Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Finally! My second Senator, and ONLY Democrat representing Alaskans in Washington, returns my e-mail on gun legislation.

After almost a month Senator Begich has issued a form letter response to the e-mail I sent him on the 20th of March. Here it is in its entirety.

Dear Mr. Griffin: 

Thank you for contacting me about Second Amendment rights. 

I believe we must do more to keep our families and communities safe. There is no simple solution, and while I know we disagree, I do not believe more restrictive gun laws will prevent criminals from committing acts of violence. I have always been and continue to be a strong defender of Second Amendment rights. 

I do believe common-sense improvements to our criminal background check system can help protect our families and communities. That's why I cosponsored S. 480, the National Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Reporting Improvement Act of 2013. 

S.480 clarifies the circumstances under which someone with a dangerous mental illness may not receive or possess firearms. The bill would apply to individuals who a federal court or other body finds to be a danger to themselves or others, are not competent to stand trial, are declared not guilty by reason of insanity, or who require involuntary treatment by a psychiatric hospital. It also allows these individuals to appeal for relief once they have recovered from their mental illness. S.480 does not apply to people who voluntarily admit themselves to a psychiatric hospital or are there only for observation. 

I have worked closely with the mental health community to ensure this bill keeps guns out the hands of dangerous people without stigmatizing those receiving treatment from a mental health professional. I am continuing to work on this legislation with people on all sides of the issue in order to strengthen the background check system. 

Thank you again for contacting me about this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future. 

Sincerely, 

Mark Begich U.S. Senator

Just so you know that National Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Reporting Improvement Act of 2013 that Begich is bragging about is some bullshit CYA legislation that he co-authored with Lindsey Graham.

Yes THAT Lindsey Graham!

I know, right?

The idea that a bill attempting to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill is going to have a significant impact on future massacres is absolutely ridiculous!

You know what Mark? I ACTUALLY DO work with the mental health community in Alaska, and I can tell you that they KNOW how unworkable a law like this is to implement, and most of them also know it would have virtually NO impact on the number of guns deaths in the country.

In fact I had a long talk with a doctor who focuses his practice on serving the mentally ill, and has been doing so for twenty five years. He is a lifelong hunter, AND gun enthusiast, and even HE said that any attempts to focus on the mentally ill is essentially worthless.

What he said was that increased background checks and laws that make it a criminal offense to allow a gun you purchase to be used in the commitment of a crime would have the largest impact, and I tend to agree with him.

By the way I would be negligent if  I did not point out how closely Mark's e-mail resembles the one I received from my Republican Senator, Lisa Murkwoski. An e-mail it should also be pointed out that I received only three days after I sent my original e-mail.

Believe me I am NO Murkowski supporter, but if I am going to receive a disappointing e-mail it is certainly nice to not to be left hanging for three weeks before receiving it.

Besides. I EXPECTED to be disappointed by Lisa, I had hoped for more from the Democrat that I worked so hard to help elect.


17 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:16 PM

    That letter is BS. The rhetorical appeals are weak and misleading. I am so angry at him. I want my years of voting, campaigning, and donating returned to me...time and money I will never get back. I'd sooner vote for Joe Miller than him ever again....at least with JM, you know the crazy and lying bastard. I thought Mark was different, really different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:54 PM

      I truly believe that there are very few people who can be given power and not have it go to their heads. ESPECIALLY when they are surrounded by like minded egomaniacs. He has succumbed to the power he thinks he has.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:00 AM

      that sounds like a great idea-vote for Joe Miller!!!! Begich is a good man and Alaska would be crazy to get rid of him over this one issue. Move on and look at all the good he has done and will do. Alaska is lucky to have this guy in office and could do a lot worse.

      Delete
  2. honeybabe3:24 PM

    hi gryph, i got the same letter and didn't like it any better and for the same reason. we just have to keep chipping away and don't let the .... get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:36 PM

    Our teabagger Congressman (Benishek R-MI) is eager to talk about mental health also. Note that their talk is big but it does not include actual plans to fund improvements in mental health care in this country. When Reagan was president the mental institutions closed. There is always a need for some custodial care for mentally ill people. They should not simply rot in prisons. Republicans in Congress and fellow travelers like Begich have to be ready to back up their rhetoric with money. And, if they were smart, they would acknowledge that, in addition to improved mental health care, this country needs good gun control legislation.
    Beaglemom

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the response I received from Begich after I contacted him about supporting ratification of the UN Arms Trade Treaty:
    ==============================
    Thank you for contacting me about the United Nations (UN) Small Arms Treaty. I strongly oppose this treaty, and I will vote against ratification if it comes before the Senate.

