Saturday, November 21, 2009

PLEASE READ THIS POST!

Today the Senate votes on cloture concerning the Senate Health Care Bill.

"Cloture" is defined as: The only procedure by which the Senate can vote to place a time limit on consideration of a bill or other matter, and thereby overcome a filibuster. Under the cloture rule (Rule XXII), the Senate may limit consideration of a pending matter to 30 additional hours, but only by vote of three-fifths of the full Senate, normally 60 votes.

In other words if this does not pass tonight's crucial vote it will allow the Republicans to filibuster and play "rope a dope" with this thing in an attempt to run out the clock, or wear the Democrats down. This country has been waiting almost a century for health care reform and we CANNOT allow the Republicans, whose vote is bought and paid for by the insurance companies, to sabotage this important legislation again!

Please call your Senators and let them know that you want them to vote yes on cloture tonight!

Don't let it dissuade you that your Senator is a Republican, you still have a right to have your voice be heard.

I just called Senator Begich, who I know is going to vote YES on this, at 202-224-3004. And I also called Senator Murkowski, who I know is going to vote NO on this, at 202-224-6665. I got through right away on both calls, and I don't feel either one was a waste of my time because I exercised my rights as a citizen and now BOTH of my Senators know how I feel. Isn't that MY job as an American?

It may not change a damn thing, but at least I tried. And I encourage everybody who cares about this issue to do the same thing. You know that the Republicans are calling by the thousands in response to the fear mongering and bullshit, fed to them by Fox News and Sarah Palin. Should we do any less in the name of truth and honesty?

Do your senators know YOU feel yet? No? Well what are you waiting for? You can find contact information for your senators right here. Just take a moment and to call them up and tell them that a vote of yes on cloture is a vote that YOU support.

And then if you don't mind, please leave a comment right here so that visitors can see how many Americans support Health Care Reform in this country. When the Republicans again say that the American people have spoken out against this bill, we will have evidence here, and on other liberal blogs, that they are lying once again to their constituents.

How powerful will THAT be in the next election cycle?

Thank you very much for your attention to this matter.

Namaste my friends

Gryphen

Update: It looks like the teabaggers are admitting defeat.

We have heard a lot of outrage over the past several weeks from Tea Party Patriots around the country that no matter how loud we protest, no matter how often we go to DC, no matter how large our crowds are, Congress is not listening to us. We have heard that Sen. Blanche Lincoln's office is getting phone calls 15 - 1 asking her to vote NO on cloture and against the health care bill. Despite what their constituents want, Congress appears to be doing what they want rather than representing us.
...
We understand your outrage and frustration. We are working on plans to change tactics while keeping the pressure on the Senate for Health Care, Cap and Trade, and the Central Valley Water issue. We will continue to work on those plans over the week of Thanksgiving. Stay posted as we work with local coordinators to announce additional plans and ideas.


See? Sometimes the good guys DO win. Keep up those phone calls and e-mails. Now is not the time to rest on our laurels.

24 comments:

  1. I called both Alaskan senators this morning after reading AKM's post.I don't hold out much hope for Senator Murkowski to vote "yes" but at least I had my say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I phoned both senators, and got a very different response from them: Sen. Murkowski's staffer just said "Thank you" in a very formal business tone. Sen. Begich's staffer was talkative and friendly, asked my name and home town, and wanted to know if I wanted to put in any more comments on anything else. I'm glad I made the calls and want to urge all Alaskans and everybody else to call their Senators about his vital legislation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. phoebes-in-santa fe11:30 AM

    I just called and left messages with both my senators - Bingaman and Udall - to vote tonight for cloture so that we can begin the debate for HCR and, eventually, pass it.

    Bingaman and Udall are New Mexico, in case you didn't know. (Actually, most people haven't the foggiest who Bingaman is).

    ReplyDelete
  4. WA- two calls and two e-mails thanking Murray and Cantwell for helping America truly "progress." AZ daughter contacted "them" to at least register her support of health care and disappointment that "they" don't seem to even want to discuss it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I phoned them both this morning, Gryphen. Both offices were friendly. Begich's took my name; Murkowski's took my name and address.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like they got the 60 votes.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:17 PM

    I live in Northern Virginia and called my Senator Mark Warner and told his staff that I want him to vote yes on HCR cloture tonight. I gave her my name and address and she said she would make certain he got my message. I am still trying to get through to Senator Jim Webb's office [line busy], but I will continue to get through since it is only 4:00 p.m. here. At least I got to express my desire in favor of 'health insurance reform' and if my senators expect to be reelected, they know they better listen to their constitutents. They KNOW we, the public, 'KNOWS BEYOND A DOUBT' that they usually work for 'corporations' as opposed to working for their constitutents, but if they want to win their next election, they can't afford to work for the corps and not us because we are WATCHING THEIR VOTES VERY CAREFULLY. Even with that knowledge, there is no guarantee of a win for any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:31 PM

    i would love to help out but,, phone calls from belize are outrageous, and i would no doubt end up on hold.
    plus, we got our hands full with one of the most corrupt governments going.
    good luck, i feel your pain.
    (love the blog, i read several times a day)

    bill in belize

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:39 PM

    From California - I don't need to call; I know my senators are voting for it, but I'm glad you made this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:47 PM

    I just want to support everything Gryphen has said in his post. It is very important that everyone contribute his/her voice and your Senators and your Congressperson do indeed take notice of the phone calls. It is one of the most important things you can do to have your voice heard.

