Sunday, October 04, 2009

Indiana Gryphen and the Temple of Baptists.

Today I visited the Anchorage Baptist Temple which served as ground zero for the anti-homosexual fervor that swept through my city this summer as the Anchorage Assembly voted to pass Ordinance 64 which would have provided the same rights for the LGBT community to live and work in Anchorage that everybody inside this monstrous building took for granted.


Of course that was before Prevo's lapdog, and our current sorry excuse for a mayor, Dan Sullivan vetoed it.

This Sunday was a special Sunday at ABT because it was the 38th anniversary of Jerry Prevo's ministry. Yep thirty eight years of putting down homosexuals and begging for handouts. How could I miss it?

The huge parking lot was fairly bulging with cars, and I found myself amazed at just how many people are members of this church. And as you can see for yourself from the picture, the building itself is ginormous!

Inside the building was opulent and I could almost smell the money wafting through the ventilation system. Inside the auditorium itself, I was amazed at the vaulted ceilings, professional lighting, and huge stage that would be the absolute envy of theater companies anywhere in Alaska.

Even the PAC in Anchorage had nothing on this place.

They had four, count them four, large Digi Power 72 cameras placed strategically throughout the auditorium to record and broadcast Prevo's sermon for those Baptists too sick to attend, but perhaps not too sick to write a check.

When I sat down Prevo was just wrapping up his morning service and was oddly enough talking about how nobody thought he would ever amount to anything, and look how famous he had become with all of his accomplishments, delivered as some sort of message on the importance of humility. Yeah I did not get it either.

The 11:00 session started off with a song containing a strong military flavor that invoked images of "soldiers of light" and the "crushing of enemies". It made me wonder if they were confusing Jesus with Rambo?

After that Glenn Clarey took the stage and started the beatification of Pastor Prevo. According to Mr. Clarey Jerry was just barely this side of the "walk on water, make water into wine" guy that I thought this place was built to worship. (One very interesting fact that was mentioned is that, according to a Focus on the Family study, "fifteen hundred pastors leave the ministry every month, or 2-3 a day. When I heard that my first thought was, "See these people can be helped".)

Then Mr. Clarey launched into how proud they all are to have a minister like Jerry Prevo who did not abandon his flock and who "bravely" fought against the "homosexual ordinance" this summer. Oh yeah suppressing human rights is heroic indeed!

After that my sensibilities were assaulted with a video homage to Pastor Jerry, which ended with yet another reminder of his "victory over the homosexuals". (They simply could not seem to stop talking about this subject!) This was followed by a standing ovation from the congregation. (Now I know why none of my gay friends wanted to come with me.)

Afterward we were exhorted to give Prevo a "love offering" to show our appreciation for all of his hard work and sacrifice. (You know bashing those gays really works up a sweat.)

When Mr. Clarey finally pried his lips off of Jerry's ass, the stage was taken by a middle aged man, with a powerful voice, who sang a very beautiful song to honor Pastor Prevo called "Thank You". I was actually quite moved, but not for the same reasons as the rest of the crowd.

What the congregation at large may not have been aware of is that the writer of that song, Ray Boltz, just came out of the closet last year and admitted that he was gay. (Damn it! They are everywhere!)

After the song, while still wiping his eyes, Prevo took to the podium, and without a hint of irony, started talking about the recent funeral of George Sullivan (our current mayor's father) and HIS brave stand against the homosexuals. He then followed that up by making the statement "If YOUR pastor did not stand up against this homosexual ordinance last summer, you should fire him!" This was followed by a standing ovation from the mostly middle aged, slightly chunky crowd. (Just how close is that damn exit door anyhow?)

So not only is Jerry Prevo openly promoting hatred toward the gays, he is promoting the punishment of any other Christian minister who does not agree with him. Wow! Now THAT is some set of balls on this guy!

For the meat of his sermon today Prevo chose to preach on, and I kid you not about this, "The Big Bad Wolf and the Three Little Pigs". Apparently a story that I have read over a hundred times to thousands of young children is actually a Christian morality play. Who knew?

Anyhow, according to Prevo, the sin that the pigs engaged in was not "building their lives with the right stuff". Now what is the "right stuff" you may ask? Well apparently it is constant church attendance, adherence to the Word of God, and tithing. Yep apparently if you give God protection money, by way of tithes, he will take care of you and provide you with material things like "good wine", "good food", and "prosperity".

If you fail to do that then you will be "blown to hell" by the Wolf/Satan.

I looked around to see if anybody else found this analogy as ridiculous as I did and I did manage to see a few furrowed brows trying to make sense of Prevo's bastardization of a children's story to make a point about morality and giving money to his church. (Well good there are some thinkers in the crowd.)

