Friday, May 29, 2009

Here is the GQ article on Levi Johnston.

There is a lot in the article about hunting and Levi's homophobic tendencies. (Not uncommon in men his age in Alaska, especially if they come from the Valley.)

It also contains the now famous quote about Todd offering Bristol a car if she would dump Levi, however it is not explained at what stage of their relationship this offer was made.

Tank Jones gets quite an interesting write up as well, though it seems the writer focuses more on Tank's impressive physique rather than his good humor and penchant for expletives and double talk. (When I first met Tank there was a lot of verbal jousting and puffing out of chests until we both realized that neither one of us was very intimidating to the other, and after that our communications have been very relaxed and quite pleasant. Tank is only one of the sources I have been working, but he is also the toughest and refuses to give me anything until he gets Levi a good deal.)

Here are a few notable quotes from the article:

......You can feel the Palins. From my budget hotel on Lake Lucille, I can see the big wooden wall that surrounds their house, and a roof beyond it. They are of this place, they belong here, but their power has disturbed an equilibrium. At the gun shop, where the owners have known the family forever, the men at the counter say they believe deep down that when she puts her head on her pillow at night, she wishes she had never said yes to McCain. (Personally I believe that when Sarah Palin finally puts her head down on her pillow at night she just hopes that she can keep a lid on the lies for another day and that soon she will be able to get the hell out of Wasilla and move on with her life.)

.....Levi’s unemployed. That makes helping take care of his son, Tripp, tricky. He has been on The Tyra Banks Show, where he met Nick Lachey, but he has very little money. Sarah Palin’s father has called him a deadbeat dad in the paper. Levi then responded, saying he’s tried to get a job but his notoriety makes it impossible. No crew boss wants paparazzi following his men around, I suppose. And they are mainly Palin people around here. Levi’s known to be on the outs. (I doubted this at first, and even had a job lined up for Levi, but that was before I saw the media frenzy that surrounds Levi these days.)


......The previous year he’d (Levi) been in a homeschool scenario. Alaska boasts the most lax homeschooling rules of any state in the union, in the sense that they have literally almost no rules. Levi was doing his learning online, through a Brigham Young University program. Unsupervised, at the Palins’ house, where Bristol Palin was homeschooling, too.
(This HAD to have been during the 2007-2008 school year. If you ask yourself WHY the Governor would have left her teenage daughter and her boyfriend alone and unsupervised to "study" for almost a year, I think the reason becomes fairly obvious.)

“May I ask if that’s how Tripp came into the world?”

He did not kiss and tell. He did however shrug and smile.

......Levi wanted to text Bristol. Tank thought he should. Of course I said he should, spreading vulturous wings. “Screw it,” he said. “I’m doing it.” He texted her while Tank and I watched over his shoulder. “You looked great on TV,” he typed with his thumbs. A few blocks on she texted back, “Thanks. You too! I tried to call you on your birthday.” They went back and forth some more. Tank and I gave them their privacy.
(According to one member of his family Bristol is just playing with Levi's emotions but that Levi still has genuine feelings for Bristol.)


.....In Alaska you heard two competing takes on the Bristol-Levi affair. One was the “under the bus” narrative, held to by the Levi camp. In this story, Levi loves a girl, she gets pregnant, he gives up high school and hockey so he can provide for her and the baby. When it suits their political purposes, the family embraces him and essentially puts him forward as a son-in-law. When his meager political value is spent, they do what most normal parents would do and discourage the daughter from marrying him, in hopes that she can get back on with her future. He’s frozen out of the family. They won’t let him see the baby except for a few hours at a time. They won’t let the baby sleep at his house. His visits at the Palins’ are awkward. He can’t bond with the baby. He’d said to me,

Just going over there makes me pretty damn uncomfortable. I would call and say, “Can I pick him up?” It was, “No, you can’t have him, but you can come see him.” Just going over there, and Todd and Sarah sitting there staring at me, doesn’t do it for me. Todd never says anything, really. Sarah, I don’t know. She’s a politician. She knows how to throw in a fake smile and look happy. They’re pretty good at that.
(Now this sounds EXACTLY like the Sarah Palin that I have come to know.)


