Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chapter Two: The Fortress is Breached

Please read yesterday's post "My liberal oasis is visited by one of Sarah Palin's minions (Well "ex-minion")".

We had agreed on a meeting around "sixish" and they arrived sometime around 6:15 or so. Punctuality is one of my bugaboos.

When I opened my door I saw Jody, her husband Curtis, and their two children. They looked like they could have all stepped right out of a political advertisement. Attractive and well dressed the whole family was camera ready. (Darn I knew I forgot something!)

Jody introduced me to her husband and children before we went upstairs to the kitchen to begin our conversation.

After bringing out some toys for the children to play with I addressed my first questions to Mr. Curtis Smith.

My first question was to ask if he is still has contact with Sarah Palin. The answer was a simple yes. (Uh oh.) Though Curtis now works for Shell oil, here in Alaska, he has kept in contact with the Governor and still remains on friendly terms.

I then had to ask if that meant a phone from him to the governor concerning a certain pain in the ass local blogger, but Curtis assured me that as an ex-journalist (Curtis worked in broadcasting before signing on to the Governor's staff) he knew how to respect confidentiality and he was here on his wife's behalf, not the Governor's.

I then told Curtis that I had some questions for him for my own peace of mind, but anything that he wanted off the record would remain so. As it turned out the entire conversation was to be off the record.

So what I can share is that Curtis and Jody met in high school, that he started off on a career in broadcasting working for both KIMO and KTUU before going to work for the Governor, and that now he works for Shell oil. He was well spoken, candid, and clearly his wife's biggest supporter.

At one point during the conversation I asked Curtis if he was sure that he wanted his wife to provide an interview to such an ardent liberal blogger and he looked at her and said that it was what she wanted and he supported her decision. Good answer.

With that I turned my full attention to the candidate.

I started off asking Jody if she viewed this run for the school board as a stepping stone toward higher office in the future, aka Sarah Palin. She immediately shook her head no, and talked extensively about her commitment to education and her years of experience in the classroom, which she is by no means ready to abandon.

Had she always harbored desires to enter politics? No, she said, her only previous experience in politics was running for President of the student body when she was attending school in Soldotna. (By the way, her opponent in that race? None other then her husband, Curtis Smith.)

I asked Jody if she believed that there were things about being on the school board that she may find her self unprepared for, and how would she deal with what could be a steep learning curve. She quickly answered, that she had little doubt there were things she would have to learn, but that she would approach that like she does everything else. She would quickly access the available information and then make an informed decision.

I felt it incumbent on me to ask her how she felt about "No Child Left Behind". Before she even had a chance to answer the look on her face betrayed her opinion. She was totally against it and felt that it lacked vision and a fundamental understanding of how children learn. (On that she is definitely in lockstep with Senator Mark Begich who wants to rid Alaska of NCLB as soon as possible)

I then asked Jody about her desire, as stated on her website, to teach our children 21st century skills. She informed me that today, with technology moving so swiftly, we could not adequately conceive of the challengers that lay ahead for the students of tomorrow. She believes that a solid foundation in technical reading and writing and the ability to read non-linear text and recognize visual images will serve these future students well. And those are the skills she would like to see implemented more effectively in our Anchorage classrooms.

As the hour grew late and her two adorable children began to become bored with the "grown up talk" I asked one more question. I glanced over at her husband and smiled before asking her how she felt about Governor Palin rejecting the stimulus money that could have been used to help special needs children in the classroom. Jody did not hesitate before saying that she was very, very disappointed in the Governor. (Her husband to his credit stayed mum on the subject.)

As we wrapped things up I shook Curtis's hand, wished Jody luck, and waved at them as they departed my liberal oasis.

My take on the meeting?

Well as far as Curtis goes, I think in some ways watching him play with his children, glance adoringly at his wife, and demonstrate such support for her political aspirations, goes a long way toward answering my question about why a liberal woman would love a man with such a differing point of view. The fact is that there are many traits which make up an individuals personality. Curtis had a good sense of humor, a gentle demeanor, and an impressive intellect. I have to imagine that those positive traits do much to minimize any political differences the two may have.

Now as for candidate Jody Smith. Well I think impressive is probably not a strong enough word. She is the consummate professional, a woman of real vision, and somebody who is definitely ready for the challenges facing our school system in the coming years.

My advice, to all who want it, is to vote Jody Smith for seat E on the Anchorage School Board this April 7th.

