Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sarah Palin comes out in favor of parental consent for abortions.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is backing legislation that would require parental consent for a minor to have an abortion in Alaska.

Palin has voiced strong anti-abortion views, which endeared her to social conservatives in the recent presidential race, but has not pushed that agenda until now.

The bill would revise the Parental Consent Act passed by the Legislature in 1997, which was overturned 3-2 by the Alaska Supreme Court in 2007. The court held that the parental consent requirement was unconstitutional because it infringed on a pregnant teen's right to reproductive freedom.

The court is more conservative now with a Palin-appointee replacing a justice who cast a vote to overturn.

Gee we almost went an entire day without the Palinator raising her evil head.

So now she is going to decide that young women cannot be in charge of their own bodies until they are old enough to leave their parents houses? You know lady not every mother is willing to strap on an empathy belly and pretend to be pregnant to protect their little snowflake from the embarrassment of being a unwed teenage mother. (Of course in Governor Sarah's case that is a one time offer, for the second pregnancy it is national ridicule and a trip under the bus tires for you.) Some young women may actually be expected to raise the product of their drunken prom fling while working at Hooters five nights a week to pay for baby formula and diapers.

Alaska judges have already found this law to be unconstitutional and just because Palin managed to find one of her Palinistas to join the Alaska Supreme Court does not make it right to revisit this issue.

Look I know this whole thing is controversial, and I am just a man so my opinion matters very little, but I work with many of the children who have been abandoned by mothers who found out that making a baby was a lot more fun then raising one.

The idea that every unwanted child will automatically be adopted by some loving family that is desperate to provide them a home, a college education, and a trust fund, is huge pile of horse shit.

The reality is that a number of these children end up being dumped on the very grandmother who refused to let their baby girl have a tiny bundle of cells removed from her body, while the young mother tries to grow up fast enough to both care for the child and also find some poor schmuck that will stand in for the absentee father.

Or if not that then the child ends up in the foster care system when the teenage mothers unsophisticated attempts to parent them damages the child to the point that they become unmanageable. Then the child finds themselves shuffled from one home full of people who want to be called "Mommy" and "Daddy" to another asking for the same privilege but ready to expel them the minute they do not turn out to be some version of the little boy from "Leave it to Beaver". The foster care system in Alaska is literally bursting at the seams.

And sure the third scenario is that they actually give birth to a beautiful healthy baby that they still find the strength to give up so that it can be adopted by a family that cannot have one of their own. But that scenario works out best when your child is Caucasian. If your baby is an Alaskan native, or African American, or some other less desirable minority, the chances of that perfect solution is greatly reduced. I mean Angelina Jolie cannot adopt every unwanted child in the world.

I know I am coming off a little insensitive here, but nothing could be further from the truth.

You see I have cared for these children that are left behind. I have taught them to read when they were seven years old and nobody ever took the time to even help them learn the alphabet. I have held them as they cried when the scheduled visit with their biological parents fell through again because mom was too high to show up. I have advocated for their rights when it seemed nobody else could care less. And I have taught them that not all grownups make promises that they cannot keep.

I never talk about my jobs on this blog, but trust that I have earned the right to say that if you have any doubt about whether you want to be a parent, then DON'T BE ONE. Being a parent is not something you can try for awhile and then quit when it proves too hard. Being a parent when you are a child yourself means that you will always feel you have had something stolen from you, and you may even blame your own baby. Being an unwed mother means that you not only have to find somebody who loves, you, but also somebody who loves the baby that you made while loving somebody else. Nothing about it is easy.

And nobody should have the right to make you do it, if you are not ready. Not even the Governor.

Bristol Palin herself said that teaching "abstinence only" is not realistic. And that may be the smartest thing to come out of a Palin's mouth in years.

So yeah teenagers are gong to have sex. Tell them to wait until marriage if you want to , but also teach them that if they are going to have sex (and they are), to be responsible with their irresponsibility and wear a condom, take the pill, put in a diaphragm, and hell keep a fire extinguisher by the bed while you are at it as well. In other words just take as many precautions as humanly possible.

Because choices made as a teenager should not change our lives forever.

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:39 PM

    As a former child protective caseworker, I agree 100%. No one, no matter what age, should be forced to bear a child they do not want. And it is the epitome of arrogance for Sarah Palin to think that her views should be made into state law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:42 PM

    Very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:57 PM

    I support it... as long is parental consent is required for a minor to have sex.

    Starting with the Palins.

    If not, all bets are off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:08 PM

    If you live in Alaska and think that SP should be impeached, email: impeach_palin@yahoo.com. We need to start thinking along those lines, just want to see how much support is out there. Pass the email address on to your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parental consent is required for any medical procedure performed on a minor; abortion should not be an exception.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The religious right does not believe that teens have sex. They believe in wishful thinking. But they can't even approach the idea that teens are sexual beings and for god's sakes, who thinks about sex more than teens!? So to preach abstinence without also telling teens how to protect themselves if they do chose to have sex, is dangerous, cruel and ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:56 AM

    As a woman, I am with you here Gryphen. I have never had an abortion, but I do have very close friends who have. You have said everything I tell so called "pro-lifers" when they go on and on about protecting the unborn. The overwhelming majority of these people are PRO-BIRTH, and that's where it ends...they could care less what happens to these kids once they are born, and they do not support programs and funding for teen mothers, subsidized daycare, jobs programs, and early childhood education, because that's "WELFARE". Why is that?