.....“Did she dump you, or did you dump her?”

He gives me the thing about how it was mutual. “Mutual” means nothing. Levi, whathappened?

I would have to say, like, right when we got back from the [Republican] convention, things got crazy. When the convention was going on, I think it was probably like… I think that’s when we all felt the most comfortable together. We spent a lot of time together down there. It was going great. Then we came back. And when it really hit the fan, I think, is when Sarah lost, and they came back and everything was just kind of…just getting weird.
(There are a lot of clues contained in this sentence. This completely flies in the face of the warm and fuzzy picture that Sarah and Bristol were painting of her relationship with Levi and how they cared for the (newborn?) baby Tripp together.)


....Did you get the sense that her parents were pressuring her?

I know that her parents didn’t want us together. I really don’t think they did. So they probably put a little pressure on her. But at the same time, they told us they wanted us to get married when they found out Bristol was pregnant. Whether they put pressure on her for the breakup—I don’t know what the deal was.

Did you love her? (Yes)

I think we were in love. I wasn’t one to stick with a girl for three years (Did you catch that? Three years!) if I wasn’t. I’m pretty sure you can call it love, but it’s just amazing how fast it can change like that. We were together every day. The feeling we got when we were with each other, it was just totally gone.

The article is quite long, but it IS informative. If you are like me you will have to read every single word. If you do, and find any other notable quotes that I may have missed feel free to let me know.

I have set aside time today to follow up on a couple of leads and I finally tracked down a very elusive source so I hope to have more later this weekend.

Fingers crossed folks.

28 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:25 AM

    (This is Sarah in SC--my computer is fritzing & I can't log in to my google acct, but didn't want to be "anonymous.")

    Thank you, Gryphen, for the update and for keeping on keeping on! You have no idea how many times a day I check your site to see if there's any news....or maybe you do, if you're able to tell who logs in. lol I check so many times I'm afraid I look like a stalker. haha

    Stay safe & keep the faith! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely worth reading for the insight it gives. I think the last line is the most telling: Levi is what the Palins are pretending to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen that "budget hotel" the writer refers to -- via Google Earth. It's just a hop-skip-jump westerly from the Palin house on the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you have posted above from the article, Gryphen, seems quite "unfiltered" and straightforward, from a kid that isn't used to dissembling and hasn't, for the most part, in his comments for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:47 AM

    Poor little baby Tripp, the genetic material doesn't look too impressive on either side for 2 generations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:49 AM

    Thanks Gryhen, my first thought and I am sure there will be more when I run a hot bath and soak into this article, is the 3 years. There are so many articles which date or number the length of time he was with Bristol. They stem from 1 to 3 years, and there was Johnny supposedly less than a year (pre election) before Levi, Levi's previous girlfriend in that same period Lanesia (sp), so he would of started with Bristol at 15 and she would of been 13/14? Or were they just on again off again, with others in between. Sounds like a loose definition of "stick with". I feel sorry for him in that he probably has to pick and choose between reality what he has to say in order to stay out of the Palin cross hairs and just his own confusion now. I can't wait to read the article I hope they asked him what wearing the wedding ring was all about. And did he give Bristol that engagement ring or did the RNC go shopping for that, also, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:03 AM

    Here is another interesting statement:
    "In the airport restaurant, where a waitress walked up to Tank and said, “Hey, Shaq!” we ate our chowder. I read aloud a copy of the National Enquirer, which had a piece about Levi and Bristol in it. We’d seen it at the newsstand. Tank was laughing at the gossip, but Levi’s face was tense and got harder the more I read. When I stopped, he said, “Some of that’s true.” (I wonder which issue that is, because we need to read it carefully!)

    “Which parts are true?”

    He wouldn’t tell me that—Tank had taught him a few things already—but he did say, “There’s stuff in there that’s true that only a few people know.” Someone was selling stories, in other words, someone extremely close to him this time. He looked genuinely troubled. He put the Ricky shades back on."

