Sunday, June 20, 2010

President Obama's Father's Day message to us Dads.

Good afternoon,

As the father of two young daughters, I know that being a father is one of the most important jobs any man can have.

My own father left my family when I was two years old. I was raised by a heroic mother and wonderful grandparents who provided the support, discipline and love that helped me get to where I am today, but I still felt the weight of that absence throughout my childhood. It's something that leaves a hole no government can fill. Studies show that children who grow up without their fathers around are more likely to drop out of high school, go to jail, or become teen fathers themselves.
And while no government program can fill the role that fathers play for our children, what we can do is try to support fathers who are willing to step up and fulfill their responsibilities as parents, partners and providers. That's why last year I started a nationwide dialogue on fatherhood to tackle the challenge of father absence head on.

In Chicago, the Department of Health and Human Services held a forum with community leaders, fatherhood experts and everyday dads to discuss the importance of responsible fatherhood support programs. In New Hampshire, Secretary of Education Duncan explored the linkages between father absence and educational attainment in children. In Atlanta, Attorney General Holder spoke with fathers in the criminal justice system about ways local reentry organizations, domestic violence groups and fatherhood programs can join together to support ex-offenders and incarcerated individuals who want to be closer to their families and children.

Now we're taking this to the next level. Tomorrow, I'll make an announcement about the next phase of our efforts to help fathers fulfill their responsibilities as parents -- The President's Fatherhood and Mentoring Initiative. You can learn more at http://www.fatherhood.gov/.

This Father's Day -- I'm thankful for the opportunity to be a dad to two wonderful daughters. And I'm thankful for all the wonderful fathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers and friends who are doing their best to make a difference in the lives of a child.

Happy Father's Day.
Sincerely,
President Barack Obama

When I was a boy my father just up and left.  My mother, who is a truly amazing woman, took up the slack.  She worked two jobs to support us, taught me how to throw a baseball, how to to care for the people around me, and perhaps most important of all how to treat the women in my life with respect and to NEVER objectify them or treat them like they were less than my equal.

She also taught me not to run away from my commitment, not to be afraid to show my softer side, and to stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves.  In short, my mother taught me how to be the kind of father I never had, but that every child deserves.  I have done my best to live up to her expectations. I am positive that I have fallen short, though my daughter seems to vigorously disagree with that assessment.

Thank you all for the very kind Father's Day wishes I have received.  I was very touched.

And to you dads out there I also want to wish you a happy Father's Day as well. I hope your day is full of barbecues, small home repairs, and at least one game of catch.  You know, "Dad stuff!"

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:54 PM

    Gryphen, Thank you for your kind words and posting the president's letter. I think you are a loving human being who is no doubt a wonderful dad!
    Happy Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:02 PM

    Happy Fathers Day to you also, Gryphen.

    I viewed photos of Obama with his daughters. Afterward I wondered what a difference having a father in my life would have been.I have no experiences as captured of the Obamas. My father left when I was young nor caring if I and two underage sibs went to foster care. Relatives intervened to provide a home until our mother could.

    What you wrote in recognition of your mother touched me personally. I believe those are vital things your mother taught you. Thanks for your remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy father's day to you, Gryphen, a dad I admire!

    There's also the sadness of having a father who is there, but not "there." Present in the house, but not involved in a daughter's life if possible. Not available for help--from little hurts to catastrophes--and quick to brush off any events in a daughter's life as "no big deal." To him, undoubtedly. But not to her. Or, I should say, me.

    So to all of the fathers in the IM community, thank you for being THERE for your children, sons or daughters...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:31 PM

    Happy Fathers Day Gryphen. Your mother is a wonderful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. womanwithsardinecan2:31 PM

    Happy Father's Day to all fathers except mine, who is an asshole. And hugs to my grandson who does not get to wish his murdered father a happy Father's Day. Happy Father's Day to my dead son, who tried to be a good father even though he was just another dumb teenager when he became a father.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:28 PM

    Thanks for sharing Gryphen. Nice tribute to your mother and yes, each one of us have either happy or unhappy memories. It's a great testimony when that deprived kid decides after he grows up that he'll do the right thing when it's his turn to be a parent, and refuses to follow the unhealthy patterns of his parent's behavior.

    I could say my recollections are more like the Barones (Everybody Loves Raymond), but, that's life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WakeUpAmerica3:28 PM

    Uh oh. Now the Tundra Turd will have to be anti-father. I wonder how she will spin that.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. emrysa5:37 PM

    happy fathers day, gryphen. I hope you got to spend some good time with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:30 AM

    Any man can donate sperm to become a father.... but it takes a real man to be a daddy....Happy Daddy's Day Gryph.....

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.