronald Reagan were alive, and in command of his faculties, he would also be speaking out. He may have tried to talk to George Bush privately first, but let's face it the arrogant prick would have ignored him.