Monday, September 22, 2014

More than 300,000 march in New York City to bring attention to climate change.

Courtesy of HuffPo: 

More than 300,000 people turned out for the People's Climate March in New York City on Sunday, just days before many of the world's leaders are expected to debate environmental action at the United Nations climate summit. 

Early reports from event organizers are hailing the turnout as the largest climate march in history, far bigger than the Forward on Climate rally held in Washington, D.C., last year. High-profile environmentalists including Bill McKibben, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jane Goodall and Vandana Shiva marched alongside policymakers such as Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.). U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and former Vice President Al Gore were also there, and more than 550 buses carried in people from around the country. 

The rally comes at an opportune time as 120 world leaders, including President Barack Obama, are expected to convene Tuesday at the United Nations in New York to discuss ways to tackle the growing threat of carbon pollution. 

More than 1,500 groups filled Central Park West before the march. They represented a variety of interests, including the scientific community and religious organizations. More than 50,000 students were there because they were worried about their future, while grandparents came out of concern for their legacy.

The New York Times added this:  

Climates marches were held across the globe on Sunday, from Paris to Papua New Guinea, and with world leaders gathering at the United Nations on Tuesday for a climate summit meeting, marchers said the timing was right for the populist message in support of limits on carbon emissions. The signs that marchers held were as varied as the movement: “There is No Planet B,” “Forests Not for Sale” and “Jobs, Justice, Clean Energy.”

Sometimes I have to remind myself that as important as it is to speak out about GOP policies, and as much fun as it is to reveal the newest Sarah Palin lie, that there are issues of incredible importance that require our attention, and indeed the attention of the entire planet, as well.

And this is certainly one of the MOST important.

My daughter is my own personal Jiminy Cricket on this subject, and is always sending me articles about renewable energy, or recycling, or which companies we should buy from because they are environmentally friendly.

Trust me if she had her way this blog would be all about renewable energy, all the time.

Well that and eating organically, which is another of her pet projects.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:27 AM

    When I saw photos of the marchers, I was amazed by their numbers. Amazed, but yet I still feel hopeless about the climate changing future. The U.S. government, including the White House, will ultimately do nothing truly meaningful to change the status quo. I mean, the president recently opened the east coast up to offshore drilling. He said FUCK YOU to the environment, loud and clear; instead, his actions told the fossil fuel industry that he only cared about helping them to keep amassing obscene profits. I would love to know what your daughter thinks about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:28 AM

    I was there; it was seriously more than 300,000. March was bottlenecked for two hours because so many people kept joining from feeder streets. It was a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:32 AM

    Proud to say 2 of my friends travelled from Tampa to participate in this march.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:56 AM

    I convinced my husband, who is working in NYC, to walk in the March for/with me. He called me while he did it, so that I could "be there" with him. He is not a demonstrator type, and would not have done it without my urging, but last night, I could tell that he had been uplifted by his involvement; greatly so, in fact. So, when I get there tomorrow; I'm going over to the U.N. Building, to join whatever throng is there. It is such an important issue! And even if we all just take small steps to curb our use of resources, it's better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:32 AM

    Let's compare. Bundy militias shutting down the border bridges: five local yokels. People of the world concerned about the air we breathe and the water we drink: 300 thousand strong, with millions cheering them on. Time for the GOP to get on the right side of history. Guns versus clean air and water...hmmm. Should be a no-brainer for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:44 AM

      Great comparison!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous6:39 AM

    My daughter sent me a photo from the NY march. It is wonderful that people stand up for their beliefs seeking positive change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:01 AM

    I like that there were so many young people there, and so many nations represented, each with their own particular issues over Climate Change.
    I also like that it was a peaceable gathering; a giant swell of folks who feel strongly, and who don't just sit on their couch or at their computers whining about things.
    I am not a perfect "green", but I sure do try to be thrifty and wise-use as much as possible. I also happen to live where forest fires have denuded the mountains of their trees, so it hits home to me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:41 AM

    That is so embarrassing for us and for the movement! That's the problem with the pro-pot movement, a bunch of reactionary types with no sense of decorum whatsoever representing it.

    We don't need "pro-pot" people going off half cocked and spewing profanity on air! Get a grip people and represent this cause like mature adults not like a bunch of drug dealers selling pot on the corner!

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.