Friday, October 29, 2010

Here is tomorrow's schedule for Rally to Restore Sanity.

From Digital Journal:

10:00 a.m.: The pre-pre-show begins with videos and music on the jumbotron to keep the gathering crowd friendly and entertained.

Noon: The pre-show starts with a performance from The Roots.

12:40: A comedian (to be determined) warms up the audience.

12:57: A video countdown with a show introduction.

1:00: The show kicks off with the national anthem by a musical guest (to be announced).

1:05: Mr. Stewart welcomes the crowd

1:20: Mr. Colbert enters, and two actors – Don Novello and Sam Waterston – perform readings.

1:40: Jeff Tweedy and Mavis Staple perform for 10 minutes, followed by Stewart and Colbert until 2 p.m.

2:15: Sheryl Crow performs for five minutes, followed by speakers and guests (to be determined).

2:30: Musical guests (also still being lined up) play

2:40: The show turns to a pre-taped sequence – The Sanity and Fear Awards

This rally in Washington will also air on Comedy Central and The Comedy Network.

It is my understanding that there are also several surprises not included on this schedule.

I just returned from walking to the East Seaton park at the end the National Mall.  It is about a half hour walk from where I am staying and I intend to get there early, probably around 9:00 A.M..

I did the touristy thing and visited as many of the Smithsonian buildings as I could, including the Natural History and the Air and Space Museum. I also saw the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, the World War 2 Memorial, and of course the White House. Whew!

The wind is blowing like crazy today, and there are dark clouds rolling in, though the forecast says it should be sunny on Saturday.  I hope so, not that I would not GLADLY sit in a downpour to see Jon and Stephen. Cause you know I would.

I am really looking forward to tomorrow and hope I do better at taking pictures then I did today.

Here are a few that survived.

Building the sets
For those who are overwhelmed with all of the sanity
I am not gay or anything but I have to say that Georgie was rocking quite a physique
Like I said I hope to have more, and better pictures, after the rally tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

Update: As for meeting up tomorrow, I have received a number of phone numbers and contact e-mails from many of you to facilitate a meet up. However, I don't really have the time to answer each query individually. So if you don't mind how about if I just use my twitter account (You can see the twitter feed on the right hand side of this blog) to let you all know where I will be tomorrow during the rally (as soon as I figure that out of course), and we can meet then.  I will be wearing a McAdams "It's about Alaska" pin so I should be easy relatively easy to spot.

As for this evening I am heading over to Malia Litman's book signing at Borders Books on 1800 L Street at 6:30, so we can meet up then as well. .Even if we don't see each other I hope that ALL of you attending have a great time.  I know I will!

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:03 PM

    O/T

    Mercede said she would post "later this week". Is there going to be a post or not?

    I'm guessing "not."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:10 PM

    Good luck G!!! I just found out we have a rally here in Vegas at the Freemont Street Experience and the hubby is off tomorrow, so we'll be there. Have a wonderful and safe trip and can't wait for the pictures.

    BTW, I love the huge turnout for Palin and douchebag. Haha 300-400 people, or in Palin terms, millions! HAHAHAHA. I guess she had to go home and beat her husband and kick her dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BAustin12:14 PM

    Gryph-
    Check out the Newseum...its awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:17 PM

    It's going to be like the first Clinton Inauguration celebration on the Mall.

    Too many stars to name, remember, but it was unfuckingbelievable.

    With conservative events, you are only stuck with country stars. Snnooooooozzzeeee.

    It's going to be mad fun tomorrow. Mad not as in mean-girl Sarah Palin mad, but crazy fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:29 PM

    http://www.thepoliticalcarnival.net/2010/10/video-im-not-voting-republican-this-year-because-i-have-a-memory/

    Excellent PR video. spread it around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:54 PM

    Have a wonderful time. I won't be in DC this weekend, but I'll be there next weekend. There is never a bad time to visit DC.
    Rock on for sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chenagrrl1:13 PM

    As a cub, I covered Pat Paulsen when he came to Alaska to campaign for Ernest Gruening. Wayyyyyy back when. Gruening, of course lost, to Mike Gravel, another guy who knows more than anyone else and used Alaska. I see similar tendencies in Joe Miller.

    However, the experience uncovered a deep affection in me for political theater.

    I am looking forward not only to the staged presentation, but also to the crowd.

    I am looking

    ReplyDelete
  8. FEDUP!!!1:14 PM

    Anon @12:29: EXCELLENT VIDEO! Thanks for sharing it with us... I shared it with my friends on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:18 PM

    Eddie Izzard just tweeted he's going to be there

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chenagrrl1:40 PM

    By the way, I am going as an Alaskan taxpayer from the FNSB.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:06 PM

    Have a blast. BFF & I will be there as well. I'm excited because I never go anywhere.

    IT'S ABOUT ALASKA !

    NYCgirl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2:39 PM

    I'm in awe of your energy and Spirit, G. Have a fantastic time there. Just a note: should you be posting your exact whereabouts on Twitter? Just want you to be safe..these days. Melly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3:53 PM

    Check out the Vietnam memorial i you have the chance. I visited it years ago and it was a very moving experience.
    Have fun!
    VernD

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I saw the Vietnam War Memorial in 1991 it made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. emrysa5:01 PM

    YAY glad you went to the natural history museum! definitely one of my favorite places in dc. I am a rock nut so I love their rock/geodes/gems display. and of course the gift shop where you can buy tons of ROCKS!!! lol.

    glad you're having fun gryphen. tell barry there's a party down here tomorrow and we're expecting him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You pretty much did what I did when I was in D.C. with a few exceptions. Of course, that was in 1972.

    Didn't get to go up the Washington Monument because of some restoration or something. Did you? Loved the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials. Also all of the Smithsonian museums. Did the hope diamond look fake to you?

    I didn't do the war memorials but went to the National Cathedral. Didn't do the White House but walked by the Capitol.

    Also saw some of Georgetown.

    Enjoy yourself, as it sounds like you already are. Hope you meet up with some of your minority. That is the best part of trips like this.

    Oh, and if I were you I'd plan on getting there no later than 8 am. It is going to be crowded. Even if you walk, arriving one hour before the event is too late. Even if the main event doesn't start until later.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous 1:18 PM
    said...
    "Eddie Izzard just tweeted he's going to be there"

    :)My favorite commedian.

    Gryphen, thanks for the photos and you have a smashing good time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My step-mom/tea party crazy woman loves to take pics of any garbage left behind after any type of perceived liberal rally (which is what she called the inauguration. Also know there is a big, "liberals destroy our national mall" blog out there..will you take pics of the clean up and good stewardship/positive energy of this crowd?

    Have fun

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.