As he was wrapping things up (and that soft spiritual music started wafting through the speakers) Prevo reminded any visitors that they could come back to the VIP room and he would meet them face to face.

What? You can actually meet and talk to the gay bashing Jerry Prevo face to face if you want? Do I dare?

Are you new here? Of course I was going to stay and meet Pastor Jerry!

In the VIP room there were doughnuts and yet another video extolling the virtues of the Anchorage Baptist Temple and Jerry Prevo, and ending, I kid you not, on his work to suppress gay rights. (I guess that leaves no doubt as to exactly HOW Prevo defines his ministry.)

I shook a few hands and gave my name, my REAL name, to a number of junior pastors who were quite pleasant and very cordial. (Not one of them batted and eye or seemed to recognize me by name, which means I guess even members of ABT don't listen to Eddie Burke's crappy radio show.)

I then noticed Jerry Prevo enter the room and slowly made my way over to him.

After he had greeted a few other newcomers, he turned his attention to me.

Now Prevo's reaction was somewhat different then that of his junior pastors, he DID recognize me. And that was very evident by the look that came over his face. When I gave my real name, he asked me how he knew me, with one suspicious eyebrow raised. I mentioned that I had interviewed him at the Assembly meeting back in August. Oh, he said and followed up with "and what brings you here"?

Now I am not one to be rude to somebody in their home without provocation, and I did not come to start trouble, so I simply said I had come to check out his church and congratulated him on his sermon. (I know, but I was trying to be non-threatening.) Prevo's face, which had appeared a bit troubled, relaxed and he warmly smiled and said "well I hope you will join us again sometime". He then patted me on the shoulder and walked off to greet other new visitors.

As I made the long walk back to my car I thought to myself, I wonder how long before Prevo puts two and two together and realizes who he just talked to, and I wonder how different my reception might be if I take him up on his offer and decide to infiltrate his temple in the future.

Well THAT is an adventure for another time.

32 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:04 PM

    I probably shouldn't comment with a blog entry, but I wrote a long blog entry about this subject a little while back:
    http://luckyjean22.wordpress.com/2009/09/27/faiths-turned-hate-cults/

    FWIW, I think it's better that you didn't start any loud arguments or anything in their church. Better not to be rude, and classier, too. Besides, ya woulda been outnumbered...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:36 PM

    Wow. A sermon that ends with a story of a predator blowing a bunch of stupid little pigs? I can't decide if that's irony or symbolism. Either way, thanks for taking one for the team to bring your readers this report.

    No way could I gone into a place like that. I'd have burst into flames before I even got to the pew. Verily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:46 PM

    It appears that Prevo has turned his ministry into the Church of Jerry Prevo. Sadly, most people will assume that all Christians are like him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SME1314:47 PM

    I am proud you, yet had secretly hoped you would ask him in what part of the bible did God say it was ok to stand in judgment of others - such as the gay community. In the bible I read it simply says that man shall not judge ANYONE and that we should love our neighbors - all of them; the children of single parents he refuses to allow into his school, the gay community, the poor, the non white he tries in vain to keep out.

    But I do realize he wouldn't have given you a straight forward answer and in the end you did the right thing.

    So when is it we revoke his and all his fake junior pastors tax exempt status?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:57 PM

    Why the hell did you even go there? You didn't know what to expect? If I want my blood pressure to rise I just listen to Dan Fagan and I don't have to leave the house

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:05 PM

    Thanks for this story, Gryphen. Having attended pentecostal churches in the past, I have never seen this specific kind of hatred, but am sure it is out there, and certainly in Prevo's church. I recall a pastor years ago who's ministry was about bible prophecy. He lived in the U.S. areas where there were many gays. He must have come against this sort of hate-filled rhetoric, and decided to leave his congragation and start his outreach to homosexuals and people with AIDS. He was pretty outraged at the hate thing, and to this day, may still be operating an outreach shelter for those who are in need of love and understanding.

    Your experience, similar to a few of mine, is very hurtful and emotional. People go there to get consoled, answers, and hear this hate. The churches talk of God's love, sing and inspire, but don't act out God's love. How can they praise with one hand, and with the other, cast down one group, applauding their pastor. It's the highest order of hypocrisy. It is not their job to judge. Like it's said, He first loved us. So that we can love others.

