Thursday, May 19, 2011

Geoffrey Dunn, the author of "The Lies of Sarah Palin," in his own words.


Geoffrey Dunn and Gryphen in Alaska
Below is my interview with author, and my good friend, Geoffrey Dunn.

I attempted to ask Geoffrey questions that perhaps others would not think to ask him, as well as those to which I already knew the answers, but thought all of you might enjoy learning about as well.

Hopefully this interview will clear up some of the misconceptions that are swirling about concerning the research done for this book, and provide some insight into just what a herculean task writing a book which reveals the truth about such a secretive person can turn out to be.

So get a cup of your favorite beverage, sit back, and enjoy the conversation.

Gryphen: What was your very initial impression of Sarah Palin, when she first came onto the scene?

Geoffrey Dunn: I felt like I saw right through her from the get-go. I never felt, to steal a phrase from Gertrude Stein, like there was a there there. I knew people in the Mat-Su who said that her mayorship in Wasilla had been a disaster. I just never bought into the hype. When she was nominated for vice-president, I knew there was trouble ahead, and I was right.

Gryphen: How long did it take for you to start thinking there might be a problem with her ability to tell the truth?

Dunn: You know, there’s a fascinating editorial from the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman that was written in 1996. And it’s devoted to Palin’s inability to tell the truth. It’s stunning. It’s been part of her M.O. from the beginning. In November of last year my friends in Alaska all emailed me about her lying about the weather in Juneau when she was on Fox News. She lies about the weather. She lies about everything. As I say in the book, it’s a pathology.

Gryphen: When did you first decide to write a book about her, and what was the impetus of that idea?

Dunn: I had no intention of ever writing a book about Palin when I first started writing about her for the Huffington Post. None. Nada. I assumed that someone would grab a book deal about her and run with it. Plus, I didn’t want to spend a couple of years working on a book about her. But then several people started encouraging me to write a book – this was near the end of the 2008 campaign – and remember, she was coming back to Alaska to finish out her term for governor —and so the first idea for a book was that it would be a reflection on the interface between Alaska politics and the Outside. That has always fascinated me since my first trip to Alaska in 1974. Most people Outside have no clue about what is going on in Alaska. And then of course, she came back to Alaska and clearly had no interest in being governor anymore – none – she absolutely hated it. She’d seen the lights of the big city and wasn’t going to be kept down on the farm. So the book changed because her position in American political discourse changed. She became a national icon and she has stayed a national icon.

Gryphen: Did you find it easy to locate people in Alaska who were willing to go on the record about Sarah Palin?

Dunn: Nothing was “easy” about this book. Nothing. You know, Michael Paul Gross came to Alaska and said that no one would speak to him on the record. Ditto with several other reporters. I built up trust over two years with several people and the vast majority went on-the-record with their comments. But nothing was easy. And the Palin supporters have always attacked anyone who goes on the record. Viciously.

Gryphen: Did you make contact with any of the Palins close friends or associates? If you did what were your impressions?

Dunn: Yes, of course I made contact with several people who were at one time close to the Palins, and some who still claimed to be close. All good people. But it’s a fascinating river of human carnage that have been thrown under the bus by Palin—from Wasilla to Juneau to the McCain campaign, and now, even to SarahPAC. And they all draw the same portrait of Sarah Palin – and a pretty portrait it is not. Next week there will be another book out by one of her closest supporters – someone who was one of her closest confidantes, Frank Bailey. And he draws the same portrait.

Gryphen: What shocking bit of information about Sarah most surprised you while researching this book?

Dunn: The fact that she clearly and openly betrayed John McCain during the 2008 campaign. Now you can say, well, of course, everyone knew that. But when I stepped back from my book and looked at the whole story, that really hit me: she openly and willfully betrayed John McCain in the middle of the campaign. Wow. Think about it.

Gryphen: There have been some allegations from a few readers who claim that your sources were lying. How do you answer such charges?

Dunn: I checked up on the stories that were told and got confirmation from others. And I will forever stand by my sources. But look, one doesn’t need to question their rendition of events. The most devastating revelations in my book are those that are unchallenged, for which Sarah Palin is herself the source. And the most ringing is Palin’s tone-deaf and morally bereft response to the shooting of Gabby Giffords and the killing of six innocent bystanders in Tucson. Watch that tape again. It’s a shameful moment in American history. Appalling. And the commentators I cite in response to Palin’s speech are Republican and conservative commentators, not liberal ones. Watching Palin’s response made me sick to my stomach. It still does. That’s why I call the Epilogue to my book, “Crosshairs.”

