Congressional Democrats have put on the back burner legislation ordering troops home from Iraq and turned their attention to war-related proposals that Republicans are finding hard to reject.
The legislative agenda marks a dramatic shift for party leaders who vowed repeated votes to end combat and predicted Republicans would eventually join them. But with Democrats still lacking enough votes to bring troops home, the party runs the risk of concluding its first year in control of Congress with little to show for its tough anti-war rhetoric.
I registered as a Democrat in 2004 to elect "anybody but Bush".
I voted for every Democrat I could to get us out of Iraq.
I blog constantly about our terrible situation.
I have sent several e-mails to my Alaskan representatives. (Even though they are all Republicans and undoubtedly don't even bother to read them.)
I have added my name to numerous petitions demanding that our Senate and Congress do something to get us out of the Iraq war and to keep us from going into Iran.
I am doing everything I can think to do.
And all I ask is that our Democratic Senators and representatives do the same.
oh gryphen, I do sympathize. As a life-long Dem, from a family of FDR Democrats, I was feeling so abandoned by this current crop of go-along get-along don't-make-wavers, that when I had to re-register a couple yrs ago, I went with "non-affiliated". Now I feel left out of everything, can't even vote in the primaries.
ReplyDeleteps, I can't even imagine what Ted Stevens thinks if he bothers to read his email. I picture him like Scrooge yelling Bah! Humbug! to every reasonable plea from his constituents.
Gryphen, like you I have no representation in D.C. Until politics and corporations are separated this won't change, either.
ReplyDelete