"I've thought this for months. If this election's just about the last four years, that's a muddy verdict. Bush was president during the financial meltdown. The Obama team has turned that around pretty well. The Clinton speech at the convention was very important in that way. How horrible was it four years ago? [Romney's] got to make it a referendum on the choice about the next four years."
Okay did that just happen? Did the guy who was SO smitten with Sarah Palin's Alaskan hospitality (Tits, legs, and ass.) that he helped foist her onto the McCain campaign, actually say something positive about the Obama administration?
Why yes he did.
Apparently Kristol tried to save face by going on and criticizing Obama as well, but the damage had already been done.
Okay so if the Republicans are forced to concede that the Obama administration has done a pretty good job of fixing the economy, all things considered, than exactly WHAT is the Mitt Romney selling point?
That he could do MORE in the next four years than the President can accomplish?
Well let's take a look at the record that the Romney campaign avoids like an appearance on The View, his time as Governor of Massachusetts.
This courtesy of the Huffington Post:
Mitt Romney was governor of Massachusetts from 2002 through 2006. So Massachuesettians know him best. This is what they think :
1. OBAMA HAS HUGE LEAD IN MASS. Romney Trails Obama by 28% in Mass.
2. LOWEST APPROVAL IN MASS. HISTORY. Romney left office with the lowest approval rating in state history 34%.
He was elected by a 5% margin and had a 66% approval rating after he was elected. And it wasn't because he was a Republican. Massachusetts had elected three Republicans Governors before Romney. All of those Republican left office with high approval ratings. In fact, William Weld was elected twice in 1990 and 1994 and left office after two terms with 70% approval rating, the highest in state history.
Why did the voters sour on Romney so quickly? Look at his record:
3. JOB CREATION FELL. Job creation fell from 37th to 47th during Romney's term.
1998-2002 = 37th
2002-2006 = 47th
A drop of 10 places in four years.
During his 4 year term, Romney only increased the number of jobs by 1% compared to 5% for the nation
4. THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE WORKING DECLINED. Between 2002-2006, the number of people working in Mass declined by 8,500, the only state to lose jobs. The rest of the country added 8 million jobs.
5. LOST MANUFACTURING JOBS. Romney lost 14% of the manufacturing jobs in the state, including 40,000 high paying manufacturing jobs.
6. PEOPLE LEFT MASS TO FIND WORK ELSEWHERE. A net 222,000 people moved out of Mass to seek employment else where, a loss of 3.5% of the work force.
Romney brags that unemployment dropped, but that's because the unemployed had moved out of the state.
7. WAGES DROPPED. Between 2002-2004, wages dropped 5%. Between 2002-2006, the median wage fell by $10 or 2%.
8. SHIPPED STATE JOBS OVERSEAS. Romney vetoed legislation that would have prohibited sending State jobs overseas and bared state contractors from sending jobs overseas. He even sent State Call Center Jobs overseas.
9. INCREASED DEBT. Romney had the largest increase in debt of any Governor in the country, increasing it by more than $2.6 billion. He even borrowed money to pay for ordinary operating costs such as highway repair and maintenence.
10. INCREASED GOVERNMENT COST FALL ON MIDDLE CLASS. Romney cuts taxes for the wealthy, while increasing hundreds of fees that fall mainly on the middle class.
(Links with the proof to support these statements can be found at the Huffpo link above.)
Okay so if even a conservative stalwart like Bill Kristol has to admit that President Obama has done an admirable job of fixing the economy, and Mitt Romeny's ONLY record in government shows that he was an abysmal failure, then why is there even a question as to WHO we should elect in 2012?
Answer: There isn't a question.
Early voting has started now folks, why delay?