Friday, August 31, 2007

Alaska teachers make me proud

Teachers and staff at a Fairbanks elementary school are turning down bonuses offered by the state.

The staff at Pearl Creek Elementary School appreciate being recognized for the good work they do, but don't want a monetary reward for doing what they're already paid to do.

The school was one of 42 across the state whose staff were recently awarded cash bonuses because of student improvement on standardized assessment tests.

All the teachers at Pearl Creek as well as the principal and other certified employees each received $2,500, while the school's other staff, including librarians, custodians, and secretaries, received $1,000 each.

Principal Mary Short said as a group the staff felt the cash bonuses were inappropriate.

"Most of the discussion was about how uncomfortable the incentive program made us feel," Short said, referring to a staff meeting she convened the week before school started.

At the meeting, the staff decided to donate the bonus money from the state to nonprofit organizations or to districtwide education initiatives.

"Most felt that (the money) should go to other schools," Short said.

I work with many of Alaska's best teachers, and just let me tell you that they absolutely rock!

I am just totally impressed by these incredibly dedicated professionals.

George Bush does not have to bribe our teachers to do their jobs.

2 comments:

  1. someone emailed me about your post. I wrote this up at Crooks and Liars, and I was impressed, too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:10 PM

    "George Bush does not have to bribe our teachers to do their jobs." That would have been interesting to see their reactions when GWB showed up with a check.

    On the other hand. I shouldn't have to bribe my waiter or hair stylist to do their job, should I? I'm gonna stop bribing those people. Thanks for opening my eyes to the absolute disgrace a bonus program is the ethics of these hard working people.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.