Let me also add this—whenever someone attacks Palin, the minions circle the wagons and attack the messenger. They’ve done it every time. It’s soooo predictable. And when you watch it enough, the Palin inner-circle takes on all the qualities of a cult. And these people are cultish in their behavior. If you read the Bailey book, one reading is that those in the inner-circle were like cult members. It required an unquestioning dedication to Palin. The all drank the Koo-Aid.

Gryphen: Did you have to pay anybody to get them to speak with you?

Dunn: That’s a joke. No one was paid. The fact that anyone would claim that is another Palin scam and lie. Add it to the list. And it’s a very long list. The only one who has ever made money off the Palin scam is Palin herself.

Gryphen: Did anybody you interviewed have only positive things to say about Sarah Palin? And if so did they appear impaired in some way?

Dunn: Two people I interviewed only had positive things to say about Palin. And I included their comments in the book. I would like to spend more time with each and push them on their perceptions. But I like them both very much. They like me. Or they did. And they probably think my book is too hard on her. Which is funny, because a few people have thought I was too easy on her. Which proves, for anyone considering writing yet another book on her, that you need to be true to yourself in the portrait you draw. You can’t worry what anyone else thinks. And I don’t.

Gryphen: Have you had any bad experiences with Palin supporters?

Dunn: Yes, plenty. They’re entitled to their opinions. But I don’t really give them any juice and I refuse to engage it. And I’m not going to here.

Gryphen: Joe McGinniss is also writing a book about Sarah Palin, are you friends or mortal foes?

Dunn: I have to chuckle at that. It was you and other Alaska bloggers who informally introduced me to Joe last summer, through mutual emails and the like. And we have struck up a friendship that has become very important in my life. We have many things in common and he has been a mentor to me. One thing is that I’m Italian (on my mother’s side) and I lived in Italy during the mid-1980s. And he wrote a great book about Italian soccer, The Miracle of Castel di Sangro. He speaks Italian and has an Italian sensibility. Who would have thought? Two writers with Irish names speaking Italian to one another. He is il mio fratello negro. I’ll let you figure out what it means. And I think in the end, our books will complement one another. And I am really looking forward to reading his book— though I simply will never embrace his passion for soccer. But the Palin sand box is big enough for plenty of shovels and pails. And I am sure there will be more.

Gryphen: Do you think Sarah Palin will run for President in 2012? If not, why not?

Dunn: You know, several of my friends in Alaska, from across the political spectrum, made bets with me that Palin would win the presidency in 2012. Well her response to Tucson put a major damper on that dream. And I still think I will collect on that bet. Because let me say this to all her supporters: Sarah Palin cannot win the American presidency. Ever. She’s hated now Outside as much as she is hated in Alaska. Here’s my favorite graph about Palin:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/13/fav-palin_n_725513.html

The numbers tell the tale. And what’s fascinating is that ever since the Katie Couric interview, her favorability rating has been in steady descent. It has never moved the other direction once. And since Tucson it has been in even sharper decline. So the question is, even with those numbers will she run?

All of a sudden the planets have once again aligned in her favor. Trump got thrown out of the race. Huckabee dropped out, which creates a huge hole for Palin. Gingrich has self-immolated. Romney is made of cardboard. Pawlenty of recycled cardboard. Palin is the only one with any charisma or juice.

 The Gallup poll indicated that she has the most name recognition of any candidate. I mean, how many people know who Mitch Daniels is? She will no doubt see this as a sign from God that a door has opened. Also.

The fact that she just sent out 400,000 letters to South Carolina this week indicates that she is still positioning herself for a run. She can’t win Iowa—she has no organization there—and she can’t win New Hampshire –where she is disliked by Republicans (see my book, wink)—but she can win in South Carolina, so if she enters the race there, well it’s a free for all, and with Huckabee out, well she can roll in the South…she plays to the Southern conservative evangelicals who have a real problem with a black president. And she is dynamic on the stump where she has a well-scripted speech that she can deliver to the throngs. So that’s a possible scenario where she winds up running. She is the anti-Obama. And she has a shot, albeit a long one, to win the Republican nomination. But the presidency? Never.

Gryphen: Do you intend to write more about Palin?

Dunn: Right now, like most Alaskans, I am suffering from Palin fatigue. She may be suffering from Palin fatigue, too. So I may or may not. I was at work on a book about Bohemian culture in American history when I started the Palin book and I have already returned to working on it. But I am also considering writing a similar book about Palin’s buddy Glen Beck called “Snake Oil Man.” A couple of people have come to me with stories about him and I view him as a malignancy in American political discourse. So, too, do most credible Republican operatives. They can’t stand him. He and Palin tap into the same dark American sinister underbelly of fear and hatred and racism that fuels their huckster politics. And, of course, they snicker all the way to the bank. Theirs is really a disgusting presence in American political history.

