Monday, May 25, 2009

Hah! I knew it! (So off topic that you may in fact believe that you are on a totally different blog.)

The findings, by an international team of researchers, suggest muscular strength is as important as staying slim and eating healthily when it comes to protecting the body against deadly tumours.

The scientists who came up with the findings are recommending men weight train at least twice a week, exercising muscle groups in both the upper and lower body.

In recent years, experts have recommended a healthy diet and lifestyle - including regular aerobic exercise such as jogging or cycling to reduce the risks of the disease.

But the latest study, published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention, suggests it may be just as important to build up muscle strength.

Okay so in my mind's eye I can see all of you shaking your heads and wondering how THIS has anything to do with the usual subjects covered on this blog. It doesn't.

However it does have much to do with my personal life, my past as a gym rat, and my defensiveness about my body.

You see though I usually think of myself as a geeky political junkie, who over thinks everything, and is constantly searching for new information and perspectives, I do not exactly look the part.

You see I am somewhat of an exercise freak.

I go to the gym to work out at least four times a week, and sometimes even six times a week, if my schedule allows it.

Because of this I have often had to defend myself to my more cerebral friends who find that kind of attention to the physical self to be kind of... well pathetic.

However I long ago discovered that exercise is the key to good health and longevity. I much prefer it as a lifestyle choice over the American tradition of lethargy and prescription drug use.

Now don't get me wrong I am not exactly a hulking behemoth or anything but I am also not the tweed jacket with patches on the elbows type either. My preferred clothing choices are tank tops and sweatpants or shorts. Disappointing I know.

But what is proving most gratifying is finding out that science is FINALLY learning that resistance training and a challenging cardio program result in a potpourri of beneficial results. Including resistance to heart disease, diabetes, erectile dysfunction, digestive problems, sleep problems, back problems, etc., etc. etc.

I have more energy and strength than almost all of my younger friends, and have not had to sacrifice a single brain cell to attain it. If anything the increased blood flow and oxygenation that results from my strong heart and lungs actually increases my ability to retain information and use my intellect more effectively.

(And just between you and me, it is not exactly terrible when people learn how old I am and simply refuse to believe it either.)

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:44 PM

    I work in a iron foundry, pounding out. I wish I could go to a gym. Don't you work? My name is Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:45 PM

    I think that you're on the right track, and it's healthy to discuss other topics besides politics. (The last 8 years made me sick). Sixty Minutes had a similar segment just last Sunday. They started by talking about what's in red wine that's keeping the French people healthy. Once the chemical was analyzed, they went on to disucss how it affects the body. In a related study, monkeys were given two different diets: all you could eat or just enough. You've already guessed it; too much isn't healthy. If you stay on the lean side of being just a little hungry, the body produces the same healthy chemical that they started the program with-- it promotes longevity, a healthy lean body. I'm quite sure that exercise does the same thing, namely stimulate the good chemical. And weight bearing exercises are good for women, too-- strengthens bone. So, please, address all issues that will keep us informed; this is a good place for a healthy exchange of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard about eating healthy to prevent cancer? They have classes on it at Providence and Mat-Su Regional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I know is that, after two discectomies and a long battle with sciatica, I discovered that regular weight training worked better than muscle relaxers for keeping pain away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:11 AM

    Yes, people always say "but I have no time to workout". But even 3 times a week can make a HUGE difference in the quality and productivity of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:55 AM

    Gryphen.... please get your exercise from pushing the iceberg on top of Sarah or carrying the boxes of evidence to the FBI.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you (and anonymous, about the last 8 years making us sick! haha). I'm turning 50 this year and have a couple of inherited metabolic disorders that wreaked havoc on me for years (then I found great help from alternative practitioners), but you wouldn't know it if you saw me. I started with weight bearing exercises and running when I was 40 and have done a year's worth of Bikram yoga — spare you the details but staying fit has had a HUGELY positive impact on my health in many ways. And as I watch friends and family age it's clear they're in two distinct camps: those who work hard at prevention and maintenance and those taking the traditional slide into ill-health and prescription medications. My 82-year-old father has always been in the first camp. He never went to a gym but has always worked hard and now uses a treadmill and wieghts at home. He fought his way back from injuries that almost killed him after an 18' fall from a roof when he was 67, and now he's taking paragliding lessons on the OR coast. Keep at it people!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:00 AM

    The real story is....not that muscle strength will help prevent cancer, the story is....that LACK of exercise will kill you.

    The only DISCOVERY is that we are led to believe that we can be healthy by sitting on the couch, eating crap, and taking prescription drugs to offset.

    The reality is that we are killing ourselves by eating crap and doing nothing and we will never be able to afford universal health care if we are all obese and sickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:34 AM

    I just bought a great documentary about obesity in the USA called KILLER AT LARGE. Google it if you are interested; it's now available on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Puleeze - could we have just a hint about the iceberg? I'm dying from stress. I knew the truth about Sarah the day she was announced! Simple googling did it. I even saw all the pictures that were later removed. Everyday for the last nine months I've expected someone in the MSM to make the story public. I've written REAL letters with pages of attachments showing SP NOT pregnant to both Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow (back in January). Never expected to hear from them personally, but did expect to arouse their curiosity. Nothing! Does Shannyn Moore have enough access to either to give them the REAL story? Summer's almost here and icebergs will be melting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. birdwatcher12:28 PM

    From one gym rat to another, it is nice to hear that you exercise more than your fingers at the computer! Good for you! I am a rather compulsive exerciser... runner, biker, swimmer, etc. 50 and fabulous (or, let's say, at least alive!) It is the one thing that keeps body and soul, and deteriorating mind together.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.