Saturday, June 01, 2013

Sometimes those who play heroes in television and movies are equally heroic off the screen. It is my pleasure to present to you Sir Patrick Stewart.

This is incredibly emotional story comes from the blog of a young woman who is a HUGE Star Trek fan as well as the survivor of domestic abuse. She happened to get the opportunity to ask her hero Jean Luc Picard a question during a comic book convention.

THIS is the amazing response:

I went to Comicpalooza this weekend and I was full of nervous energy as I was standing in line to ask Sir Patrick Stewart a question at his panel. I first had to thank him for a speech he had given at amnesty international about domestic violence towards women . I had only seen it a few months ago but I was still dealing with my own personal experience with a similar issue, and I didn’t know what to call it. After seeing Patrick talk so personally about it I finally was able to correctly call it abuse, in my case sexual abuse that was going to quickly turn into physical abuse as well. I didn’t feel guilty or disgusting anymore. I finally didn’t feel responsible for the abuse that was put upon me. I was finally able to start my healing process and to put that part of my life behind me. 


After thanking him I asked him “Besides acting, what are you most proud of that you have done in you life (that you are willing to share with us)?”. Sir Patrick told us about how he couldn’t protect his mother from abuse in his household growing up and so in her name works with an organization called Refuge for safe houses for women and children to escape from abusive house holds. Sir Patrick Stewart learned only last year that his father had actually been suffering from PTSD after he returned from the military and was never properly treated. In his father’s name he works with an organization called Combat Stress to help those soldiers who are suffering from PTSD. 

They were about to move onto the next question when Sir Patrick looked at me and asked me “My Dear, are you okay?” I said yes, and that I was finally able to move on from that part of my life. He then passionately said that his mother had done nothing to provoke his father and that even if she had, violence was never, ever a choice a man should make. That it is in the power of men to stop violence towards women. The moderator then asked “Do you want a hug?” 

Sir Patrick didn’t even hesitate, he smiled, hopped off the stage and came over to embrace me in a hug. Which he held me there for a long while. He told me “You never have to go through that again, you’re safe now.” 

I couldn’t stop thanking him. His embrace was so warm and genuine. It was two people, two strangers, supporting and giving love. And when we pulled away he looked strait in my eyes, like he was promising that. He told me to take care. And I will.



Here is the video of their exchange. On it you can hear the passion with which this amazing gentleman discusses the importance for young men to recognize that it is up to THEM to stop the violence against women.

That is a very powerful message coming from an iconic figure who deserves every bit of the admiration and love that he receives from his fans.

We need many more just like him.

24 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:17 AM

    What a beautiful person - restores my faith in humanity!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally in MI3:24 AM

    Wow. The man is incredible. And this, GOP, is what is wrong with your policies against women. Never once do you ask men to STOP rape, to stop taking women for grnated, to stop assuming that if you want to take advantage of a girl or a woman, that that is your right. Respect is not taking away our rights but treating us as human beings. And that is what the GOP does not get. All human beings are worthy of respect, no matter their birthplace, their skin color, their sexual orientation, their income level, their education level, or especially, their sex. We are worthy. We are important. And we will not be taken advantage of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fromthediagonal4:47 PM

      Thank you, Sally, for your thoughts.
      Respect is one of the most important aspects of society... or should be. Respect it the great equalizer, but there is more to it: Every action has consequences, and taking responsibility for one's actions, and anticipating the consequences is totally and gleefully absent from the pronouncements and actions of the GOPTP.
      This is at the root of our recalcitrant, reality denying, dysfunctional Congress and party system at all levels of our society.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:27 AM

    Thank you for posting this! Now I admire Patrick Stewart even more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A J billings3:50 AM

    Great post Gryphen. Consider what a beautiful planet we still have, and how fine a human society we could enjoy if more people had the understanding and compassion of Sir Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:56 AM

    Thanks for sharing this moving article. We definitely need more like him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fromthediagonal4:09 AM

    He is an actor, and while his cadences might be dismissed as related to his profession by some viewers, I found it very telling that he tightly crossed his arms at the beginning of the query and throughout his reply periodically dug in his fingers as if using pain to steady himself.

    That seems a subconscious reaction in answer to an unexpected query.

    Yes, I cried...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:18 AM

      I was totally taken in by the body language as well. I so admire the way he is choosing to deal with this pain. Many go the opposite direction and become abusive themselves. I have always admired this man as an actor, now I love him for his beautiful soul. i cried too.