    There are loving, understanding christians out there. More need to speak up against this kind of thing.
    Kudos to you for not insulting or bringing up Prevo's words to his face in front of the junior pastors. That says a lot. That's the walk that they should be putting in action. Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As much as I loath Jerry Prevo, all my one-on-ones with him have been cordial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just_a_Mote5:24 PM

    Gryphen, nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maine Mom5:42 PM

    Wow. I guess I should say thanks, Gryph, for your willingness to take one for the team. If it had been me sitting there listening to that litany of hatred masquerading as Christianity, I may have been tempted to pull a Joe Wilson -- and I spent my childhood attending Southern Baptist churches in Alabama (small ones -- not a Six Flags Over Jesus monster church like ABT).
    If you do go back there, please don't go alone. You'll need a witness. I don't trust these people. Stay safe, and thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gryphen, if there is any way you can get to a theater in Alaska to see Michael Moore's "Capitalism" you really would be fascinated. I went to see it this weekend mostly because every other film on the marquee is pablum, but I was very impressed. Not only is it entertaining, it has some fascinating information about how the big corporations operate and control things that was just, terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gays are easy targets, they are not moving targets. This guy Prevo is one hell of a Christian. I bet he kicks crutches out from under crippled people. If all Christians were like him I think they would be called Nazis'. Hey, didn't that happen in the thirties. Prevo is a little late but heck he's got his flock, a mindless mob that believes his every ungodly word.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6:02 PM

    did he get a new runway for his supercub across the arm at his cabin?


    jesus loved audits

    ReplyDelete
  13. CrabbyPatty6:03 PM

    IMHO,Prevo's "church" is the sort of thing that Jesus would have cast out of the temple - Matthew 11:17 - "My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations, but you have turned it into a gathering place for thieves." I'd like to see the Bible that Prevo's church reads, because it sure isn't the one that talks about love for one's neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What intestinal fortitude! The things we do in the interests of truth and full disclosure!

    OT, but did you see that Newsmax is giving away a free copy of Sarah's book with each new subscription? These are the guys who just ran the column suggesting that it's time for a military coup against the president. If you missed that gem, it's here:

    http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2009/09/full_text_of_newsmax_column_suggesting_military_co.php

    So now Sarah is pallin' around with traitors?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:16 PM

    You're a real trooper, Gryphen. Thanks for sharing your Sunday adventure!

    Frankly, I am shocked. I suspect children were sitting in the auditorium while the preacher and others were talking about sexual preference. I'm sure they think they're teaching children never to engage in such activity. Fat chance, just like that say no to drugs slogan back in the Reagan days. Not only does it strip away a child's innocence, but it sparks curiosity as well.

    I attended a church that had a preacher like that many years ago. Only his weekly fixation was about alcohol and teenagers. It didn't take me long before I had enough. I went to church to learn about Jesus, not about alcohol from a sober alcoholic turned preacher.

    Anyway, thanks for sharing your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. crystalwolf aka caligrl6:26 PM

    Well Thanks Gryphen for going into the "belly of the beast"
    We know from reading Max's book that the most homophobic pastors/preachers are the one's most consumed with "SIN"! It would be interesting to talk with some Ladies of the night or Men of the night and see where old Jerry stands. I'm betting dollars to donuts, there is a SIN somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6:38 PM

    Thanks for the evening laugh, Gryphen. Prevo and his church sound just like Rober Schuller (the shyster) and his Crystal Cathedral here in So. California. Enough to gag a maggot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous7:58 PM

    there's a ginormous Baptist church in the next city over from me. I have never set foot inside it, but I have heard they have a similar set-up, with the sound stage, cameras, lights and all.

    I shudder every 2 weeks, when I have to drive past there on my way to drop off my bulk mail. Just creeps me out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous8:50 PM

    Anon 6:38 Thank you for the memories. We visited Crystal Cathedral on a visit to California a few ears ago. To say that it is an architectural wonder is an understatement; it is an absolutely stunning building.

    So is the magnificant scale of their fund raising. All of the beautiful buildings cost a pretty donation!

    My favorite part of Crystal Cathedral's story is that they started at a drive in movie theater in the 1950's. (Does anyone remember drive in movies??) Even though today there is a stunning glass architectural wonder as a house of worship, people still come to the vast parking lot, and sit in their cars to hear the service. Just like the old drive in movie theaters, there is a speaker for each car.

    At first I wanted to laugh about California's Car Culture and people not wanting to get out of their cars. But, someone there explained that this was a good solution for families with young children who could sleep in the back seat, and for their older visitors, who now required one of the many many handicapped parking spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I recall bringing my son to a fundamentalist church I attended ! After the sermon,etc He commented that the Pastor resembled a talk show host as it turned out that was pretty much the truth ! It took some time but I came to believe that He was right ! It was one big show .By the way the bigotry was much the same.Reading your post was like deja vous .

    ReplyDelete
  21. SME1319:43 PM

    People need to understand this is not the way all baptists churches are ran. I have seen this exact thing in all types of churches, it happens once the greed sets in. It happens in Assembly of God, Baptist, Protestant, catholic etc. This is greed and self serving attitudes, not religion.

