Sunday, December 06, 2009

My evening spent with a room full of Muckrakers.

Last night I got the privilege of witnessing my friend, and fellow Alaskan blogger, Jeanne Devon receive the Muckraker of the year award from the Cook Inlet Keeper's.

Shannyn Moore was the "Mistress of Ceremonies" and the place was packed full of bloggers (Celtic Diva, Phil Munger, and John Aronno of the Alaska Commons were there as well), mudpuppies, local activists, and more than a few luminaries.

Jeanne (AKM) gave a great speech in which she talked about the importance of becoming involved in our community and having our voice heard in whatever way suits us, whether it be blogging, writing letters to the editor, leaving comments on established blogs, or even sending e-mails with information alerting bloggers to a new idea for a post. She also discussed the importance of the new media and reminded us that there are some who are working to silence us, after which she emphasised our concerns over Net Neutrality.

I also had a very interesting conversation with Anne Kilkenny, who did not know who I was at first but became fascinated with the story of my outing this last summer. Surprisingly she told me that she had received NO death threats which I found remarkable considering how many the bloggers have received over the last year or so.

I also congratulated Diane Benson on her wonderful portrayal of Elizabeth Peratrovich, in the amazing documentary "For the Rights of All". Which VERY person in this country should watch. It is an eye opening, and brutally honest look at how the Alaskan natives were treated, and mistreated, by the Americans since the purchase of Alaska from Russia, and how the native people fought to be treated as equals.

Diane also invited me to the Bartlett Club meeting on December 17, where she said she will be making a very special announcement. (Hmm, I wonder if this means what I THINK it means?)

All in all, I had a great time. I ate good food, had wonderful conversations, and watched my very good friend receive an award that she deserves more than anybody. (As you can tell because they named it after her.)

If you want to read AKM's account of the evening, you can do so by taking a hop skip and a jump over to Mudflats.

Update: Here is Phil Munger's account of last night over at Progressive Alaska.

5 comments:

  1. I've posted my pics from last night, along with captions, at Progressive Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ICstraightsSEAK4:11 PM

    Sounds like a great time!

    Gryphen: How many death threats have you all received collectivly and what have you done? Call the police, hire a lawyer? Have the threats stopped? That is just terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gryph. I was so glad you were there! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. crystalwolf aka caligrl5:54 PM

    Great write up Phil (I am not able to post at your site anymore)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:39 PM

    So Gyphen, we know you intelligent, have a good heart, great sense of humor but you are good looking as well. And you can't stand Sarah.
    I think I love you.

    NYCgirl

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.