Thanks for your time Geoffrey.  You are a true journalist in the best sense of the word, and you have done a great service to your country with this book.  The more light we shine on Sarah Palin the easier it will be for people to see her for what she really is, a very dangerous fraud.

Oh, and before I forget, thank you for the kind words that you wrote about me in "The Lies of Sarah Palin: The Untold Story Behind Her Relentless Quest for Power."  I felt truly honored to be included among such an impressive cast of characters.

And folks, if you have not ordered Geoffrey's book, what are you waiting for?

As of this writing it is number two on the Amazon "Hot New Releases in Political People Biographies" section. But with your help we can make it number one, as well as in a number of other categories too.

95 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:46 AM

    The Miracle of Castel di Sangro.


    I loved this book! Looking forward to reading "the Lies".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:02 PM

    Thank you, Mr. Dunn, for exposing the Quitter. I thoroughly enjoyed reading "The Lies of Sarah Palin." Hopefully, there will be a second book because Sarah can't stop until she has totally annihilated herself and her family. I'd enjoy reading the Glenn Beck book too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:05 PM

    Good stuff. I can hardly wait to hear what the palinbots have to say about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:09 PM

    I agree that the most damning information comes from SP herself. When are her emails supposed to come out??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:12 PM

    Hey Gryph! Congrats on the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:13 PM

    Typo -- part of the following paragraph is repeated twice:

    Let me also add this—whenever someone attacks Palin, the minions circle the wagons and attack the messenger. They’ve done it every time. It’s soooo predictable. And when you watch it enough, the Palin inner-circle takes on all the qualities of a cult. And these people are cultish ***Palin, the minions circle the wagons and attack the messenger. They’ve done it every time. It’s soooo predictable. And when you watch it enough, the Palin inner-circle takes on all the qualities of a cult. And these people are cultish*** in their behavior. If you read the Bailey book, one reading is that those in the inner-circle were like cult members. It required an unquestioning dedication to Palin. The all drank the Koo-Aid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great interview! Thanks Gryphen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. laprofesora12:21 PM

    Gryphen:

    Do you have any idea why Dunn isn't promoting his book on TV? I was really looking forward to seeing "The Lies of Sarah Palin" exposed all over the airwaves.

    PS It's a great book, I'm so glad I ordered it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:21 PM

    Nice to have grammar check when the screacher from wasilla barely speaks English. I think the point is more important than some mere repeat error.

    Nice interview btw. She never fails to amaze.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See also Laura Novak's interview with the neonatalogist, who believes Hospital Trig is not a newborn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I see that there is a hiccup in one of Geoffrey's responses. However I am away from my computer right now and will have to fix it later.

    For the time being just imagine that it is such an important response that it needed to be said twice! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:28 PM

    Love the book, and am still in the Crosshairs Chapter. Lots of humor that made me chuckle out loud peppered throughout the book.

    Great interview Gryphen. It makes one understand where Mr. Dunn was coming from. We all have different reasons why this woman compels us to read about her. No other person has been so out of touch with her feeling who outright lies and still been given a voice by media as she has.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read the book on my Kindle the day it was released. Very good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:31 PM

    Thanks for this interview. Geoffrey's book is amazing. From the bottom of my heart I think him -- and all the others who've written on this topic -- for exposing her lies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:33 PM

    I had never heard of Sarah until the day she was introduced by McCain.

    As a retired senior executive of a Fortune 100 company, I have dealt with many executives that were in over their heads... the type of folks that get by on knowing right "buss words" and nothing else. People I call educated idiots or "empty suits".

    That introduction day, I also saw Sarah as a total empty suit trying to fill a position she was totally unqualified to handle.

    I watched her talk and thought.. McCain picking Sarah must be a joke.

    and when she said "and Todd has won four "iron dogs".. I knew it was a sick joke.

    The end of Sarah will not come fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous12:35 PM

    Funny, I thought I had re-read the sentence. Worth re-reading though, when you think that he is referring to her ignorant masses as belonging to a Kool-aid drinking cult.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ManxMamma12:36 PM

    I enjoyed the interview. Geoffrey should be getting more attention. Even though I am reading familiar scenarios, he's made it fresh and in some instances given me a different perception. And certainly a greater understanding to the behind the scenes work on a political campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous12:40 PM

    Especially enjoyed reading your blog today, Gryphen.

    I've already purchased and read Mr. Dunn's book and found it well written and researched. Being from Alaska, there was much I was aware of about Palin, but he provided more detail to some of the horrid things Palin was involved.

