Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Lisa Murkowski positions herself as the Jolly Green Senator in an attempt to deflect a serious challenge from Sarah Palin in 2010.


Sen. Lisa Murkowski, suddenly at the pinnacle of the scandal-ridden Alaska political hierarchy, is positioning herself to clean up the state’s image — and bolster her own chances for reelection.

One way to do that would be to bring a new voice to global warming and foster a close relationship with environmentalists, a class that one member of the Alaska congressional delegation once dismissed as a “self-centered bunch of waffle-stomping, Harvard-graduating, intellectual idiots.”

Along the way, Murkowski, the new top Republican on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, could improve her chances of holding on to her seat in 2010.

Alaska is often viewed as ground zero of global warming, but the state’s congressional delegation has been better known for attacking other lawmakers over the environment rather than addressing it.

A moderate Republican known for her ability to balance countering opinions, Murkowski already has brought a different voice to the debate, offering support for carbon emissions reduction as the Alaskan tundra thaws and fishing villages disappear into the ocean.


I am of two minds on this report (I know that is like two more then usual isn't it?).

On the one had I am thrilled to finally have two Senators who are promoting cleaner energy for Alaska's future (Mark Begich has also talked extensively about this issue). We have for too long been identified with drilling massive holes in our pristine wilderness in search of oil and to the rest of the country we consistently appear at least a decade behind the rest of the world when it comes to environmental issues, which is ridiculously ironic considering that Alaska has been feeling the effects of climate change for at least four decades.

However I am also very wary of Murkowski's motives here. As you can probably discern from my headline I am not exactly convinced that Senator Murkowski is so much worried about the environment as she is about losing her Senate seat.

But I guess ultimately I don't care WHY the Senator is jumping on the environmentalist's bandwagon, just so long as her votes and bills support her stated convictions. And believe me Senator, we WILL be watching.

(And to my visitors who are also comic book geeks, yes I know that picture is of the She-Hulk. I find it kind of sexy. Besides you try to find a picture of a female Jolly Green Giant dressed in a business suit.)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:28 AM

    The devil spawn of Frank Murkowski doesn't give a rat's ass about the environment. Remember campaigning in front of an Exxon gas station? It's all about angles. Next thing you know she'll be wearing hooker boots too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After seeing The Lisa vote for Eric Holder's confirmation, it's obvious that she is doing as you assert: preserving her seat. And like you, I'll be watching her even more closely now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, Gryphen, She-Hulk is also appropriate, since Lisa has assumed Ted ("The Incredible Hulk") Stevens' mantle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good point PackyJ!

    You are so right that with Ted gone there is definitely an opening for a new Hulk.

    Gee I wish I would have thought of that as I was posting. Maybe I am subconsciously smarter then I am consciously.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.