    So here is the Enquirer article, which truth does he mean?

    "Levi Johnston shopping tell-all to finance custody battle for his son!

    Gov. Sarah Palin’s worst nightmare is coming true! Her grandson’s dad is shopping an explosive tell-all book targeting the former vice-presidential candidate, say sources.

    It’s the latest shot fired in the all-out war between the families of the Alaska governor and 19-year-old Levi Johnston, the estranged father of Sarah’s grandson Tripp.

    “Levi was right there in the middle,” a source told The ENQUIRER. “He knows what really happened inside the Palin family.”

    Levi says he has been banned by the Palins from going on outings with his baby son, and he believes a tell-all book could help pay the legal bills in an anticipated custody dispute, say sources close to him.

    “If Levi could get a million bucks, it would be worth telling all he really knows. He’s already broken with the Palins, calling them liars on national TV,” said the source.

    Levi’s battle with the Palins exploded when he revealed on the Tyra Banks Show that he is not allowed to take his son out of the Palin home. And Bristol, he said, “doesn’t want me around.”

    A spokesperson for Gov. Palin responded by trying to discredit the teen, saying Levi and his family are “engaging in flat-out lies.”

    Said the source: “Levi knows a lot about the family not only from his relationship with the governor’s daughter, Bristol, but from his longtime friendship with the Palins’ oldest son, Track.”

    Sources in Alaska have alleged that the pretty politician had an affair with husband Todd’s former business partner. And lifelong friends of Bristol, Levi and Track have charged that the three have engaged in drug use, drinking and other illegal activity that the governor has tried to hide.

    Enquirer investigative reported were told that Track, now in the military, had become an OxyContin addict allegedly involved in vandalism and theft.

    A pal of Levi’s told The Enquirer that the young father is eager to write the book to provide financial security for his son Tripp and himself, to set the record straight - and to help pay the bills if he gets embroiled in a custody battle over the youngster.

    Out of the spotlight, Levi is now working odd jobs. His dream: to be an electrician - and the author of a blockbuster expose."

    I sure hope it is the book! But I think Sarah has a few lies she might like to clear up before the book comes out! Might make people go easier on her when it does come out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:33 AM

    Or was it this comment from the previous National Enquirer story:

    "Bristol held a grudge against Mercede because some of her friends had dated Levi," the close source explained. "The girls meant nothing to Levi, but Bristol wouldn't accept that. The irony is that Bristol stole Levi from her childhood best friend Lanesia Garcia, who dated Levi for three years before Bristol did!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:35 AM

    Yep "silla" is Palin country.
    Palin lovers are all over the place out here!
    Levi isn't alone though... I for one am sick of Palin and having to deal with all her intrusive aspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw parts of this before you posted it and the 3 years also really stood out in my mind. I think that is pretty significant. That would mean since the first year or two of high school. I know things have really changed since since I was in high school (LOL many years ago!) My niece, now a junior told me there are kids in junior high (lots of them she said) have sex. So..... It's conceivable Trig is their baby too. And I hate saying this but there are MANY congenital disorders and we only have Sarah's word that it's Downs. Ever see a child with fetal alcohol syndrome?

    Another thing that stood to me is that Scarshs VP run really messed up Levis life!
    I can easily see why it would be hard for him to get a job now. This will wear off at some point, but still...if I were him I would be angry! They used him for political reasons and then basically dumped him. I also think Bristol probably is playing with his feelings now. Her parents probably encourage him to do this so maybe he will be quiet!!