    I so hope his book hits the #1 mark. He and it deserve being there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous12:41 PM

    Excellent interview. One tiny spelling correction--in the section about the Tucson killings, you wrote site instead of cite. "And the commentators I site in response to Palin’s speech are Republican and conservative commentators, not liberal ones"

    I am almost finished reading the book and find it compelling and convincing. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous12:56 PM

    Excellent interview, Gryphen. I inhaled "The Lies" and Mr. Dunn has done the country and/or world a HUGE favor in exposing her for what she truly is.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjay in E MT12:56 PM

    I am enjoying reading "The Lies" on my Kindle - just got to the kudo's to the Alaska Bloggers (about 40% through).

    I also have the hard cover to highlight & comment in margins. A favorite to do on 2nd reading.

    Great book Geoffrey!

    ReplyDelete
  22. California Dreamin'1:02 PM

    I thoroughly enjoyed your book, too, Mr. Dunn! And yes, PLEASE write a book about Beck! He needs to be exposed for the fraud that he is, also too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous1:02 PM

    Nice interview! Thank you. Here is Father Sarducci on Glenn Beck, for your next book. You've prob seen it, but it's always worth another look. --Amy1

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous1:14 PM

    I'm about half way done with Dunn's book and love it. It is well researched, sources are cited, there is an index, etc....full of FACTS. Absolutely nothing like the Quitter Queen's works of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous1:18 PM

    Great interview! I will be buying the book.

    Yes, Mr. Dunn, please write a book about Glenn Beck. He does need to be exposed for the slimeball he is. I'm proud that my daugher-in-law and I protested the event when our idiot Mayor gave him the key to our fair city.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous1:21 PM

    Great interview, Gryphen.

    I read Mr Dunn's book, and it left me breathless. Very well done, well documented about this "dangerous woman" as Laura Chase (her first mayoral campaign mgr) said.

    It adds plenty to what we already know, and for that, I congratulate Geoffrey Dunn. However, I want to see some "lamestream media" coverage, if Mr. Dunn is up for that--publicity!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous1:30 PM

    I'm curious if Mr. Dunn was pressured to leave out information in the "Lies of Sarah Palin".

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous1:30 PM

    Yes...why can't Dunn get booked on The Daily Show or The Colbert Report. I would love to see that!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great interview. I'm sure the book is fair and true. Her supporters, however, have no interest in listening to the kid who tells them the emperor has no clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous1:40 PM

    Excellent book, thank you so much.

    OT - Track is married http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20496049,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous1:41 PM

    G, little typo

    I site


    should be

    I cite

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous1:47 PM

    excellent interview, very professional. you both came off as respectable. congratulations Mr. Dunn on No.2 I hope it makes it to number 1. As I am from Wasilla I have hoped for the truth to prevail,God Bless You Both. Typos don't bother me as long as one gets the point..

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous1:50 PM

    Wonder if this was another Palin shotgun wedding:

    http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20496049,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous1:50 PM

    Remember what happened to Glenn Beck, Saree's turn is next and it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous1:53 PM

    I received my book today, and I can NOT WAIT to read it!
    Great interview, Gryphen, and thank you yet again for your tenacity!
    JillinOH (or JillyG, can't ever remember who I am LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Marmashi1:53 PM

    I just got this hilarious e-mail from Alan Grayson on how dumb SP is.Is Sarah Palin "Profoundly Stupid"?
    ...
    From:
    Alan Grayson

    Yesterday Chris Matthews said, on the air, that Sarah Palin is “profoundly stupid.”

    Well that’s a little, I don’t know, kind of, maybe, a bit blunt.

    Matthews was trying to explain why Sarah Palin will never be President. The answer is obvious, I think. Everyone would rather have Tina Fey as President. Sarah Palin and Tina Fey are both very funny. The difference is that Tina Fey is intentionally funny.

    I have to say, though, Chris, that you could have made the point with a little more subtlety. For instance, you could have shown a drawing of Palin wearing a t-shirt saying “I’M WITH STUPID,” and an arrow pointing up.

    Or, Chris, if your show were as clever as Groucho Marx’s You Bet Your Life, you could have offered these ten additional reasons why Sarah Palin will never be President:

    (1) Palin doesn’t know who is buried in Grant’s Tomb.

    (2) Palin couldn’t tell you when the War of 1812 was fought.

    (3) Palin has no clue about the color of George Washington’s white horse.

    (4) Palin wonders on what day Latinos celebrate the Cinco de Mayo.

    (5) Palin isn’t sure what weighs more, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers.

