Sunday, May 20, 2012

Here is your mental health break of the day. Featuring a story about Jackie Chan.

I know this is not a usual topic here, but I am a huge fan of Jackie Chan, and I thought this was a great anecdote.

It also reminds of an incident that happened when I first started training in martial arts.

My instructor was a twenty year old Chinese Kung fu protege from a very rural area of China, who had immigrated to America with his family, and who briefly settled in Alaska for reasons which were never really explained to me.

I have often described him as possibly the MOST moral person I have ever met.  (He was a Taoist, I think.) He refused to eat meat, never injured or killed anything (Not even a mosquito sucking his blood), and when he was insulted he bowed and thanked the person calling him names.

One day while we were training, a fly came in through one of the open basement windows, and he suddenly told me to stop.  I saw the fly and went to swat it, but he caught my arm, and wagged his finger in my face and said, "He has done you no harm. You must return the favor."

For the next several minutes he used quick hand movements to guide the fly back toward the window, never once touching it, until it had flown to safety. Afterward he beamed with pride over his accomplishment and we went right back to work.

Now just to provide contrast I should probably tell you the story of the concrete cinder block,

We found it on one of our bi-weekly runs, and he made me carry it the two miles back to the basement, where he hung it up with a heavy chain from the beam that ran the length of the room. It hung there for a number of days, until one day when he was attempting to explain how to focus one's Chi.

He was trying to explain it to me in his usual broken English, but I could barely understand what the hell he was trying to say, or how it related to my breathing. Suddenly he stopped and held up his finger, a sign to wait, and then walked over the the cinder block.

Suddenly, while standing in a very relaxed stance, his hand shot out and the cinder block exploded, not just broke, but EXPLODED. Afterward all that was left was one side of the block that the chain still managed to maintain in its grip.

You can bet I was suddenly VERY interested in Chi. (Just to answer the obvious question, yes I did manage to develop a comparatively pitiful ability to focus my internal energy, and NO I never was able to break a cinder block. I did break some boards and a brick or two, but the best I could do was to hit the block hard enough to make it swing. That, and render my hand unable to open for about two full days as well. It still aches on cold days.)

Anyhow when martial arts movies became popular I saw all of them, and I do mean ALL of them.

Many of them were quite horrible, but then I discovered Jackie Chan. Even a relatively bad Jackie Chan movie, and there ARE a few, is still a pretty great day at the movies, usually filled with plenty of humor and jaw dropping stunt work.

24 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:53 PM

    It doesn't indicate who the guy is, who is telling the Jackie Chan story...but if it ISN'T the guy from the superb "Awake" show, its his twin freaking brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The actor is Jason Isaacs, who you may also have seen in Mel Gibson's "The Patriot."

      By the way the movie he is talking about, "The Tuxedo," is NOT one of Jackie Chan's best movies by a long shot.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:07 PM

      Or you may have seen as Lucius Malfoy, Draco Malfoy's dad, in the Harry Potter movies (albeit with a long white-blonde wig...he looks completely different (and really good) without it).

      Delete
    3. Anonymous12:48 AM

      Jason also played a VERY impressive Captain Hook in the 2003 version of Peter Pan.

      Delete
  2. CJumper in San Jose4:15 PM

    My favorite remains The Last Dragon. Loved Crouching Tiger too, and once watched a Chuck Norris movie because his costar was a Briard related somehow to others I knew. (It was said he was really scared of the dog.)

    Gryphen, you are a physical type and seem to like music. Ever tried Taiko? There is some of the same focusing to be done, and you get to whomp up on things and yell. I'm no good at it, but enjoy the lessons.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPcvnbSEjsg

    ReplyDelete
  3. emrysa5:24 PM

    lol... yep gryphen, most people who know me don't even know... I love me some jackie chan. drunken master is still one of my fave movies... those fight scenes are freakin unreal, and this was before the days of camera tricks. that man is extremely talented, turned me on to the martial arts... martial arts makes ones realize that there is total truth in the phrase "mind over matter." it's not bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. emrysa6:03 PM

      I meant drunken master II!

