Monday, August 31, 2009

Bob Poe supports equal rights in Anchorage. Believe it or not that actually sets him apart from other politicians in the state. I know right?

I support equal rights for all people. And I support banning discrimination in Anchorage due solely to someone's sexual orientation. I support a comprehensive equal rights ordinance because it's the right thing to do, period.

Wow! A gubernatorial candidate who supports equal rights and does not go to a fundamentalist church? Gee is it too early to cast my vote?

After the prejudice and oppression that defined the Palin administration it is like a breath of fresh air to finally have somebody running for the office who understands that basic human rights are for ALL humans, not just the ones that look like you, think like you, and go to your church.

And look! Bob even explains his point of view using a thing called "logic":

Anchorage is becoming a real city, perhaps even destined to be the next great West Coast city, but it needs to guard against the attitudes that would hold us back. Anchorage would not be what it is today without the Performing Arts Center, the First Friday art gallery walk, a variety of music venues, Saturday Market, the Dena'ina Center, City Market, or even a downtown disc golf course. All of these are examples of things that make a city better, one that is growing. Being open to new ideas, different lifestyles, new and different ways to embrace life is important to a bright future here. But to get there we need the right attitude first.

I support equal rights for every person because it is the right thing to do. I also support this ordinance because it can help Anchorage attract the talented people it will need to build its future as a great place to live and work for all of us.

I could not have said it better myself, and believe me I tried.

I am not sure who all of the possible candidates for Governor will be as we get closer to election Tuesday, but I have to say that Bob Poe has certainly not been shy to take on the tough issues and expose himself to criticism from those who do not agree with him. And I am sure it will surprise no one to learn that is something I find very admirable.

The last thing I want is some wishy washy, double talking Democrat, who is trying to be all things to all people, to get the nomination this time. I want somebody with chutzpah.

And by the way. I really do know Bob Poe. And I like him.

I think that if you got to know him, you would too.

9 comments:

  1. I do not live in Alaska, but hey, can I vote for him too? If only .... if only we had more politicians and more people who felt that equal rights for everybody is just the right thing to do. So simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be optimistic. Bob Poe would be a wonderful choice! A voice of intelligence, reason, and sanity. Due to those attributes, we can expect Prevo and Eddie Burke to do everything in their power to stop him,, right?
    C'mon Alaskans - wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Bob Poe more everyday. If he keeps this up he can count on my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:53 PM

    Gryphen, do you know Bob Poe's position on the Pebble Mine and the expanded mining district over there? I asked him that question on a Mudflats post, I believe it was, but I never got an answer.

    Blue_in_AK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad he stood up on this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far he is best to have signed up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blue_in_AK, no I do not know what Bob's position is on the Pebble mine. You are not the only one who wants to know the answer to that question either.

    I was going to see him last week, as he was very close to my neighborhood, but something came up and I did not make it. That was going to be one of my questions.

    Perhaps I will get the opportunity to ask him soon. When I do I will post it here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:52 AM

    Thanks, Gryphen. I want to be able to support Mr. Poe wholeheartedly because I like a lot of what he's had to say, but I know that he's somewhat more development-oriented than I am, and if he's for the Pebble Mine, that might be a deal-breaker for me. I just don't see how anyone in their right mind could support this project that has such a potential for environmental, and human, catastrophe.

    Blue_in_AK

    ReplyDelete
  9. MadCityKaren7:30 PM

    I wish that I lived in Alaska just so that I could have the opportunity to vote for Bob!

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.