If you want to donate to her campaign, or simply learn more about her, then click this link and you will be taken to her website for more information.

P.S. As I read back over this post a few things occurred to me that I felt needed addressing.

Many of us have long wondered what hold Sarah Palin has over the people who work with her, especially the men. With my tongue somewhat in my cheek I have suggested that she essentially flirts with them and seduces them into supporting her.

In the case of Mr. Smith, that ploy would have failed miserably.

I have seen Sarah Palin up close (someday soon I hope to be able to blog about that encounter), and of course I have spoken to Jody numerous times face to face, and I have to say that the Governor does not hold a candle to Jody. It is outside of the realm of possibilities that Sarah's flirtatious mannerisms had any affect whatsoever on Mr. Smith's desire to work for her.

Which then leads me to my next observation.

While researching just who Curtis Smith was before speaking to him face to face I stumbled across two YouTube videos of a speech he gave in 2007, which can be seen here and here. During the speech he comes across as a very likable, humble man who feels very honored to be asked to speak before the assembled audience.

In many ways he seems in sharp contrast to the bullying dismissive attitude displayed by Meg Stapleton and Bill McAllister. I could not help but wonder how different things may have been if Palin had retained the service of Curtis Smith during the "Troopergate" scandal, or the Vice Presidential run, or even the multiple ethics charges she is facing now.

I just have a hard time believing that the guy in my kitchen a few days ago would have handled these things as clumsily as they were handled by the people currently advising our governor.

And believe me I am not giving the guy a free pass or anything. If he had been a jerk I would have no problem calling him on it, despite my support for his wife. But in fact the guy was very reasonable and even suggested that I "beat him up a little' if necessary to help keep my liberal cred. But of course I can't do that because for me it is ethical behavior first, and political positions second.

If you are in Alaska, remember to vote on Tuesday April 7, regardless of WHO you support. (But please DO check out Jody's website okay?)

20 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:11 AM

    Thanks for that interview. Good job. I will be voting for her.

    Did you come away from that encounter with any changed feelings regarding SP though? Without giving away what was off the record of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:06 AM

    'Nuff said Gryphen!

    VW is conition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:16 AM

    Came across this, someone should pass it along to Celtic Diva(I'm not registered)

    But it shows a clear profit to Artic Cat from their sponsorship of Todd Palin and Todd promoting them while on a "politically motivated photo-op"

    http://www.atvscene.com/fyi08/arcticcat_1029.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article Gryphen. I agree that Gino is in much worse condition because the advice she is getting. She herself is unpolished and very rough but if she had a spokesman that was professional it would make a world of difference. But even with that she is not qualified for a dog catcher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Thom.........That article just proves how important advertising is. Great article and I would think it could help the ethics complaint. To me it shows the intent of Artic Cat and Palin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:33 AM

    Thanks for the info Gryphen, I'll put Jody down for my vote, as I think I can safely assume that you & I are pretty much on the same page...

    And thanks for the info about Walt, as well, he deserves the exposure, he's an honest guy who deserves a lot of credit for his service to our community, our state, and his decision not to capitalize on the troopergate business for his own personal gain (turning down interview requests from big news and trips to NYC to talk to the Today show, etc etc).

    SMR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the follow-up. Given that Jody is entering the political arena, it would be very bad strategy to say anything negative about the current administration.

    As far as SP's emotional draw over others, overcoming even her shabby ethic-lite behavior, I sometimes mull over a reading of SP done before the November election, by a well-known empath reader, Rose Rosetree.

    In essence, Palin is a emotional five-year old. Her world is only composed of primary colors. Imagine an adorable five year old. Sweet, sassy, and radiantly confident of her ability to win over others with her charm. She loves, loves, loves attention. It is all about her. There is a wide streak of the gambler in her. She is very good at bluffing her way out of scandal. She delights in "getting away with" things. It proves she is the smartest one. When crossed she lashes out and throws a big tantrum. Her enemies should be punished, because she is good, and that simple equation means that those who oppose her must be the bad ones.

    Her childish world-view, combined with a strong facade of "I'm such a nice person, and so pretty too!" is a winning one for some of our citizens. Not for them, or her, are the so-called "rules". Reciting regulations, policy questions or reviewing the facts are no fun. They want the sassy, pretty lady that says thrilling words!

