Thursday, May 28, 2009

Alaskan Democrats starting to mobilize in anticipation of gubernatorial run in 2010.

Ethan Berkowitz sounds like he’s getting ready to run for governor.

“We’re taking an extremely close look at it, it’s something I’m very interested in doing,” Berkowitz told me earlier today.

Berkowitz is starting to attract national attention as a potential Democratic challenger to Republican Gov. Sarah Palin, telling CQ politics (which rates the race as “Republican favored”) that “my sights are now on the governor’s race.”

No, no, no, no!

I absolutely do not want Ethan running for Governor. If he was unable to defeat Don Young (the most reviled politician in Alaska) for the House seat, what makes him think he has a snowballs chance in hell of getting the nomination away from Bob Poe?

This is simply his bruised ego forcing him to jump into this race, but he faces yet another defeat, and if he were smart he would simply move on from politics and find another line of work. I have not forgotten how let down I felt after the 2008 election.

It also sounds like Hollis French is considering a run for Governor as well. I really like and respect Hollis, but I am also not enamored of his chances this time around.

This is not about Sarah Palin, who I don't even believe is even going to run this time, it is about getting the very best person into this job. Just like needing a Barack Obama to repair the damage done to our country by eight years of George Bush, we are going to need a very capable, intelligent leader to get our state back on track after the Palinator has laid waste to it during her one disastrous term.

The really irritating thing about this is that it splits the progressives (just like during the disastrous mayoral race) into different camps and waters down our fundraising efforts and ability to organize. The thing that may have helped Dan Sullivan the most during the mayoral run was that he faced no competition to take the conservative slot.

If the progressives do not quickly get their act together this time it is conceivable that we could suffer yet another defeat by some as yet unnamed conservative opponent.

As of today I am a Bob Poe supporter and will help his campaign as much as I can.

However I am a good liberal and will throw my support behind whoever the people choose as their Democratic candidate. Especially if it is Bob Poe. I am just saying.

9 comments:

  1. onejrkitty3:11 PM

    Berkowitz is a quitter who does not finish what he starts. When the going gets tough, he gets going---away!

    Sorry, but we need someone with enough cajones to run into the burning building--like firemen-- not away from it.

    Berkowitz is just too much facade and not enough foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have go to be kidding. Ethan was the only one to stand on the floor down in Juneau and call out the corruption that was going on in this state. Let me say it again. He was the only one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:47 PM

    Who is Bob Poe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. crystalwolf aka caligrl5:43 PM

    If I lived in Alaska, My Vote would be Bob Poe.
    When He starts campaigning I hope you will let us know where we can send support to him.
    He is everything that Alaska needs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:53 PM

    LMAO, "Who is Bob Poe?" Too funny!!! I know that Rob Rosenfeld (think thats his name) is running also, too. I haven't seen much of him in the news about running for gov. except for on annyomous bloggers site. I agree with you, they should not have a repeat of the mayoral race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:24 PM

    Gryphen, this is OT, but I constantly have trouble with your site. The page seems unstable. Sometimes I can't close it, but lately it has been loading over and over rapidly on my computer until I have about fifty copies. This happens at my home and at work. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ratfish10:21 PM

    With all due respect, I disagree with you.

    Both Ethan Berkowitz and Hollis French have actually been elected to state office in Alaska (aka vetted). While Bob Poe has some experience, a lot of it has been as a state bureaucrat; as far as I know, he's never been elected to anything.

    Ethan took on the establishment re ethics (Murkowski), and French did the same re Palin.

    Bot5h of them would not have the ethics/honesty/integrity problems that Palin does.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:48 PM

    @ 8:24, that happened to me a few times too. I have to shut down my computer because it won't stop. Thanks for bringing it up, I thought it was only me.

    I read in the Newsminer that Hollis French was also considering a run for Gov. What is up w/all of this?? Everyone wants to run for something and then it just screws up the whole election and then somebody wins that you don't want in (as in GINO).

    ReplyDelete
  9. crystalwolf aka caligrl4:17 AM

    Anon@8:24...I am having trouble too...the spell check doesn't work in the text box and I can't cut & paste here anymore?
    Gryphen I'm using firefox? Everything was fine up to about a week now?

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.