    (6) Palin has no idea in what month the October Revolution took place.

    (7) Palin is baffled by the question of who came up with the Monroe Doctrine.

    (8) Palin would very much like to know who fought in the French and Indian War.

    (9) Palin is puzzled as to who wrote “The Autobiography of Malcolm X.”

    (10) Palin is at a loss regarding what were JFK’s initials.

    Well, one thing is for sure. Sarah Palin will never figure out how to get to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

    I’m not saying that Sarah Palin is dumb. But I’m not saying that she’s not.

    When Palin came to my district ten days before the 2010 election to inform Central Florida that I am a “jackwagon” (video here

    , with 11 views as I write this) – I thought to myself: “Wow, I didn’t realize that you could fit nine letters onto one palm.”

    Jonathan Swift once wrote: “When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him.” Sarah Palin, you’ll never be President of the United States. But at least you are the natural-born leader of that confederacy, now and forevermore.

    Courage,

    Alan Grayson

    https://secure.mydccc.org/o/30019/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=77


    Paid for and Authorized by the Committee to Elect Alan Grayson

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous1:58 PM

    Track and Britta are married:

    http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20496049,00.html

    As usual, People Magazine got exclusive and likely paid big bucks for the piece. Looks like baby might be on the way, also, too.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous2:04 PM

    Sarah Palin's eldest son, Track, 22, recently married his high school sweetheart, Britta Hanson, 21, in a small ceremony in Hatcher Pass, Alaska.

    BY LORENZO BENET AND SANDRA SOBIERAJ WESTFALL
    Thursday May 19, 2011 05:05 PM EDT

    http://www.people.com/people/
    article/0,,20496049,00.html


    In true Palin fashion, when's the baby due?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous2:04 PM

    If I had my own PAC, I'd buy enough copies of "The Lies of Sarah Palin"--as well as Frank Bailey's and Joe McGinniss' books when they're released--to punch them to the top of the bestseller lists.

    I make under $20K/year, though, so the best I can do is to purchase one brand new copy of each. And damn straight I'm doing that. Excellent and sobering read thus far, Mr. Dunn. I have to take it slowly to avoid giving myself nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous2:11 PM

    I hope that the quote in Italian was il mio fratello nero. "Negro" is spanish for "black;" "nero" is the Italian work for black.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous2:15 PM

    Track Palin MARRIED in a very quickie ceremony!

    And they are such a STUDIOUS couple!!

    See people online. What a happy family!

    Todd and Sarah are soooo in love!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous2:16 PM

    Thanks for the wedding links above! Sweet picture of Curtis Menards son Track in the People Magazine. As he gets older the resemblance is uncanny!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous2:22 PM

    Track is now an Army Reservist who spent a year deployed in Iraq with a Ft. Wainwright Stryker Brigade. He plans to study at the University of Alaska after the commercial fishing season.

    What's he been doing since his return from Iraq?
    Why would he wait to attend college unti September 2011?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous2:27 PM

    What a great interview--very well done. Thanks to both you and Mr. Dunn.

    Geoffrey Dunn: "I felt like I saw right through her from the get-go. I never felt, to steal a phrase from Gertrude Stein, like there was a there there."

    This comment in the interview spoke very loudly to me, as I felt the same thing when I first saw and heard her--nothing there, fluff, no substance, lack of brains, a mouthpiece, a total gimmick, a Barbie doll. As it turns out, that's exactly what she was/is. I suspected back then, that nothing but trouble would come from thrusting this obtuse female into the national political arena. McCain disgraced the nation when he allowed her to run with him.

    Can't wait to read the book, it's on its way. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous2:28 PM

    Track and Britta just got married in a rushed ceremony. Big wedding being planned for next winter, (after the baby is born?)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous2:28 PM

    I would like to see Dunn etal get some serious air time discussing their books as well, but it's the ol' "spiral of silence" again. She provides ratings (translated: $$) to MSM at this point. Hopefully when she declares, they will be summoned.

    ReplyDelete
  47. On the last thread someone mentioned Brad Hanson and Willow and I looked at photos and damn, that nose of hers looks like Brad. But then, couldn't her features be some recessive Native genes?

    Hate to think there is yet another father up there!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I was just reading on Joe McG's blog; in one of the comments, there is a link to people mag. which shows a picture of Track and his new bride.

    Gryphen, had you seen this outside wedding picture?

    ReplyDelete
  49. Anonymous2:34 PM

    I just got the book today from Amazon. Can't wait to read it. I despise the crazy woman.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anonymous2:34 PM

    I enjoyed reading your book Mr. Dunn.

    I hope it is a best seller.

