The White House distanced itself Friday from a Department of Homeland Security draft proposal to use the National Guard to round up unauthorized immigrants, but lawmakers said the document offers insight into the Trump administration's internal efforts to enact its promised crackdown on illegal immigration.
Administration officials said the proposal, which called for mobilizing up to 100,000 troops in 11 states, was rejected, and would not be part of plans to carry out President Donald Trump's aggressive immigration policy.
If implemented, the National Guard idea, contained in an 11-page memo (http://apne.ws/2l1Dj0k ) obtained by The Associated Press, could have led to enforcement action against millions of immigrants living nowhere near the Mexican border. Four states that border on Mexico were included in the proposal — California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas — but it also encompassed seven states contiguous to those four — Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana.
Later White House spokes-liar Sean Spicer condemned this reporting.
Courtesy of Business Insider:
"It is false," the White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, said, according to a pool report. "It is irresponsible to be saying this. There is no effort at all to round up, to utilize the National Guard to round up illegal immigrants."
"I wish you guys had asked before you tweeted," Spicer added.
Yeah reporters, why didn't you ask Spicy, instead of running with actual documentation?
Wait, you did?
An AP reporter, however, replied that the wire service had asked the White House for comment multiple times before publishing the report, which was based off of a leaked DHS draft memo. The original AP story notes that neither the White House nor the Department of Homeland Security responded to requests for comment.
"AP reached out to the White House repeatedly beginning 24 hours before publishing this story and also asked the Department of Homeland Security for comment prior to publication," the AP's director of media relations told Business Insider. "We stand by our reporting."
Oh and there was also this from the original AP article:
However, DHS staffers said Thursday that they had been told by colleagues in two DHS departments that the proposal was still being considered as recently as Feb. 10. DHS spokeswoman Gillian Christensen declined to say who wrote the memo, how long it had been under consideration or when it had been rejected.
I think by now you guys know my baseline position on all of this "he said, she said" stuff.
Since essentially EVERY SINGLE ONE of Trump's spokespeople, campaign staff, and advisers have been caught lying multiple times I simply do not believe a fucking word that comes out of that administration's various pie holes.
If I have to choose between respected news organizations and that bad Melissa McCarthy impersonator, I am going with respected news organizations every time.
So yeah, this administration most DEFINITELY considered using a military force to kick in doors and haul away undocumented workers in this country.