      Delete
    2. One of the best Emrysa.

      Though I also enjoyed the first Drunken Master as well.

      Delete
    3. emrysa6:19 PM

      woot! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5qHxY_vX8o

      Delete
    4. emrysa6:26 PM

      same scene much better quality. lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb1yUMLHcUc

      Delete
    5. Ken Lo is Jackie's real life bodyguard. He is a student of TaeKwonDo.

      I also studied TaeKwonDo for a number of years

      I LOVED the kicks.

      Delete
    6. emrysa8:35 AM

      dam gryphen now you've got me looking up all these old scenes, lol... did not know that about ken lo, altho it doesn't surprise me cause he is a bad ass in his own right. funny tho, if there's one guy on the planet who shouldn't need a body guard it's jackie chan!

      Delete
    7. Actually Emrysa, Jackie would be the first to tell you he is NOT a fighter.

      He was trained in the Peking Opera school. His martial arts is about acting and stunts, NOT combat.

      By contrast Jet Li was trained in traditional Wu Shu and his martial art is about demonstration and showmanship, but also has a powerful combative element.

      I was trained as a fighter and the focus of my training was to quickly incapacitate an opponent.

      However I would imagine that Jackie Chan could easily defend himself against most assholes who bothered him, but why should he? After all he is a movie star.

      Delete
    8. emrysa7:31 PM

      yeah gryphen I think that really comes thru in his "roles" - chan is always the reluctant fighter.

      Delete
  4. emrysa5:29 PM

    just to add to my last post... I don't like "fight" movies or watching violence... so not interested in any of that. but the martial arts, are truely art, and people who can perform them well like jackie chan, well it's like watching ballet... graceful art, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:31 PM

    I can not claim to have studied but I have dabbled in Tai Chi so I have a glimmer of something that approaches comprehension.

    Re: Jackie Chan. Many years ago I saw a documentary about the scripting that went into just one scene and how he had to "unlearn" how to strike in order to "nearly strike" while making it look like the blow had hit its target. Truly a man who has learned discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:56 PM

    Gryph, that's just another "religion"! You hate religion! The chances of a man "exploding a cinderblock with his Chi" are as unlikely as a virgin birth! At least we know now that you do hold true to a certain faith and are not an Atheist. Both intrigued and a bit disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah except I was standing right there when he hit the cinder block.

      Not really a matter of faith on my part.

      Delete
  7. Not into Martial Arts and don't watch many movies.But,I was a Massage Therapists for a number of years,and did alot of "energy" work on clients.It took awhile,but I also learned to direct energy/chi flow. As long as something is made of natural material(pencil,etc),I can make it move.Knew a kid who wanted to be a magician that was showing me magic tricks one night when I was bartending,so I did my move the pencil "trick".He begged me to teach it to him,so I did.Not something I usually show or share with people,but he was a sweet kid and needed to know some "magic" is real and more then just a parlor trick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:46 AM

    .....Jason Isaacs.....*sigh*.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. An European viewpoint1:38 AM

    I also love Jackie Chan ever since I have discovered his movies - and I don't like watching martial arts as a rule (people who fly meters-high in slow-motion or spend their time hitting one another bore me to death).

    But his stunts are both funny and jaw-dropping ; it's like Buster Keaton in less romantic situations. Drunken Master is awesome - especially the final Miss Ho's style of fighting. Just yesterday I was explaining to my children the difference between "faked action" and "real action" in movies during dinner... with Jackie Chan as an example.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An European viewpoint1:42 AM

    I meant the original Drunken Master.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I watch professionals performing gymnastics, ballet, ice skating or martial arts, I am amazed at what the human body is capable of.

    Good post. And thanks to those who shared links to other Jackie Chan scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. emrysa7:29 PM

    here's another classic gryphen - the ladder fight! I mean dayum! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ9DJZAoq3g

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.