Sunday, October 05, 2008

Unlike Philadelphia our Obama rally did not have Bruce Springsteen, but it was a huge success regardless.

As I pointed out in yesterday's post I attended the Obama rally, and also did a little spying with my good friend Muckraker at the McCain/Palin rally which was held indoors. The first two pictures below are from the Palin party. If this rally had been connected to a heart monitor it would have flatlined several times and either required resuscitation or a toe tag.


This photograph quite literally shows EVERYBODY who showed up for this McCain/Palin event. And the feeling of it was so somber that I kept expecting the pallbearers to walk by with the body at any moment.


In this picture we see Palin spokesperson Meg Stapleton, who stayed out on the fringes of the crowd, more of an observer then a participant.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Ms. Stapleton. I have developed some anger toward her for her indefensible attacks on Walt Monegan's character and her apparent allergic reaction to the truth, but I watched her play with her toddler during this event and she seemed like a loving mother and that speaks to me on a very primal level. I guess I just believe that when all of this is over Meg Stapleton will have a difficult time looking in the mirror. After observing her with her little girl I just can't believe she is all bad.


Aahh! Now this is more like it! These are pictures of the much more upbeat Obama rally on the parkstrip. You cannot help but notice the huge smiles that are peppered throughout the crowd, smiles that were definitely MIA at the McCain/Palin rally.


When looking at these photos it is just so apparent how much more color there was at the Obama campaign compared to that other gathering. And I should point out that the signs and buttons were not the only things more colorful at the Obama rally. The McCain/Palin vigil could not have been a whiter affair if somebody had unloaded a dump truck full of mayonnaise into the room. I counted the number of brown faces on one hand, where as the Obama campaign was a veritable rainbow of ethnicity's. In Anchorage that is a very impressive feat indeed.

And the sense of purpose and camaraderie was infectious for all that attended. And that, in a nutshell, is the true promise of the Obama campaign. Barack Obama serves as a conduit that breaks down racial barriers and connects all of us in a way that NO other Presidential candidate has ever been able to do.

Barack Obama represents the promise of an America that should be, and the other rally is the world as it is currently. The choice should be obvious to all.

9 comments:

  1. Yes we are so desperate for change and hope to regain and save our America. The enthusiasm is obvious but I still want to see it spread beyond election theft levels1
    It really blows me away that as your pictures show McCain's rallies are very controlled and somber. It bothers me that it takes a mindless babbling idiot to bring their party together and get people out. What does that tell you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:16 AM

    thank you for my daily dose of sanity - always a pleasure to see the truth :)

    I am doing my part to spread the truth also - I included a link to two of your blogs posts in my post today about Sarah Palin's Holy War Against Women.

    I didn't think it was possible to dislike her even more - but she has reached new low level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:54 AM

    I wonder how Meg Stapleton would feel if someone treated her daughter the way she treated Walt Monegan?

    I don't give a shit that she played with her kid and that from the outside she "seemed like a loving mother". Bullshit.

    The woman is a bitch.

    There is no justification for the way she talked about Walt. F*ck her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your concern Patriot and share some of it.

    Thank you Lady Rose. I a;ways enjoy hearing that people like what I do up here.

    Alaskan always, I have also felt that Meg Stapleton had stepped over a line that she could never retreat from. As I pointed out I found her attacks on Monegan completely indefensible.

    The point of my comment was that sometimes we think of people as caricatures of who they really are. Yes Stapleton has said, and defended, some truly horrible things. But while she is caught up in this whole give and take of the campaign perhaps she is unable to see the big picture. When this is all over and she has the opportunity to reflect on her behaviors I truly think she will feel shame.

    Of course I could be wrong, but based on my casual observation of her at the Palin rally and her body language while she is doing Sarah's dirty work, I don't think I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT POST, Gryphen! Oh man it's so nice to see the contrast of Obama rally to McInsane rally... geeeez, yeah maybe their party knows something we don't, which may be that they've just given up?

    I sure like the look of that Obama crowd. Colorful people, colorful signs. LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:48 PM

    I've posted more photos of the Obama rally here http://northernvisions.smugmug.com/gallery/6149864_tVFAA#387259234_keV2Y

    It was a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:58 PM

    I hope someone treats Stapleton's kid as badly as she treated Betty's kid.

    Karma's a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:11 PM

    The difference between republicans, and other political persuasions, is republicans are political first, human second. Just the term "liberal" is enough to send them into a seething rage. Their self-worth can only be claimed by believing they are better than their "enemy." You can believe that Stapleton is looking at a liberal mother playing with her child, and thinking...that child will probably grow to be as un-American as her mother. What can I do to stop that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this Gryphen. AK, like my state GA, will in all likelihood go to McCain on the 4th, but if we can make the states a little bluer, how great would that be?

    Blue_in_AK: Thanks for that link. So many photos, so many bright-eyed supporters of our team!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.