Sunday, December 21, 2014

Sony decides to release "The Interview" after all. Online.

Courtesy of The New York Post: 

Sony’s current plan for “The Interview’’ is to release the controversial comedy for free on Crackle, the streaming service it owns, sources said Sunday. 

Following Sony’s decision to pull the James Franco-Seth Rogan movie after hackers working for North Korean threatened violence, President Obama criticized the studio for being “intimidated by these kind of criminal attacks.’’

I have to admit that I had no idea that Crackle even existed since I really don't like to watch movies on my computer.  (It actually has quite a lot of content. And it's all free.)

However I feel that at this point it is almost my patriotic duty to watch this film which might explain why Reince Priebus, Chairman of the RNC, has been pushing for its release as well.

As for whether or not this movie is even worth watching, well as least one film critic thinks that it is:'

He also is bewildered as to what the North Koreans found so objectionable:

As Skylark's (James Franco) interview nears, their assassination attempts fail and ethical quandaries mount. Skylark and Kim ("a cool guy," pleads Skylark) become fast friends, palling around together and shooting off tanks. If anything, the film, written by Dan Sterling from the story by Goldberg and Rogen (their second time directing after the better "This Is the End"), verges on making Kim too likable. 

And while the movie leads to a fiery end and a slow reveal of the famine Kim inflicts on his people, most who see "The Interview" will say to themselves: THIS is what prompted an international incident? There's nothing scandalous about "The Interview," unless you happen to believe Kim is a god who rides around on unicorns.

Sounds potentially entertaining,  I for one am going to watch it.

So just in case the North Koreans are planning to hack the computer of every single person who watches the film online, I have placed all my nude selfies and scandalous e-mails in a folder on my desktop entitled "Kim Jong Un lease don't look in here."

What can I say, I like to be neat and tidy.

22 comments:

  1. Dinty4:34 PM

    You can watch Crackle on your TV if you have Roku, which is an online streaming box that costs something like $50. It also lets you install other streaming services as well like Amazon Prime and Netflix.

    Crackle also streams the new Seinfeld project Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita Winecooler4:41 PM

    I'll be watching. My husband has a relatively new computer from work that keeps messing up, soooooo it's coming home so we can stream it without worrying about our own computers. Hell, if it's good enough, I'll buy the tee shirt, coffee mug etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:47 PM

    "Santa Fe author and theater owner George R.R. Martin is basically telling North Korea to “bring it on.”
    Martin wrote in his online “Not A Blog” (http://grrm.livejournal.com/396855.html) that he would be happy to screen “The Interview” in Santa Fe at his Jean Cocteau Cinema – if Sony ever makes it available.

    http://www.abqjournal.com/515190/news/cocteau-cinema-offers-to-show-the-interview.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to pass even though it's free, not anything I would go see anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:51 PM

    I watch a lot of content "online" but stream it to my TV from my Macbook or iPad or iPhone via my Apple TV. Our Apple TV comes with all sorts programming choices, some of which we pay for (Netflix)and some free. However, my Amazon Prime content I can only watch on my computer which I link to my TV screen for viewing. I guess I have to purchase the Amazon Fire box or USB dongle to get Amazon Prime content live on my TV. Too many choices for viewing these days and there are so many things that I never end up watching from my DVR or a lot of Netflix original programming that I neglect to watch (House of Cards was on the schedule but watched first season and never tuned back in) As we used to joke back in the 90's "Too Much Input"...little did we know :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:51 AM

      Most Smart TV's also have Crackle as a built in App, along with Amazon DIgital. I believe Crackle is also an option on my DVD/Blue Ray player, but I usually use my Appletv as well, it's just easier!

      Delete
    2. How do I do that?

      I have an apple tv and I know I'm supposed to be able to use it to show stuff from my computer but I've gone through the menu and can't find where I can do that.

      Delete
  6. Balzafiar5:05 PM

    I agree that it is our patriotic duty to watch it. It should give us all a good feeling to watch Kim Jong Uh's head explode, anyway. Plus, it is free -- that alone makes it good.

    Also too, I did download your selfies and I must say, it was a big waste of bandwidth. As a public service you should remove them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:28 PM

      Was he hanging from a chandelier? LOL

      Delete
  7. Anonymous5:12 PM

    Meanwhile, $arah exclaims, "a folder named 'Don't Look In Here' was all it took? And here I've been paying these security guys all these years when that money could have been mine. ALL mine."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:25 PM

    I don't consider it my patriotic duty to watch any piece of crap movie, including this one, just to prop up a company that is as criminally careless and irresponsible with its employees' personal information as Sony is, which is how and why Sony brought this disaster all upon itself, and why I have zero sympathy for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:04 PM

      I haven't given Hollywood a dime in years and don't plan to anytime soon. That being said, I'll wait Gryph's review to see if was worth the hype it got.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous7:03 PM

    Dish satilite has dropped fox news..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:16 PM

      Sarah got cable or satellite dish?

      Delete
    2. 7:03 I can only hope.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous8:33 PM

      Unfortunately it sounds like it might not be permanent, just temporary until they can come to a contract agreement. Makes for a good laugh though...I bet when it went dark last night a bunch of crazy wingers were blaming it on Obama. "Damn Liberals done gone and killed Fox News"!

      ;-)

      http://www.wsj.com/articles/dish-drops-fox-news-channel-fox-business-network-1419142086

      Delete
  10. Great post! Now that's my G! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't find any MSM confirming this story. Are you sure you can trust your source?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:30 AM

    Does anybody else get the feeling we've been taken in this whole matter? This could have been Sony's endgame all along. But they sure drummed up some interest and support for this badly panned movie. Now if we can just figure out how they plan to profit from this?

    Maybe getting people to watch crackle and get used to watching it free, then start charging for it?

    I'm sorry, I can't help being cynical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balzafiar4:57 AM

      "I'm sorry, I can't help being cynical."

      It's entirely justified. After I saw reference to Crackle I went there and discovered nothing of interest, i.e. worth watching. Mostly movies I would never have paid to watch when they were first released and others I had never heard of.

      Delete
  13. Anonymous7:58 AM

    I work at Sony Pictures. This is what it was like after we got hacked.

    http://fortune.com/2014/12/20/sony-pictures-entertainment-essay/

    http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/04/technology/security/sony-hack/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, good for them, finally.

    But it's too late.

    They should have done this immediately after the threat. They should have put the movie out there on line for FREE. Just to stick it to the North Korean hackers.

    All these hackers did was give Sony and this movie free publicity that it didn't deserve.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.