Friday, August 31, 2007

Five term Senator John Warner recently called for a reduction in troops in Iraq. And now he has suddenly decided not to seek a sixth term. Hmmm.

Sen. John Warner, R-Virginia -- the respected former Navy secretary and outspoken critic of the current state of affairs in Iraq -- will not seek re-election to a sixth term, he announced Friday.

"I say that my work and service to Virginia as a senator will conclude upon the sixth of January, 2009," said Warner, 80, during a news conference in Charlottesville, Virginia, at the University of Virginia, his alma mater.

"Now, by taking this action, no one can say politics is going to dictate in one way or another how I'm going to decide to speak out on what's in the best interests of this nation. And I'm going to do that," Warner said, noting that some have read his recent public criticisms of Iraqi leaders as political posturing.

Okay I have to say that I just gained a little respect for Senator Warner. I may not agree with him on many of the issues, but the man certainly puts his money where his mouth is.

So now can we expect to hear even more pointed criticism of the Bush Iraq war plan? Becaseu that would be awesome.

All I know is that I will be paying close attention to the Senator to see if he has anything significant to say in the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.