    O.T. but Very Interesting. See

    http://www.lauranovakauthor.com/1/post/2011/05/sarah-palin-and-the-neonatologist-part-two-pow.html

    Very interesting conclusions about some well known pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous2:39 PM

    Excellent interview, Gryphen. You hit on many questions I most wanted answered. I bought the electronic edition and devoured it as soon as I downloaded. A lot was not new to me, but he managed to put anecdotes in a larger perspective and context. I found Dunn's writing compelling as well.

    I hope he does tackle Beck next. It seems a very natural follow-up, given both are in the same league of the most dangerous political hucksters. Limbaugh too, of course, but I think his star has dimmed quite a bit with his constant hateful and racist commentary over so many years.

    Thanks to you both for this interview. I hope, Gryphen you will also be able to do one with Bailey and McGinniss in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Anonymous2:51 PM

    I have just about finished reading "Lies" and it absolutely is worth the time and the money. If you have this book and haven't read it or if you haven't bought this book, what are you waiting for?


    Scorpie

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anonymous2:51 PM

    Sarah Palin's Son Track Gets Married!
    http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20496049,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  54. melissa2:59 PM

    Just read on Dlisted that Track just got married! Here's a link to the story...love the commentary he did on the wedding photo!

    http://dlisted.com/2011/05/19/theres-new-member-palin-family

    ReplyDelete
  55. Anonymous3:01 PM

    I have ordered his book and am waiting for it. Today? Tomorrow? Hurry up UPS!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Sharon_Too_Also3:03 PM

    Geoffrey Dunn,

    If you can go from spending all that time in the cesspool of Sarah Palin and then jump into the tar pit of Glenn Beck then, you sir, are super human. And you will surely need an exorcism when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Dinty3:03 PM

    @Anonymous 2:28

    Jesus, doesn't anybody in that family get married prior to getting pregnant? It's like instead of proposing they just get knocked up!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Anonymous3:08 PM

    Great interview, Gryph! I have almost finished Mr. Dunn's book. Even though I followed all the available media during the election, I was amazed to learn what went on "behind the scenes" with Sarah.

    This is a fantastic book! I do feel that there needs to be a lot of media attention given to it. Hopefully, this will come.

    And the book is not "old hat", we have NOT heard ALL of what Mr. Dunn tells us in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Okay gang, I edited some of the mistakes out. In my defense, I received those answers as you read them directly from Geoffrey in my e-mail. I simply cut and pasted them onto the blog.

    However I did read the responses before posting them and did NOT catch the mistakes, so there is certainly shared responsibility. And the blog is mine, therefore ultimately the responsibility is mine as well.

    I really appreciate the almost unanimous support the interview has received. I am not always comfortable in the role of interviewer, and it is very nice to receive such positive reinforcement for my efforts.

    Thank you very much for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Anonymous3:10 PM

    Hefty little wedding bonus from People magazine... probably the contract includes "exclusive" rights to the baby photos. The reality TV show will be in the autumn. Then a stint on Idol.

    The Palin/Heath clan sure do know how to sell themselves. Piper and Willow are 2nd class citizens in that bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Anonymous3:13 PM

    Dunn's book was wonderful!!!! Fun to see the AK blogs I have followed for years getting props too!

    ReplyDelete
  62. GoingBrogue3:22 PM

    Gryph, I'm sure you are already posting about it...but you should head over to dlisted.com and read the "statement" from the Palin fam about Track getting married today. It's funny.

    I see lots of folks are mentioning it, but dlisted is saying what everyone is thinking! (quickie ceremony on weekday afternoon, bride in a "slimming" outfit, etc)

    Wonder when their new adopted baby who happens to look a lot like Bristol's old face will surface?

    ReplyDelete
  63. Anonymous3:24 PM

    Great interview! If you do get any follow up, I wonder what Mr Dunn thinks of the media blackout of his book. Seriously, can the MSM be more obvious?

    ReplyDelete
  64. Anonymous3:27 PM

    Loved Geoffrey's book! His writing style is very smooth, full of cohesion, brings the reader in easily and creates such anticipation. I very was disappointed when I reached the end for like a good movie, you just want to engage in it a little bit longer. I will definitely be searching out other books by Geoffrey.

    And Gryph, thanks for the posting the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Anonymous3:59 PM

    Why is there no date given for the wedding announcement? Isn't that an important detail? What is it with these people and dates?

    ReplyDelete
  66. Anonymous4:14 PM

    I think if Sarah decides to run, Dunn's phone, among others, will be ringing off the hook for interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Anonymous4:16 PM

    Hey, Gryph! Back to your Dunn interview. His Italian....if I know mine, he has a great personality!