    BTW: Sarah Palin tweeted a little bit ago:

    "Not sure I can convince Sen. Lincoln to vote no - but will do everything in my pwr to convince my friends in Arkansas to vote against her."

    Private Sarah Palin is using her power - make sure you use yours.

    Great effort in getting the word out, Gryphen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:12 PM

    I just called Lisa's office and was told they do not know how she will vote. I then said that I would like for her to vote yes for cloture, and the person taking calls said "you do know this is Sen.Murkowski's office you are talking too?". I found this funny that he must have thought I called the wrong number. I replied back that I knew who I called and hoped that Lisa would be a "real patriot" and vote for cloture... He thanked me and hung up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. phoebes-in-santa fe1:15 PM

    Um, did Palin think that if she just asked Lincoln to vote against cloture that she'd do it?

    I think Gryphen is right about us all calling our senators, even those who we know are voting for cloture. My two, for instance. Because they more calls they get in favor of their vote, the better we'll be. You can be sure they're getting plenty of calls to vote against cloture.

    Even those senators voting against cloture will notice the calls they're geting against their vote.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Called mine in CT. Joe Lieberman's office just went straight to voice mail and both boxes were full. However, Sen Dodd's line was answered by an actual staffer within seconds of ringing and the man was pleasant and appreciated the call and said that Dodd will be voting "Yes"

    What a difference in how my call was received.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just because I still have my main residence in NH, I called their senators too. Judd Gregg's office was closed and I was only able to leave a voicemail, but Sen Shaheen's had an actual person answer within the first few rings. So in two states, the Rep's didn't bother to answer the phone and the Dem. Senators did.....how's that for listing to the people!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1:46 PM

    Fortunately, my soon-to-be-ex Senator, Specter, is supporting the bill.

    Boohoo. The teabaggers can't get their way. It's amazing that the crazies think they're the only ones on the planet. I guess majority rule means nothing to them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:10 PM

    Why do the teabaggers hate Americans?
    That's what it boils down to their hatred of the welfare of America.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous2:45 PM

    Did just what you and AKM asked. I live in Kansas. I knew it was waste of time considering we have Senators Brownback and Roberts - both stubborn, big-business-oriented, constituents-be-damned Republicans.

    Brownback's office assistant was polie and he said he would note our preference for a Yes vote but he didn't take our names or even ask if we were Kansans.

    Roberts' office would not let you get through using the number listed on the website with all the Senators numbers and email form links.The voice mail system commanded if you didn't know the extension number or did not have a touch tone phone "to hang up." Period.

    That, folks, is exactly the tone Senator Roberts sets even in his local offices. When I and others called his local KC metro office and asked that he support health care reform, the young man who is apparently his state coordinator laughed and hung up. Reminded me of what Anonymous 12:47 pm went through.

    Wanted to assure you through this anecdote that Alaska is not the only state with crappy Republican politicians. There must be a litmus test to join the Republican Party at the state and national level: scorn your constituents and go with the big donors' wishes only.

    ReplyDelete
  18. CNN just showed Sen. Lincoln kinda sorta saying maybe "yes for now, but..." She made is very clear she would vote against this bill if it actually comes up for a vote as it is with a public option. I really think the phone calls are working. It must be very hard to be against having a discussion- doesn't look very democratic. YEA!

    ReplyDelete
  19. KellyB3:08 PM

    The Wasidiot and her patriots... what a cluster f of epic proportions! Eh Sarah, a "patriot" is more than an individual who shares your own beliefs or lines up for your Book of Lies.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous3:15 PM

    Anon@2:45 You have my sympathy, I too live in Kansas and both Brownback and Roberts are terrible. Unfortunatly I think Brownback will be our next govenor. I'm not sure that the good people of Kansas will ever stop voting against their own best interests.
    Sue in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous4:11 PM

    60 votes.. we have cloture!

    -Braveny

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous7:34 PM

    We gotta keep the pressure up. Watching CNN and the Republican's portrayal of the bill was just too funny for words.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I sent an email to Blanche Lincoln asking her to vote with the Democrats.
    I cannot believe that not one republican voted yes with the Democrats.

    Not all Senators and republicans allow people other then those of their states to email them which I think is wrong, since we all pay for their websites. But, it is worth checking and emailing or calling.
    The website is house.gov or senate.gov

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry!
    That above post should read Senators and Congressmen NOT senators and republicans

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.