Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Charges of "Communism" and "McCarthyism" are tossed around Anchorage Assembly. Who says Alaska politics are not entertaining if Sarah is not involved?

Sheila Selkregg offered several amendments to the plan, one under the heading of "Social Equity."

It's safe to say that's something Assemblyman Bill Starr does not agree with.

"This Selkregg manifesto now speaks to words such as social equity," Starr said.

"It speaks to several platforms that are solidly entrenched in the communist planks. One of them is sort of leveling of ... moving toward a classless society," Starr said afterwards.

"If you think that makes me a communist, I think that what I'll have to say to you, is that you sound a lot like a McCarthy person, I mean for goodness sakes," Selkregg responded.

"I was really surprised to be called names, and I guess I was called a communist," Selkregg said later.

She says her amendments weren't related to communism at all.

"When we make our decisions, there's a sense of fairness and we don't make decisions that result in poor people or middle class people paying a lot to the benefit of people who are very wealthy," she said.

But Starr says the comparisons to the "communist manifesto" are valid.

"I do (stand by what I said). I think it's a fair analogy. I think the role of government is what we're analyzing at this point and where we move into the social program needs, how we provide that social equity, that's not our job," Starr said.


Well it looks like Anchorage has its own little Teabagger party in control of Anchorage.

Let's see if I understand this correctly. If you disagree with Dr. Franken-mayor Dan Sullivan, and his toady Bill "just call me Igor" Starr you are a "communist". Well that should make for a fair and open discussion of the ideas now shouldn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Funny. I was taught that the "All men are created equal." Was and American plank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only toads I see here are you and the anonymous person whose comment indicates just how bad our education system has become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long is Sullivan's term?

    I found it especially interesting that the 'communist' amendment passed only to meet a veto by the very full-of-himself miffed mayor.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.