Monday, January 01, 2007

Should an actor's political beliefs color whether or not you enjoy their performance.

The conservative politics – contrarian to Hollywood – of former Everybody Loves Raymond star Patricia Heaton are discussed in a New York Times article published on New Year's Eve.

Five years ago, Heaton joshed on The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn, that being one of the few "Hollywood people" who isn't "shy about" admitting their preferences for the Republican Party and President George Bush had its benefits.

"Yeah, and all these Democratic friends who, you know, are like 'I can't believe you voted for Bush' and I was like 'Hey, I get a tax refund, thank you very much,'" Heaton joked.

I am a huge fan of the "Everybody loves Raymond" show. And Patricia Heaton is an excellent part of that amazing cast.

I started watching the show before I knew anything about Heaton's politics. As I started to hear of her involvement in certain events, and then the disasterous film "The Path to 9/11" which attempted to lay the blame on Clinton, I began to think of her differently.

The other day when I was watching an episode of ELR that I had seen before, it just came off different to me. Suddenly Heaton's character seemed harsher, less lovable, I actually started to dislike her.

I just thought that was a shame. I mean her politics should not color my perception of her art. But it does. So now I find myself unable to enjoy one of my favorite sitcoms in the same way I used to.

I can't help wondering if this is how many African-american people are going to view reruns of "Seinfeld".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.