Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sadly it looks like America's love affair with guns is unlikely to end anytime soon.

Courtesy of Science Daily:  

Despite growing up in a post-Columbine world, more young people plan on owning a gun than had them in their childhood homes, according to a national poll of more than 4,000 high school and college students conducted by Jennifer L. Lawless (American University) and Richard L. Fox (Loyola Marymount University). 

This finding suggests a possible reversal of a trend that pointed to decreasing gun ownership. More specifically, one-third of young people report growing up with a gun in the household. And 36 percent report being "very worried" about gun violence. Yet nearly 40 percent of respondents plan to own a gun when they have their own household, and an additional 20 percent are considering it.

You know they could pass a law tomorrow making it illegal to create any new movies or video games that glorify gun violence and it would not make a bit of difference going forward. The damage has already been done.

And the fact is that neither one of those two things is EVER going to happen.

And the reason why is because the all volunteer American military depends on these games and movies to indoctrinate our children into becoming a military fetishist, who spends hours a week fantasizing about being in combat and firing incredibly destructive weapons at enemy targets.

Don't believe me?

Well I have already shown you in an earlier post how the military has helped game designers make sure that the weapons in the games are accurate, where they serve as playable advertisements for later purchase when the child becomes an adult. (Or earlier, let's face it many of these kids today are substantially smarter than your average gun dealer.) In fact the military actually has their own video game, which they make available for free on a number of platforms. A game that will periodically ask the player if they are interested in enlisting, and even provide links to websites providing information on how to do so.

As for the movies? Well there is a very long standing agreement between the Pentagon and Hollywood that if you scratch my back, I will provide weaponry and military personnel to cover yours.

Courtesy of TV Tropes:

If you're American producer and you want to get some impressive combat scenes in your movie, you can call the Department of Defense (DoD) and ask for some of their fancy equipment. Plus any soldiers who happen to be free. As the examples show, Uncle Sam can be very generous to filmmakers and help you avert tropes like Artistic License - Military, Improperly Placed Firearms, and Just Plane Wrong. 

One reason for this is, if the film is positive about the military, it is good public relations, and thus the movie supports the mission. If the movie is really good — both a positive portrayal of the military and a box-office success — it may even be a boon for military recruiting. Indeed, the Navy stated that after the release of Top Gun, the number of young men enlisting with a desire to be Naval aviators went up by 500 percent. 

There's a catch — a Department of Defense project officer will keep an eagle eye on the script and production phases. If they don't like the portrayal of the military in your film, they will yank the co-operation.

So just put the idea of movies becoming less violent, or games using fewer assault weapons right out of your pretty little head. It's NOT going to happen. Essentially because despite all of the current rhetoric to the contrary the Right Wing, the government, and the military will never let it happen.

I actually DO think that some restrictions can be implemented, but first we have to stop allowing ourselves to be distracted by red herrings and obfuscation.

Guns DO kill people. And guns that have extended clips, and are sold by individuals who don't demand background checks,  kill a whole LOT of people.

We may not be able to stop all gun violence, but we can at least reduce the number of casualties. And for right now at least, I will take it.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:42 PM

    Ya know what, the new gun reform legislation is going to prevent these kids from owning the guns that they so desire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fromthediagonal5:07 PM

    From the bottom of my ancient, peace loving heart, I thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:20 PM

    I remember when they took Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Saturday morning cartoons off the air because they were too violent. They were funny because we knew better than to replicate it. NOW look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:58 PM

    It sure is the shits learning more and more everyday how our government REALLY works (undercover) in connection with everything - the war hungry Republicans party - and on and on!

    I hope President Obama is successful w/his gun control...but, I seriously have my doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:17 PM

    It's a wee bit creepy how there are sooooo many coincidences between batman, music artists, hollywood AND gun violence. There are EXACT similarities between the Aurora shooting, the London bombing, and even Sandy Hook with specific instances that occurred JUST BEFORE the tragic event.

    I know there are rumors of a govt agency practicing eugenics and even rumors that said agency sets the product lose on society.

    Makes me think of the conspiracies regarding all the major assassinations etc.

    I truly am starting to think there really are like a dozen mysterious people who rule the world. It IS strange how many secrets meetings and off happenings concern us, our President, other countries leaders and tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:40 PM

      Gryphen, I'm sorry but this column confuses me. I'm almost 54 and have never ever thought about shooting a gun and yes my husband owns several but I've never seen him shoot one. However I've been thinking about learning how to manage one. Not because of video games or what the military industrial complex promotes, but to keep me safe from my fellow man. The hatred, vitriol and stand your ground are really scaring me. I may have to learn to shoot only to protect myself from my fellow man and that is sad.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:29 AM

      I am also interested in learning how to handle a gun. I have been to the range with my ex who was in the military. I've shot a shot gun, a rifle, and a 9mm hand gun. I just feel that it doesn't hurt to know how to use one correctly and safely. Just as someone who doesn't need a car may need to know how to drive one. I don't know if I will ever get around to it but I've thought about it.

      I don't watch military movies or play violent videos. I'm from the Pac Man era LOL. Anyway I've thought about it because I can. Never been in trouble (knock on wood), so I don't see any reason why I couldn't own a gun if I wanted to. I guess if I was still with my military husband and exposed to that culture it would be more likely to happen.

      I'm looking at the chart where it says "percentage who are afraid of gun violence" and if you look down as to who isn't, it's male, white, republican. So there you have it.

      OT--Right here in Boston a little boy got shot in the stomach from a stray bullet on his way to choir practice!! The neighborhood he lives in is riddled with violence.
      http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/01/14/year-old-boy-shot-roxbury-recovering-pastor-says/FyzTUe9xLiXQGcPPrO1RtO/story.html

      Delete
  6. Chella3:32 AM

    Okay.

    Enough with blaming video game violence and what not for people of my generation wanting to own guns.

    I DID grow up post columbine. I was 13 when it happened, and I was the exact kind of kid the media said we should be afraid of because I would go out and shoot people. I was physically bullied on a daily basis, I had ZERO friends because I was to painfully shy to talk, and I dressed weird. All the armed security guards, and metal detectors they placed in my school did absolutely nothing to make me feel safer, because the abuse continued unabated and the teachers turned a blind eye to it.

    I escaped into books, movies, video games and especially music.

    When horrible things like this happen, society is always so quick to blame anything instead of looking to itself as a cause of the problem.

    Then Bowling for Columbine came out, and I never heard anything ring as true to the aftermath than what marylin manson said...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:09 AM

    Albuquerque.

    Damn.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.