    Yes, we are dealing with children. *Sigh* I try to put it all into perspective. We were all five once.

    P.S. Your silence speaks volumes as well. I notice you are not saying "I was so wrong about SP! She is really smart, and spends every waking moment trying to improve the life of all Alaskans." NOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:17 AM

    I know it was off the record, but did you at least ask him about the various scandals? (esp babygate?) Oh please oh please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gryphen, thanks for sharing your visit. I must be honest, I wanted more, about her vision, I guess. I thought I might have missed something, so I googled text non-linear...and found this is fun...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmP4nk0EOE.

    My children are now in their thirties. But I did wonder while reading whether whole language was being taught in Alaska schools. Those with certain learning disabilities could have problems with whole language. Anyway, I offer this information for your review.

    http://www.scribd.com/doc/4611251/NEA-Trojan-Horse-in-American-EducationSamuel-Blumenfeld1984307pgsEDU-sml

    I don't know enough about No Child Left Behind...other than it was never funded.
    --
    And Bonnie...thanks...I figured she threw dishes. And stomps that foot!

    Thanks, Gryphen, for sharing and letting me share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:22 PM

    Looks like Shannyn was right Gryphen, Curtis seems like a very nice person, and intelligent and well informed. I just cannot for the life of me understand why a person like this would see any redeeming qualities in GINO, but...

    Jody has my very best wishes for success as a candidate. If I could, I would certainly vote for her.

    Thanks again for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie--

    I am a student of Rose's and have read several of her blog posts about SP that were insightful and very informative. She is very accurate.

    Kathlyn and Gay Hendricks did a series of articles on body language of the candidates last fall, including SP, that supported Rose's findings. Here is a link to one of their articles:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathlyn-and-gay-hendricks/body-politics-sarah-palin_b_132785.html

    fun stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:39 PM

    Great leaders surround themselves with the best they can find.

    Sarah Palin does just the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:56 PM

    Why even take a chance with her and she is married to Curtis Smith-enough said. She will not get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was professionally done. Not EVERY conversation in the state has to center around Bad Sarah, after all. Alaska needs their (actually) smart, dedicated women to step up and be heard, and the more that happens, the more the Gov will lose in the comparison.

    I like his sense of humor. Offering to let you "beat him up a little"! You two should have arm wrestled - maybe next time. We'd like to hear the outcome of that match.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LisanTX! Thrilled to see your comment; Rose is a treasure. I was so relieved to see both Rose and Kathlyn & Gay Hendricks analysis of GINO. SWWNBE is just so confident she can pull the wool over anyone's eyes if she just smiles and does her fancy pageant walkin' and talkin'.

    By the way GetReal, you are correct. It is very satisfying to see GINO's own dysfunctional personality work against herself. The main "ability" of the people around her is to never question her orders. This kind of weeds out thoughtful, intelligent people. Her whole organization is weakened thereby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous6:16 PM

    She can get all the advice the world has to offer but she has to be willing to listen and take it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6:35 PM

    I think Jody is more than qualified; however, the association to GINO is a little too close for comfort. I think she needs to try harder to divorce herself from GINO before she gets my vote.

    Too bad the ADN didn't endorse her. I'm a bit surprised by that, especially since the ADN loves everything GINO and Jody's husband would have been the tie-in.

    Good luck to Jody, just sorry you're married to a current or former Palin-bot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous 6:35. I think you missed the point of my post.

    It was exactly BECAUSE Jody is an independent person and BECAUSE her husband is not a true Palin-bot that I felt comfortable endorsing her.

    I cannot tell people who they should vote for, but I would hope that they do not make a decision based on the fact that a candidate loves somebody with a different idealogical point of view.

    After all, aren't liberals supposed to be the open minded ones?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:43 PM

    Yes, Gryphen, I got the point of your post. But how do we know for sure that he's not a true Palin-bot?? I would find it hard to believe that someone SO close to her campaign would not be a close associate/confidant.

    Of course liberals are more open-minded than conservatives! But that doesn't mean we should just open the door for a stranger to walk in our homes and possible rob us. I prefer to keep my doors locked and wait for the person on the other side to identify themselves.

    I simply don't trust ANYONE affiliated with GINO. Period.

    Jody Smith should have thought about her husband's association with GINO and the impact that would have on her own ambitions in public service, regardless of her political affiliation.

    Great job as always, Gryphen.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.