    I'm so glad you shared this with us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Irishgirl4:17 PM

    Thoroughly enjoyed the interview. I really loved the book. It cost me a fortune as I ordered priority shipping to Ireland - however it did arrive early in the morning the day after it was published. I had finished reading it by the following morning.

    This is a book I am not going to give away. I am going to reread it at my leisure. I will however recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Anonymous4:19 PM

    Gryphen, I could care less if Palin runs or not run for President. Like you and Geoffrey, I have Palin fatigue. The stupid psycho from Wasilla is overexposed. It's sickening and embarrassing how the media gives that idiot creditability.

    However, if Palin does run, it would be sweet VICTORY watching the GOP establishment expose the many skeletons in her closet, while shredding her to pieces. Hopefully, this American Nightmare and National Embarassment will be over.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Anonymous4:33 PM

    Oh, Gryph I forgot to ask. Did you ask Geoffrey why he hasn't been on any networks discussing the book? I'm curious to know why there is a media blackout when it comes to Geoffery's book.

    I realize the entertainment news media are too busy discussing Newt, Chump and Dumbass (Palin) as if they are important; it would be nice to see Geoffery on TV exposing the fraud Sarah Palin.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Anonymous4:43 PM

    You know, there's something very familiar about this whole thing. Having a surprise wedding on a weekday afternoon... The bride wearing a smart casual blazer from Dress Barn with a slimming black t-shirt from The Limited.... A bouquet covering any evidence.... I KNOW! This is just like the wedding my cousin had when she didn't want our abuelita finding out that she was 3-months knocked up! Ho tried to put a silencer on the shot gun! This is just like that.

    However, in this case, instead of worrying about an abuelita finding out, they're trying to keep it from the publicist who handles Bristol Palin's pro-abstinence speaking engagements.

    http://dlisted.com/2011
    /05/19/theres-new-member-
    palin-family

    ReplyDelete
  72. Anonymous4:45 PM

    Either the Palin's have the worst "publicist" in the world or they are all just delusional as hell. If they were smart they would have just did this in secret and made an announcement later on. "We have a baby on the way, but we've been married for a while now",it wouldn't look as obvious as a picture of them looking like they are going to dinner at Olive Garden, this pic SCREAMS shotgun wedding..duh!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Anonymous4:56 PM

    Funny comments from Dlisted article:

    I predict an "over the moon" announcement in 30 days or less, and than a "the baby was born premature" announcement in 7 months.

    Ohh. and the big party isn't in the summer when people can actually travel to Alaska, but 7-10months out. How convienient

    What girl does not dream about getting married on a Thursday afternoon wearing her favorite jeans and a black top I know I did...*rolls eyes*

    Maybe I'm fascinated with them like I'm fascinated with serial killers? Like, I wonder why they do what they do and how they get away with it for so long before anyone realizes what they're up to.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Well, as scary as it might be, it would also be highly entertaining for Palin to be the Republican nominee. Of course Obama would wipe the floor with her during any legitimate debate. So there wouldn't be any debates. The media would crucify her for that and the fact she'd never grant any interviews or appear on any shows except her buddies on Faux.

    But I predict if there is ANY truth to the Trig stuff or any other skeletons we don't already know about, (like a Todd love child), then she'll make noises but never commit to running. She likes that Faux paycheck too much and she can grift all she wants without actually running.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Anonymous5:32 PM

    You Guys, You are being too serious in "exposing" her. This in itself gives her credibility, just like how the "lamestreammedia" handles her. She is a charismatic media star who got her start in local politics. She will be used until she is no longer useful. Like Arnold. She will only be exposed when TPTB deem her no longer useful. You just give her value by attacking her. She is a pathetic woman, leave her alone.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Anonymous5:39 PM

    Another correction -
    The all drank the Koo-Aid.

    Think the conversation should read "They all drank the Kool-Aid."

    TIC here - the original kinda sounds like $P/'bot speak doesn't it?

    * * * * * *

    Now as for the book - will someone please pass me the "mylanta/pepto-bismol/alka seltzer" cocktail? Maybe throw in some Dramamine for the queasy-seasick type feeling I have also too. Thanks in advance.

    PMom_GA

    ReplyDelete
  77. Great interview, Jesse. I just wrote a post about it.

    Compared you to NPR's Terry Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Interesting interview! Thanks, Gryphen. It does make me more inclined to order the book. I hope there will be book reviews with more details soon.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Hey Gryph,

    Thanks for the interview w Geoff---nicely done! As soon as I check email and pay a couple of bills, I'm gonna download Dunn's book from Amazon. Plus, I think I'll send an email to both Jon Stewart's and Stephen Colbert's websites to suggest that they book Dunn on their shows Dunn to plug his book!
    I hope others will do the same.

