Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Howard Kurtz writes about Andrew Sullivans attempts to get answers about Sarah Palin's pregnancy from the McCain campaign.

Last week, Sullivan, a British conservative who became disgusted with the Bush administration and is a passionate advocate for Barack Obama, sent an e-mail query to the McCain campaign:

"I'm very sorry to say, it's come to this: can you confirm on the record that Trig Palin is Sarah Palin's biological son? . . . Since this is a crazy idea, it should be easy for you or someone to let me know, the most popular one-man political blog site in the world, what the truth is."

A day later, he followed up with a second note: "I asked a simple question akin to asking whether you can confirm that the sky is blue. Here's the question in case it got lost: can you confirm on the record that Trig Palin is Sarah Palin's biological son? Can I please get a response of some sort, even if it is that you will not respond?" The McCain camp, which provided the messages to The Washington Post, did not reply.

Why ask that question, with no supporting evidence? "Like any human being," Sullivan told me by e-mail, "I assume that this baby is hers. Of course I do. But as a journalist, my job is also to ask for confirmation or for evidence. And that is all I have done. By e-mail. Not on my blog. I would be remiss if I did not ask them to confirm it. At least that's my view of my responsibility. And I have published every single piece of evidence we have that he is. What else can I do?" He added that McCain aides "won't respond" but "seek to target the blogger asking the question."


This article appears in the Washington Post today, which shows that there are still plenty of people interested in the answer to this question. Howard may simply refer to Andrew Sullivan's supposedly one man crusade to get these answers, but it is clear that he knows that there are a hell of a lot of other people looking at this issue.

( I must give two hat tips for this post. One is to Cajun boy, who posted this first. And the other hat tip is to one of my visitors who directed me to his site and to this post. I will not reveal her person name since I have not been given permission to do so.)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:27 PM

    Odd this one had almost disappeared in the rearview mirror but it has no reason to go away except for mainstream media apathy...a Guinness for Sully

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:35 PM

    Actually it has been the topic with a number of bloggers whose common sense tells them that something is wrong with this picture. And I give them alot of credit for staying on the story. This was a story line in last years Desperate Housewives where Bree faked a pregnancy to cover for her daughter. The Palins and Levi's family have much to cover for because Levi could be brought up on statutory rape charges if Bristol is Trig's mother.
    I am sure there are some Alaskans who know the truth and I ask you, is this the kind of person you want running our country? Someone who would lie to the voters, fake a pregnancy, hang her daughter out to dry and accept sympathy for having a downs syndrome baby? I would like a birth certificate, medical records, and insurance records.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:39 PM

    If they would just release the medical records, a lot of the talk would cease. No one would ever "doctor" those records, would they? Just like they wouldn't ever interfere in an ongoing investigation.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.