Friday, September 01, 2006

God spares Muslim Senator and kills 49 others.

North Carolina Sen. Larry Shaw said in an interview yesterday that he can't explain exactly what made him so anxious. But he decided to cancel the trip, including his booking on Flight 5191, after hearing of the Aug. 10 arrest of terror suspects in London, accused of plotting to blow up trans-Atlantic jets.

"I felt very bad about it because I try not to cancel out on people," Shaw said in a telephone interview. "In my heart of hearts, I was never comfortable about it, never felt right about this."

Ihsan Bagby, chairman of the Kentucky chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said he tried to talk Shaw out of canceling so close to his group's annual dinner, where the senator was to give the keynote address.

"I was not very pleased, put it that way," said Bagby, who is a professor of Arabic and Islamic studies at the University of Kentucky.

"Looking back, I am so glad he didn't feel comfortable," Bagby said. "I truly believe that God was protecting him."

For those who are not familiar with flight 5191, it is the flight that used the wrong runway in Lexington, Kentucky and crashed, killing 47 passengers and two crew members. There was one surviving crew member. I guess God decided he was sorth saving also.

I am always frustrated by people who make these claims. The idea that everybody's favorite sky-god decided to spare two people and just kill 47 other, seemingly, innocent people is just ridiculous. Giving supernatural reasons for natural events is an odd thing that humans tend to do especially if they or a relative are the beneficiaries of the holy intervention. You rarely hear people who have lost loved ones in a disaster saying that God murdered their families.

1 comment:

  1. Gryphen,
    You are so right when you say, "people who have lost loved ones in a disaster saying that God murdered their families."
    I think you'll enjoy my page on the subject at http://www.LiberalsLikeChrist.Org/about/blessings.html .

    And you may want to join the 250+ web sites that already link to our sites. Please let me know if you decide to do so

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.