    Also, too, while I'm in my spending mode here, I'm also gonna send a little scratch your way via Visa or Paypal. Your time and effort are worth a lot more, but thank goodness you haven't figured that out yet.

    Jeff

    P.S. Since $25 won't fill up your tank with gas, I hope you'll maybe have a couple of beers with a friend, and then tip your server generously, as I've heard you always do anyway. I hope others will join me in showing their appreciation, also too.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Olivia6:10 PM

    I am in the middle of the book and it is great. I don't have a lot of time to read each day and I am suffering from lack of sleep because it is hard to put down. Good Work!

    ReplyDelete
  81. Anonymous6:21 PM

    She won't run. She can't get the money behind her. TPTB have Obama where they want him, they don't need a loose cannon. She'll make noise and fire up her base, and they will use her as a steam vent. Until she is no longer useful. Her script has been written, she gets well-payed for it, and she will be used like the good political whore that she is.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Anonymous6:31 PM

    Good questions, good answers, nice job, G. But ya know it's work like this that dooms your chances of ever landing an anchor job on FOX

    ReplyDelete
  83. Anonymous6:47 PM

    Her followers will turn on her in a heartbeat if she doesn't tow the line of the fantasy that they have created. Her followers should be pitied, not attacked. They spend all day creating a myth that doesn't exist. Her hairdo, her outfits, her hand movements, everything is a sign that feeds into their delusional beliefs. They feed on each other and attack if someone deviates into reality. If she doesn't run there will be hell to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Anonymous7:28 PM

    Why doesn't Sarah communicate with her fans? Why does she lead them to guess? Why is there no substance to the worship? Elusiveness, like
    religion itself. Craft spins of make-believe inside ones head.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Anonymous7:31 PM

    Thanks Gryphen, for a great interview with a great man. It's nice to get to see how good authors, writing about the same subject, with books out around the same time, can become friends.
    I have it ordered and can't wait to read "the lies".
    I've been recommending it since I heard it was being written, and would love to see it succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Anonymous8:22 PM

    "As of this writing it is number two on the Amazon "Hot New Releases in Political People Biographies" section."

    Look again, Gryph..it's number one now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  87. Anonymous9:26 PM

    Hurry before it goes out of print. #6,322 at Amazon and falling like a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Anonymous10:39 PM

    It's a great book. Many, many, many thanks to both of you. You are truly heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  89. GoingBrogue10:47 PM

    Hi Mr. Dunn, like many others I am so grateful for your work. I only hope that your "Trignocistism" is rediagnosed as a flaming case of Trutherism once Palin's emails are released soon. If you'd like to be exposed quicker, have Gryphen cough on you. And by that I mean...read his featured BabyGate posts displayed in the upper right sidebar of the main Immoral Minority web site.

    When I heard your book was called "the LIES of Sarah Palin"...I admit, I thought you wouldn't ever finish it. I imagine you must have been forced to say "welllll...I'll just put in this ONE more lie". Then you wake up and fund the b@t$hit crazy charlatan has lied about THE WEATHER.


    I found your book to be incredibly engrossing, and that's really saying something considering it's about a subject I can't stand.

    ReplyDelete
  90. O/T
    The end is near. See http://captainandthomasine.blogspot.com
    for a thoughtful comment.

    ReplyDelete
  91. Anonymous6:30 AM

    The two of you could be brothers in that photo. I just love those smiles! As I read his responses, I couldn't help but think how articulate and intelligent Dunn is.

    ReplyDelete
  92. Anonymous9:30 AM

    It appears that Mr. Dunn's book does not deal with the potentially biggest lie of Sarah Palin, the details regarding the birth and parentage of Trig Palin. If that is the case, has Mr. Dunn explained why that subject was not included in his book? It seems like that should be included and analyzed given the significant questions that remain unresolved. Great blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  93. Anonymous9:46 AM

    Anon @ 4:33: "I'm curious to know why there is a media blackout when it comes to Geoffery's book."

    Is there a bombshell piece of information in it? If not, there's really no incentive for the media to cover it. Believe me, I say this as someone who would really love to see Sarah Palin go down, but it's simply not going to happen until some investigative reporter out there uncovers true criminal activity on her part OR she is taped/filmed doing or saying something shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  94. Anonymous6:55 PM

    Hey Palin... How's your daughter's extra chiney-thingy workin out fer ya? Heard Arnold is a free girly-man soon...likes the easy 'girls'... future facebook pals?

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.