    ReplyDelete
  22. mlaiuppa9:47 PM

    You need to go to Huffington Post and read Michael Moore's piece on Capitalism versus Christianity. A good Christian cannot be a capitalist. I think Moore's next movie should be on Christianity. And it should feature these megachurches who concentrate on amassing earthly wealth and their political agendas. Neither of which is very Christian.

    He might call it "Where would Jesus worship."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Come out of her my people! (All you conservative fundamentalist Christians!) These mainstream preachers are the modern day pharisees...they aren't teaching you to follow Jesus. Jesus never said word one about homosexuals. Teaching divisiveness is easy. That's your clue right there that something's wrong.

    Jesus taught harder stuff, idealistic stuff. Love your enemies. Don't judge. Forgive everyone. Treat every person as you would treat Jesus.
    "For your Father in heaven sends his rain upon the just and the unjust. Be ye therefore perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect."

    Who has time to worry about homosexuals?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous10:26 PM

    SME131 said..."People need to understand this is not the way all baptists churches are ran."

    Yes. It is.
    It's the American way. Everbody's got a sales pitch for God and spirituality.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Apropos the pigs... were they lipsticked?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aussie Blue Sky2:57 AM

    Funny thing, all these huge edifices are financed by the same people who whine 24/7 about taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good job introducing yourself to Jerry Prevo, and for being so polite. Next time you go, if you do, bring a friend or two. He might not be so charming once he remembers exactly who you are...

    Since I'm completely unfamiliar with contemporary Xtian music, I clicked on the link that led me to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzhFyNp3Ja8, the song, "Thank You," sung by its composer, Ray Boltz. He sang in an appealing, leisurely fashion, apparently very sincere. The person who's posted that link at YouTube has updated his info to say he'll no longer add comments about how now that Boltz has come out, he'll be heading to hell, as the site had received "hundreds" of such comments. That, to me--that hundreds of YouTube posters would insist of doing that--was as edifying and shocking as anything Prevo might have to say...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous7:45 AM

    Over thirty years ago my nephew, who at that time was still in high school, decided to see what the Baptist Temple was all about. With his friend, they went into the church. I don't know how they were dressed or the details, but he said they were greeted at the door and told the church didn't want THEIR kind and to please leave. Such a Christian thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous9:34 AM

    It is my guess, Gryphen, that after your visit to Jerry Prevo's "worship me" establishment yesterday, that he is (or at least his junior pastors are) taking a look at IM.

    So, here is what I'm not afraid to say:
    It is my belief that the universe, world, our nation, our secular and sacred communities and even ourselves can be well served by a healthy respect and awe of that which is greater than ourselves (I call that "God)--not by threats, indoctrination and succumbing to abject fear and threat of hell and damnation.

    People, people, people! If you are givng your hard earned money to these blow hards (especially if it is instead of making your house payments and providing your children with food and clothing)you are kneeling before lying blackmailers. You have sold your soul--not given it over to God.

    And as to you, Jerry Prevo: You are extremely fortunate that I'm not God. Because if I were, I would, about now, be opening the lid of my little treasure box of lightning and, in the blink of an eye, turn you and your ilk into piles of ashes to be blown away in my wind.

    With that done, and with all the distractions of hatefulness and scapegoating you and your holier than thou cohorts preach out of the way, maybe-- just maybe, the concept of Christianity as it was originally intended could blossom--that is "Christianity" not "Paulianity."

    P.S. Before you open your mouth one more time, I dare you to read and preach a sermon on Mark 10:34-35 & 46 and 14:51-52. You know, naked save for a linen cloth, secret mysteries and all that--then open the floor for uncensored questions from members of your congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous1:35 PM

    I remember when Prevo first blew into town. He had a small church, I think, on DeBarr. His disciples went door-to-door trying to convince people to send their kids to Prevo's church - then he sent school buses around poor neighborhoods to pick kids up. I lived in Mt. View. Many people sent their kids. I did not - I told them, I had my own religion, I didn't need his.

    From the very beginning way back when, I always felt Prevo was a whack job. He has a political agenda, not a religious agenda; he preaches his teachings of hate not God's teachings of love they neighbor. He should be paying taxes. My first impression of Prevo - he's very effeminate - hence, his hatred of gays. He's afraid to open that closet door.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are a brave man.Mr Gryphen. Walk right up and confront the beast! I shudder even thinking of going there. Thats a whole lot of scary people.
    And i still think the front of that building looks just like an old 80's boombox. I can imagine the archetect was puffing a fat one and crankin tunes and looked at his boombox and said--yeah just put a steeple on it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous2:27 AM

    Something is just wrong with applauding in church let alone standing ovations.
    Excellent post Gryphen.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.