    Who knows it's all speculation and I really hope some concrete info comes out soon. I am sick of Scarah getting away with her bold lies! She makes me sick!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. anon 10:49-

    it appears bristol's birthday is 10.18.1990
    and levi's is 5.3.1990

    and they broke up around the beginning of this year. so if you take the "3 years" literally, say they the got together somewhere in the beginning of 2006 -at that point they both would have been 15, then levi turns 16 in may, bristol follows suit in october.

    so where are you getting "he was 15 she was 13" ideas from?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:19 PM

    I'm begining to think that Bristol have only one baby, Tripp. How can she take on being a spokeperson, while having this secret? It doesn't make sense, unless Sarah is truly crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some short quotes that stuck out for me--

    "Wasilla is a sh*thole surrounded by such beauty." Perfect.

    "Levi is a mushroom growing in the shadow of [SP's story]." Better analogy than a salmon swimming upstream, only to die after spawning. Though that would have been much more convenient for GINO's agenda--and even sympathy-provoking.

    While doing the grip 'n grin (D.C. expression) on the tarmac before the RNC, John McCain's assessment that Levi had "good working hands" was a tactful compliment that Levi could appreciate. (Under the circumstances, McCain hardly could say, "Hey, great sperm motility, dude...")

    That Levi wore "the face of a child" when asleep on the airplane just tore my heart. Two of my sons are not much older than Levi, and despite the radical difference between their lives and his, when my sons nap--in a car or plane, on the couch--the years fall away, and I can see them as they used to be. It appears that Levi will only have Palin-doled-out bits and pieces of time from which to remember his son as an infant and child.

    Thanks for the post and link, Gryphen. I felt relieved that Levi has Rex and Tank to advise and accompany him. Even paid advocates, if they're the right ones (and in this case, I think they are), can be infinitely more helpful and protective than friends, former and so-called "friends," and family in such an unprecedented, media-inflaming situation as Levi's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe it's just me but I had a little trouble following this writer's style. I found myself having to reread sentences here and there. I also cringed a few times when he made comments about Levi being "dumb" and childlike or imagining Tank playing a Tonto roll in a Levi/hunting reality show. I'm wondering if the Levi/Rex/Tank team got to sign off on the article. I hope so. I hate the idea of Levi waiting for the issue to debut and having to read that cold, especially because he'd come to trust this guy.

    Nonetheless, when I finished reading I was left with a refreshed sense of disgust for the paparazzi as well as for Sarah. When all is said and done, how many lives will have been irrevocably changed by her choices. Her ambitions , even if they truly are fueled by a belief that she is doing God's work, have severely and negatively impacted a half dozen children who are just getting underway in their lives and they will never be the same again.

    Like everyone else, I am so looking forward to this coming to an end so that these kids can begin to live in peace again. I'm hoping it's sooner than later but sadly ... most likely that is so not the case.

    (Is it wrong that I'm entertaining a fantasy of Jesus manifesting in the Governor's office and launching into an ear cuffing and dressing down that would make the biblical scene with the money changers in the temple look like light-hearted playground joshing ? )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:26 PM

    "follow up a couple of leads....elusive source....more this weekend...."

    from a believer, who has probably been driving your 'hit' count up, this is unfortunately starting to sound like a regular Friday afternoon soap cliffhanger.

    I'm starting to wonder if this is "Much ado about nothing"

    But as a veteran from Nixon's Watergate and Reagan's Iran Contra...I hate to give those in power the benefit of the doubt and diligence....

    But po-leeeeze....if there is no information, don't turn this blog into a silly soap opera, where we wait anxiously every Friday afternoon with a titilating promise.......

    Which I must say...this blog is teetering near that edge for the past few weeks.....after Mudflats was quieted by the Wasilla Machine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous3:34 PM

    If Levi can get a decent book contract, and then Levi & Bristol ride off into the sunset, it would be a great fairy tale ending, while "Snidely" Palin screams "curses foiled again!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. nswfm CA3:59 PM

    Mudflats was quieted by the Wasilla Machine?

    ReplyDelete
  18. nswfm CA4:01 PM

    Eh, hope he and the kid get away from the entire Palin Clan. Bristol is exhibiting too many mommy signs to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous4:01 PM

    Todd offers to buy Bristol a car, and Bristol gives Levi a Hummer. Guess there are some happy drivers in Wasilla.