    Our foster care system is broken and underfunded. Here in the Washington DC area we had a case last year of an adoptive mother who abused her 3 daughters for years, starved them to death, and kept their dead carcasses in her house for months. No case workers ever went looking for them, or reported the mother to authorities until it was too late for those girls. These types of cases are all too common here...and those are just the ones that make the news.

    For Gods sake look at the Caylee Anthony nightmare...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:15 AM

    As a former attender of churches that were similar to the ones SP attends, I saw all the gory anti abortion pics in the church foyers. Funny how I never saw the pictures posted that FW mentioned though of dead starving abused children. No one really wants abortion really. But no one should be saddled with a baby before they are ready for it. I admire Bristol saying what she did on Faux News. Too bad that this young woman is being subjected to so much flak. I really feel badly for all of SP's children, they are having a hard time growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:28 AM

    Am I foolish for asking if "why don't guys wear a condom every single time they don't want to make babies?"

    See, it takes two to make a baby.

    Aren't these men interested in protecting themselves against any possible infection? Where are these young ladies at as far as holding the fathers equally accountable for their offspring?

    ReplyDelete
  10. if there is a girl who is afraid of her parents, and can't confide in her mother about a pregnancy, there must be a problem with the parents. Why punish her further?

    ugh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:28 AM

    Yes, I think a majority of teenage girls not getting parental consent are ones that are "afraid".. not just little floozies like they are made out to be

    As for "loving the fetus, but not the baby" ..

    Again, agree
    I was 22, unmarried, unemployed (was a full time student), living with my mom and pregnant. My health insurance (under my mom, expired 1 month prior to giving birth) .. I was in a doozy
    Now I wanted my son.

    Growing up in a crazy church I attended Anti Abortion rallies and knew they do help out financially so I called on .. and "acted like I was on the verge of an abortion" so I could get help.
    They ended up being extremly nice people.. bought me maternity clothes and gave me a cradle and "starter things"

    They paid for my insurance until after I gave birth (then I went on Medicaid but wanted to give birth with the same dr. that saw me my entire pregnancy) .. so they helped with that

    For the next year, every month I would visit and I'd get a box of clothes/toys.

    Then I was on my own.

    I was "OK" but I always thought.. geesh.. actually the first year, stress wise, is easy.. it's the toddler years.. ect.... that are the hardest

    There was no follow up .. nothing.
    Now I had my mom and family.. as I said I was "ok" .. but good grief ! The first years worth of clothes and toys.. how does that assist someone in raising a child ?

    It is very nice.. and I always have fond feelings.. but it is warped..

    I don't like abortions.. I am pro-contraceptives.. but unless you walk a mile in ones shoes.. you shouldn't make Laws that can have such significant outcomes..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:21 AM

    Awesome post Gryphen! You are so right about everything.
    Is this the same person she JUST appointed? If so, I thought that person was not a judge?
    We just had the crazy fundy's here in Cali trying to push this on us, and It was rejected!
    I had my Son when I was 17 1/2. 37 years later I do not regret. I did have the option of choice and I believe every woman should...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:35 AM

    Just google "Benita Jacks" and you will see why I am now and always have been pro choice. She actually had 4 daughters that she murdered in DC last year, and she goes on trial in July.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:51 PM

    My stance on the issue of parental permission for abortion was galvanized in 1981 when a Michigan judge dragged his heels in making a decision for an 11 year old girl who had been raped by her mother's live-in boyfriend. The fifth grade girl understandably didn't want to be pregnant. She became a ward of the court when this same judge determined that the mother had neglected her daughter by allowing the boyfriend to live with them. Then, for some reason, the mother was granted temporary custody of her daughter. This mother refused to give permission for her 11 year old child to have an abortion. The probate judge, Donald Halstead, was ordered by a Fed judge to make a ruling before the child entered the third trimester. He conveniently delayed his ruling until -- Ooops. Too late. No abortion for you. The child carried the baby to term, gave birth when she was 12 and within a fairly short period of time ( I lived in Kalamazoo at the time, but memory is not serving) she lost custody of the baby due to neglect, I believe. Can't remember if the grandmother was given custody or if the baby became another statistic in the foster care program. Imagine being this little girl, raped by your mom's boyfriend and then being told by your mother (who is supposed to protect you) that you will have to deliver and care for this man's baby when you are still a child yourself. You had NO say when you were being raped and now you have NO say about the aftermath. This case speaks volumes about the need to keep abortion legal and readily available to those children and teens living in such dire circumstances with contemptible so-called "adults".

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's very shocking Sarah is behind such a bill, so I guess one side of me is at least she's understanding abortion to a certain degree.

    But!

    Sarah must be thrilled that these young girls will have to go to their abusive mother/father to get permission to have an abortion now. Can you imagine what will happen? Damn! I don't even want to think about it. American Taliban comes to mind...

    How about teaching the use of birth control, Sarah? Oh wait! That makes too much sense and you don't believe in it!

    Stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9:56 AM

    I heard the pres conference and the stories Palin and the others told to illustrate the supposed "correctness" of their position. The one about how Track could not get his dislocated shoulder treated without consent fit in the general tone of, well geesh, how can a girl get an abortion on her own then? But no one spoke about the illegal abortions that WILL happen. Or what is a girl to do who is fearful of being beaten by her parents for being a slut when she fesses up? Or who has been raped by a relative perhaps? Or who does not want this child? The mindlessness of it all is astounding but then that is your Gov. It falls in with SP's general ideological drivel about soooooo many things.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.