Saturday, December 20, 2008

6 medical myths debunked just in time for Christmas.

Wow! I hate to out myself as ignorant but I believed that every single one of these myths was true.

1) Sugar causes hyperactivity in children

At least 12 double blind randomised controlled trials have examined how children react to diets containing different levels of sugar. None of these studies, not even studies looking specifically at children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, could detect any differences in behaviour between the children who had sugar and those who did not.

I swear I have seen anecdotal evidence to the contrary but I will admit that I may have been incorrect on this one.

2) Suicides increase over the holidays

While the holidays might, indeed, be a difficult time for some, there is no good scientific evidence to suggest a holiday peak in suicides.

One study from Japan that looked at suicides in 1979-94 showed that the rate of suicide was lowest in the days before a holiday and highest in the days after the holiday. In contrast, in a study from the United States of suicides over a 35 year period, there was no increase before, during, or after holidays.

Well this one has been what I considered common knowledge for as far back as I can remember. I have worked with the mental health community for the last twelve years and I can say with certainty that they also believe this myth to be true. And since they are in a position to know I will reserve my judgement on whether this myth is debunked or not.

3) Poinsettia toxicity

In an analysis of 849 575 plant exposures reported to the AmericanAssociation of Poison Control Centers, none of the 22 793 cases involving poinsettia resulted in considerable poisoning. No one died from exposure to or ingestion of poinsettia, and most (96%) did not even require medical treatment. In 92 of the cases, children ingested substantial quantities of poinsettias, but none needed medical treatment, and toxicologists concludedthat poinsettia exposures and ingestions can be treated without referral to a healthcare facility. Another study, looking at poinsettia ingestion by rats, could not find a toxic amount of poinsettia, even at amounts that would be the equivalent of 500-600 poinsettia leaves or nearly a kilogram of sap.

I swear I reinforced this myth just yesterday with one of my kids.

4) Excess heat loss in the hatless

As temperatures drop, hats and caps flourish. Even the US Army Field manual for survival recommends covering your head in cold weather because "40 to 45 percent of body heat" is lost through the head. If this were true, humans would be just as cold if they went without trousers as if they went without a hat.But patently this is just not the case.

I don't know how much I ever really believed this one. I rarely wear a hat, and am rarely as cold as the people who are all bundled up around me.

5) Nocturnal feasting makes you fat

As an ex-personal trainer I have long considered this incontrovertibly true. I think a lot has to do with exactly WHAT you eat late at night, but I certainly do think eating late right before bedtime is a bad idea. I just disagree that this is a myth.

6) You can cure a hangover

Well I have never found that ANYTHING helped my hangover except time, so I have no trouble believing this one is accurate.

6 comments:

  1. I am with you on the sugar...I have sure seen kids go nuts after eating a bunch of candy or something like that so not sure how they discount it.
    But I will give them the rest...lol

    Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:41 AM

    A good part of many hangovers is severe dehydration. Alcohol is a diarrhetic. Alternating a pint of water with each drink can prevent a hangover. Also, drinking 1-2 pints of water before retiring after an evening of drinking will make one feel better in the morning as well as being less stressful to non's liver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. didn't brian williams say something like, "it just goes to show if you live long enough every most every common conclusion will be debunked." or something like that. he was reporting on a debunking of the 8 glasses of water a day thing. i am always MUCH warmer in colder temperatures if i have a hat on my head. especially one that covers my ears. and i absolutely do NOT believe #6! i had a hangover so bad that i swear i could feel the whole world spinning. god, that was a bad, bad day. my liver aches at the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as the suicides "myth" goes I think it depends on what is included in the definition of holidays. My younger sister killed herself on the Saturday after Thanksgiving (1997) and to me that is still "holidays" but I suspect it would not fit in the definition for a researcher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:34 AM

    Anonymous...
    I think you meant diuretic, not diarrhetic.
    The first is somtheing that makes you pee, the second is somtheing that makes you poo.
    Although it can certainly cause dehydration, diarrhea's usually not a symptom of alcohol overindulgence.

    PackyJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many years ago, I was slowly waking up after a night of heavy drinking and smelled bacon and eggs cooking. The smell made me terribly nauseous. I remember thinking, Oh great, I've died and gone to Hell and Hell is Mel's Diner!

    I agree with anonymous at 10:41am. Whenever I would drink a good amount of water before going to bed back then, I always felt better than the times when I forgot my water.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.