Friday, May 08, 2009

Alaska bloggers to be featured in chapter of book "Bloggers on the Bus: How the Internet Changed Politics and the Press".

My friend Phil Munger posted this on his website Progressive Alaska yesterday.

Eric Boehlert, one of the founders ofMedia Matters for America, recently finished a book about important aspects of the rapidly changing American political scene. The book, titled Bloggers on the Bus - How the Internet Changed Politics and the Press, will be released May 19th. Chapter Thirteen, about how Alaska's bloggers played a role in getting detailed information about Sarah Palin, and our kinky, sometimes difficult political customs out to an eager Outside press in late summer and early autumn of 2008, is called Saradise Lost. I spoke with publisher Simon & Schuster's publicist for the book, Christine Donnelly, this morning. She told me that the chapter on Alaska bloggers will bring up the role local blogs like Alaska Real, Andrew Halcro, Celtic Diva's Blue Oasis, Just a Girl from Homer, Kodiak Konfidential, The Mudflats, Own the Sidewalk, Progressive Alaska, The Immoral Minority and What Do I Know? played in both the McCain/Palin and Begich-Stevens campaigns.

When I started this humble blog back in November of 2004, I certainly never felt I would have such an impact on both local and national political history. And I never, ever imagined that I would have the opportunity to meet and work with so many amazing intellects as I have these last nine months.

The Alaska bloggers are a wonderful, magnanimous group of individuals, and I am honored to be counted among them.

You can bet I am going to be purchasing this book when it comes out, and I would undoubtedly do so even if I did not have a small mention within its pages.

(To read Phil's entire post just click the title.)

7 comments:

  1. Oooo, Missy Sarey isn't going to like this. All those lyin' pathetic bloggers in their pajamies being given some credibility.

    Seriously, you guys earned it. Without you, Palin could even now be one old man's heartbeat away from the White House. Every time I think about how close we came to it, I shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:49 PM

    That's very exciting Gryphen-congratulations. And while you may not have planned it, you and your fellow Alaskan bloggers were our lifeline down here in the lower 48 to all things Palin during the election and we will be forever grateful for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw this AP item:

    ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — An ethics complaint filed against Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has been dismissed.

    The Alaska Personnel Board on Friday dismissed the complaint, which alleged Palin violated ethics rules by accepting outside employment with her political action committee.

    Anchorage resident Sondra Tompkins, who filed the complaint in April, also alleged Palin participated in partisan activities when she spoke at an anti-abortion dinner in Indiana.

    An investigator hired by the personnel board to review the complaint determined the allegations did not constitute ethics violations.

    Information from: KTUU-TV, http://www.ktuu.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. the problem child7:01 PM

    Gryphen, never one to toot his own horn... you also mean international! Us US citizens all across the globe (and no doubt non-US citizens, too) have also found you and your blog invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:07 AM

    Gryphen,

    Will you please read this from the state website:

    http://www.gov.state.ak.us/news.php?id=1828

    Am I missing something, I have not seen anything saying that 9 ethics complaints have been dismissed. And the statement on the bottom of the release from Bill McAllister. He must be drinking her bathwater!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your fellow bloggers should get an award for doing a great service to our country. Every time I think that McCain and the Sarah could have been our president and vice president, I shudder.

    Can you oicture then entire Wasillabilly crew on trips to the Middle East, Europe, or Asia...all babies, husband, kids in tow...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is GREAT!! I just ordered an advance copy from the Strand Bookstore, so I don't have to wait for the pub date. Eric Boehlert is one of my idols, especially after publishing "Lapdogs," an aptly titled account for how the MSM serviced (as it were) the Bush administration.

    Way to go, Alaska bloggers! I regret to say that SP is the one who... well, I have to sing it instead: "Well, here's to you, Alaska bloggers/A nation turns its lonely eyes to you/Ooo-oo-ooo..."

    FW, I don't even want to SPECULATE about GINO making a furrin visit representing the United States to a lot of furriners. It's still a painful memory when our former pResident actually, unbelivably asked the president of Brazil whether his country had a black population also. (The largest in the Western Hemisphere, as a matter of fact.)

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.