      Delete
    2. OK, I have to come clean, I was a HUGE Trekkie for a couple years of my childhood, and still love TNG& have fond memories. When thinking or making impt/tough decisions on the show "Jean-luc" (Stewart) would do the crossed arm thing. It must be what he truly does in real life, his thinking pose just filtered down to his character. And I agree, I'm even more in love w/him. (Though as a kid it was Wil Wheaton who starred in my pre and early adolescent fantasies! Everyone else seemed way too old! Funny how your perspective changes as you age... ;-)) And I agree, a wonderful man...

      Delete
  7. Anonymous5:35 AM

    A man of great talent and, more importantly, of great compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:07 AM

    Tears here. What a compassionate and genuine man. Bravo Sir Patrick!

    Sheesh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boscoe6:21 AM

    Now just for a second, let's imagine how this scene might have been different if it had been Pat Robertson or that Fischer guy up there. I expect it would have been something more along the lines of:

    "Well, men are men and God gives them that strength and aggressiveness to protect you and sometimes they make bad choices about when to apply it. So you just need to work harder to make his life so wonderful that he'd never dream of hitting you. Now go make me a sammich, woman!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon6:55 AM

    Simply wow...thank you so much for this post. They say you marry your father....and I broke the chain of violence in my life by divorcing an extremely abusive husband with 2 toddlers. In both cases it was very obvious the abuse suffered by these men came from a horrible relationship with their mothers that ruled like a dictator. Submissive husbands that set such terrible examples on how to be a man built up so much pressure to dominate your spouse and children, understanding that now...violence was inevitable. I was the only girl with 2 older brothers...both of which followed in his footsteps, we are all divorced and estranged. The cause of violence is totally different in this story, but the result is the same. I raised 2 daughters with an almost pathological sense to never allow anyone to abuse them for whatever reason, sadly it only worked with one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saw this this morning; posted on my FB by a friend; I immediately shared it on my page. Being in the mental health field, we are seeing more clients for whom PTSD is a part of the picture. This video meant something to me personally and professionally. Thank you Gryphen for also doing a post about it. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:43 AM

    I've always liked him for his acting, his looks, and his voice. I knew little about him otherwise.

    Now I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this video--this man does good work--and he uses his public platform to bring attention to two pressing evils in our society. I particularly admire him for working to not only protect women, but to deal with the issue that led to the violence in his childhood--his father's PTSD. It's easy to demonize abusers--and it's true they do great harm--it's less easy to look past the pain to the common humanity, recognize the roots of their violence, and then working to address those.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:57 AM

    Okay,I cried. What a wonderful person he is! My heart goes out to her. My wish is for this be a huge step in her healing and moving forward into a positive life of hope and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now this is a real man!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Thank-you for posting this wonderful video ! I cried too. Near the end of the video Patrick speaks glowingly about the mayor of Dallas,Mike Rawlings. I know you like to get in your digs against Texas and Texans, but there are some great people here too. Y'all come see us sometime !

    ReplyDelete
  17. We need more men to step up and speak against objectifying and abusing women instead of making snide comments and jokes.

    All those ol' ball and chain jokes are exactly what we don't need. We don't need them denigrating women. It all just justifies the abuse when neaderthals decide to take whatever it is that is bothering them out of the women in their lives.

    And we certainly don't need the G NO P continuing to push legislation that makes women property, slaves or third class citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Who Patrick Stewart is comes through in his performance of Jean Luc Picard. I recently watched quite a few episodes of The Next Generation because that show makes me feel comfortable. I would have fit in with people who made decisions based on not harming others, worked together without ill will towards others, did their work as best they could and were highly ethical. I know many other people feel the same way. It really helps me understand why the bullying, community mobbing and government mobbing occurred in AK.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I cried too. Thank you, Sir Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anita Winecooler6:13 PM

    What a powerful example he's set! I have to applaud him for working through his parents relationship, being able to separate his father's misdiagnosed mental illness from the man his father was vs what the illness made him become.

    Clearly, he's reconciled the family dynamic he was raised in and has the humanity to reach out to others. By sharing his experience and honestly wanting to help this woman heal on her journey, he's using his celebrity to teach men to respect women and that violence is never acceptable.

    I always admired him, but knowing this makes me like him more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous6:17 AM

    You know he had to have an amazing mother to become such a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.