Friday, December 19, 2008

In my effort to find positive stories about Sarah Palin I bring you this: Palin proposes new effort for rural Alaska

Gov. Sarah Palin appointed members of her Cabinet on Thursday to a new group charged with finding ways to make Alaska's rural areas better places to live.

Called the Rural Subcabinet, the group of top department heads will be told to look at two big issues, energy costs and out-migration from rural Alaska, and make proposals aimed at creating well-paying jobs, stronger schools, safer communities and better public works facilities.

In announcing the new subcabinet, Palin said that while some out-migration was natural, it isn't always.

"I want the Rural Subcabinet to look for ways to make certain migration is a result of personal decisions, not despair or a lack of choice resulting from economic pressures or other factors," she said.

Tracked by school enrollment numbers, population in rural Alaska has been shrinking steadily but dramatically over many years.

I have been very critical of Governor Palin for some time lately, and I am confident I will find many reasons to do so in the future, but on this issue I am happy that at least Palin recognizes there is a very serious problem in rural Alaska.

These villages are struggling for their very survival. Alcohol and drug addiction are rampant in the villages, the cost of heating oil is through the roof, and there have been a rash of teen suicides this past month.

Something needs to be done. And while I am not terribly confident that this Rural Subcabinet will solve the problem, at least Palin is trying. So that is a gold star for her.

But don't think I am going soft on our limelight seeking Governor. I am still seething over her lack of response concerning those racist e-mails, and I want to know how much she knew about the drug activity of her future in-law, Sherry L. Johnston. I mean how can somebody live in a tiny community like Wasilla and NOT know that the mother of the guy sleeping with your daughter is involved with the distribution of drugs? Not to mention Palin was once the MAYOR of that town!

Something stinks here, and it is not just the smell of Methamphetamine cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.