Saturday, November 22, 2014

Before he leaves the Senate Alaska's Mark Begich would like to do something about those SuperPAC robo-calls.

Courtesy of The Hill:

Sen. Mark Begich (D-Alaska) is taking a departing shot at super-PACs following his defeat in the Alaska Senate race. 

 Begich introduced legislation Thursday that would add super-PACs and other outside groups to the list of groups that must comply with the National Do Not Call Registry. 

His legislation, titled The Do Not Disturb Act, would also keep people on the list from receiving robocalls and "push polls," which are surveys that attempt to get a desired result with leading questions. 

"I have long been an advocate for protecting Alaskans’ privacy and for limiting the ability of outside groups to spend endless amounts of money on our elections,” said Begich, a member of the Commerce Committee. 

“I heard from Alaskans all across the state during the campaign, and enough is enough. My bill will allow individuals to opt out of receiving these sorts of pestering phone calls from super-PACs and similar groups,” he added. 

If Begich is successful this may be the most impactful, and welcome, legislation that he has ever introduced.

As I have mentioned before the number of calls I received from pollsters, recorded campaign messages, and other interested parties, was completely overwhelming.

I quite literally hated the sound of my phone ringing. It seemed like it was never a call that I wanted to take.

Personally I think this is a good step, but I would also like to see something done about the advertisements that pop up on every YouTube video that I tried to watch this last few months, and the avalanche of television advertising that seemed to use up every second of commercial airtime since August.

And it is no wonder that Begich is the one to spearhead this effort.

I think it is pretty clear that he lost this race solely due to the efforts of outside groups, and that without the interference of the folks like Karl Rove and the Koch brothers he would have almost certainly retained his Senate seat.

Instead we are stuck with a political whore bought and paid for with corporate money, who has little interest in anything that Alaskans need or want, and is solely focused on pleasing his masters.

14 comments:

  1. paul revere9:22 AM

    I'm all for it and will ask my Sens. and Rep. in Massachusetts to vote for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:55 AM

      Please take the few moments to get in touch with your Senators and Representative to support Sen. Begich's bill. It's great to "support" it, but he needs names in Washington who'll vote for it.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:16 AM

    ot

    Did he thank Mark Begich? Junker thanks the state of Alaska.
    http://websta.me/p/858908286496276238_51089094

    Alaska Department of Revenue - Tax Division, is responsible for the Alaska film produ
    http://commerce.state.ak.us/ded/dev/film

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:34 AM

    http://hellobeautiful.com/2014/11/20/nikki-giovanni-bill-cosby-comments/.VG59-zDC6Aw.facebook

    Bill Cosby take down, when Bill was too busy making a name for himself as a Conservative hating on Blacks for being bad parents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:27 AM

      Writer, poet and scholar Nikki Giovanni

      http://hellobeautiful.com/2014/11/20/nikki-giovanni-bill-cosby-comments/

      'Cosby out for being elitist and out of touch' I agree with Giovanni. Cosby out of touch goes back before 2007. He may have had early Oldtimers Disease.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:30 AM

      10:34 AM For crying out loud! We aren't talking about Bill Cosby here - we're discussing Senator Mark Begich. Find another blog to pass on your crud about Cosby!

      Delete
    3. Anonymous7:38 PM

      excellent video thanks for sharing

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:50 AM

    I so agree w/Senator Begich on this legislation. I wonder if he'll actually get approval when it comes to be voted upon?

    I'm going to miss having Senator Begich as my Senator because I literally have no respect for the one that bought the election- the carpetbagger from Ohio and the east coast! Senator Begich is a true Alaskan and has always worked for us since first serving on the Assembly in Anchorage, then Mayor of Anchorage and Senator in the U.S. Congress!

    I hope Senator Begich runs against Murkowski and knocks her out of her position. She's a jerk and not reliable when it comes to Alaskans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:31 PM

      I, too want Murkowski gone. She endorsed the carpetbagger and accused Mark of negative campaigning. I guess she forgot(conveniently so) her campaign against Joe Miller. It was anything goes. She begged to be re-elected, and when she was, she promptly forgot women and the Military. My husband is retired military and we can't wait for her next run. Come on Lisa. Bring it!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:29 PM

      I kind of hope that Mark lives his life in the private sector from now on, make a bunch of money, live happily and not be involved in this sham that we call a government. If I was in his shoes I'd spend the rest of my time on this earth saying "fuck all" to trying to make a difference and buying a bunch of vacation homes in warm lands and spending my time out of the conservative hell hole that Alaska has become.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:51 AM

    I quit answering my phone the month or so before the election. I'd support it to,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:24 AM

    He's got my support. I got so sick of those calls that I got rid of my land line and only give my cell out when I absolutely must.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:56 PM

    He heard a lot from many of us regarding the mail bombardment that we received both from his corporate supporters as well as Sullivan's. This entire election was a joke of overload, both phone calls to people with landlines and so much crap in our mailboxes, for both candidates. I even received a call on my cellphone! The reason I don't have a landline is to avoid shit like that and to have it happen on my cell was just unbelievable.

    I'm happy he got the message but I don't think he'll get far with this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:12 PM

    Here's how I ended up handling the endless stream of push-poll calls: I answered everything OPPOSITE of what the leading questions were driving at: I LOVED having that big big, bad ObamaCare. I was SO in favor of more LAWS to restrict my FREEEEdums and lawdy, lawdy, forgive me dis, I liked dat black man who is gunna take my pistols and raise my taxes on me.

    When the live pollsters didn't hang up on me, I imagine my answers ended up not really countin'. But you know what? I sure entertained myself!

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.