    ReplyDelete
  20. crystalwolf aka caligrl5:29 PM

    Gryphen the school thing hit me too. I think Levi is supposed to be a year older than Bristol.
    The home schooling had to happen 2007-08. And why were they home schooled????
    Didn't he say he didn't even get to play hocky In he last season? That would of been 2007 b/c he was working on the slope in 10/08.
    And the 3 years thing.
    I guess poor Levi's only claim to fame is being a "hunter" they make him sound like a wanton killer killing every moving animal in sight which I hope isn't true.
    Oh and his other claim to fame...Bristol preg 1(2)times.
    He better write that book.

    Anon@2:26pm-keep your pants on! Gryphen has a secret. I know this for a fact. He will reveal when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete
  21. crystalwolf aka caligrl5:31 PM

    Yeah, WTF is the "Wasilla machine"? Anon is a idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  22. crystalwolf-

    according to publicly available AK traffic court records, it appears

    bristol's birthday is 10.18.1990
    and levi's is 5.3.1990

    and they broke up around the beginning of this year. so if you take the "3 years" literally, say they the got together somewhere in the beginning of 2006 -at that point they both would have been 15, then levi turns 16 in may, bristol follows suit in october.

    they are about 5 months apart in age, but i don't know if AK cut-off dates would put them in different school years for kindergarten.

    http://courtrecords.alaska.gov/pa/ep.urd/PAMW6500 -bristol

    http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov/pa/pa.urd/PAMW6500 -levi

    ReplyDelete
  23. crystalwolf aka caligrl7:59 PM

    luna1580-well DMV records should know, lol, they kept calling Levi 19 last year and Bristol 17 until her b-day in Oct.
    So they are both 19 now??
    So many lies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous10:36 PM

    luna I am the anon you are asking about the ages. I thought Levi was referred to as a year older than Bristol and a year ahead in school. It was my understanding from the AP interview Levi gave that he dropped out in his senior year and Bristol was a junior at the time she dropped out. So many contradictions in the media.

    ReplyDelete
  25. FEDUP!!!10:45 PM

    I am a bit confused about Levi 'dating Bristol' for 3 years, and before, having dated Laneshia (sp?) for 3 years. A bit early for all that, isn't it? (At least in my book, but I guess I am a bit old-fashioned...)

    ReplyDelete
  26. crystalwolf-

    well, if i can still do basic math, and if the birth-dates i cited are accurate:

    -as of today, levi is 19 and bristol will turn 19 in october.-


    gryphen, can you confirm these ages/birthdates?

    i thought AK traffic court was a viable source (thank goodness they're both "past" speeders! lol), but i'm not a local and could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous11:56 PM

    Gryphen--

    What jumped out at me was Levi's comment after he described what he meant when he said things got "weird" and so he just said "all right."

    From the article:

    What did he mean, “weird”?

    Everybody was kind of like, we didn’t talk as much anymore, you know, and we just kind of like drifted apart, as far as me and Sarah and Todd. Then me and Bristol just started fighting more and more. I thought it was, like, ’cause she was pregnant, she was moody and that kind of thing. So I was dealing with it and stuff. But it didn’t stop after she had Tripp. Things got worse. So I was like, “All right.”

    What did he mean, “All right”?

    I left and went back home....My interpretation: Levi was living with the Palins before and after the election, until things got "weird" after Palin lost and continued to be weird even after Tripp was born. So he left and went back home.

    Which is what Levi said in his Tyra Banks interview.

    To which Palin replied, during a press conference: "...I know details about whether Levi Johnston was allowed to live with my teenage daughter or not. By the way, it would be over my dead body that a kid would live with my teenage daughter."

    Riiight!

    BTW crystalwolf: If Bristol's bday is 10.18.1990, she won't turn 19 until October of this year, 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous6:09 PM

    Why would a kid who loves to play hockey, had been a high school star since Freshman year and a player at the Jr. National level suddenly quit and choose to homeschool to finish high school? Not likely. I think he had a child and then another.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.