    As you know, the UN General Assembly recently approved the Small Arms Treaty, which would regulate international arms trade. In the United States, all treaties must be approved by the Senate by a two-thirds vote. I will strongly oppose the Small Arms Treaty should it come before the Senate for ratification because it limits the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans. I am a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, and I am committed to defending the right to bear arms. I will continue to work to ensure that responsible firearm ownership is protected.

    Thank you again for contacting me about the UN Small Arms Treaty. Please continue to stay in touch with your thoughts and concerns.
    =========================

    Very disappointed, both that he hasn't read the treaty well enough to understand it does not infringe on 2nd amendment rights, and that he's so proud of his NRA membership.

    I'm also disappointed that he failed to address one of my points, which is that mental health funding would be greatly enhanced by adding a ten percent surcharge to the retail price of all firearms and ammunition sold in the US, with the proceeds going to state departments of health and social services.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olivia3:50 PM

    What he really wrote...

    Thank you again(NOT!) for contacting me about this important issue. Please do not contact me again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:44 PM

    If I see or hear "common sense" one more time.....

    They have none.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:46 PM

    What percentage of the NRA membership and management are undiagnosed certifiable mental patients? Let's start with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first sentence says it all - 2nd amendment rights.

    Guns are more important than children is what those second amendment rights mean. The Senators do not care about other people's children.

    And no matter WHAT Begich says - it is most likely he will lose in 2014 - no President to hang on to & few democrats interested in supporting him, given that he doesn't support them in congress. He can love guns to death & the GOPers will still vote for Miller - or whoever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:20 PM

    Mark Begich Robot writes back to all those that take time to write to him. Bleep, Bleep, robot says what you might want to hear, bleep bleep.

    Bye, Bye Begich.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:40 PM

    Murkowski Comes Out Against Manchin-Toomey Bill

    Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) announced Tuesday night she won't support the Manchin-Toomey background checks legislation, a blow to the bill's prospects of securing the necessary 60 votes to pass. A vote on the measure is expected Wednesday afternoon.

    Murkowski's full statement below:

    WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator Lisa Murkowski today decided that she will not be supporting the Manchin-Toomey gun legislation and will instead support an alternative amendment proposed by Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA):

    “Law-abiding Alaskans have been watching the Senate debate gun legislation closely, because they want to keep Americans safe as much as anyone but don’t believe they need to sacrifice their 2nd Amendment rights to get there.

    “We all agree that we want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and mentally unstable, but there’s a number of paths to the same destination. A lot of attention has been paid to the Manchin-Toomey amendment, but an alternative has been presented by Senator Charles Grassley, my Republican colleague from Iowa. I believe his legislation is more in line with Alaska, because it accomplishes our shared goals without adding any new steps or layers of bureaucracy for any law-abiding Alaskan who wants to purchase a firearm for sport or protection.

    “I support Senator Grassley’s substitute amendment because it strengthens the existing background check process, enforces our already-tough federal laws on the books, works harder to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, addresses gun trafficking and straw purchasing, and ensures our schools are as safe as possible.

    “I hear Alaskans clearly – and I hear their calls for action and answers to violence. I will continue to fight for their rights as well as the lives of their loved ones.”

    “Law-abiding Alaskans have been watching the Senate debate gun legislation closely, because they want to keep Americans safe as much as anyone but don’t believe they need to sacrifice their 2nd Amendment rights to get there.

    “We all agree that we want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and mentally unstable, but there’s a number of paths to the same destination. A lot of attention has been paid to the Manchin-Toomey amendment, but an alternative has been presented by Senator Charles Grassley, my Republican colleague from Iowa. I believe his legislation is more in line with Alaska, because it accomplishes our shared goals without adding any new steps or layers of bureaucracy for any law-abiding Alaskan who wants to purchase a firearm for sport or protection.

    “I support Senator Grassley’s substitute amendment because it strengthens the existing background check process, enforces our already-tough federal laws on the books, works harder to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, addresses gun trafficking and straw purchasing, and ensures our schools are as safe as possible.

    “I hear Alaskans clearly – and I hear their calls for action and answers to violence. I will continue to fight for their rights as well as the lives of their loved ones.”

    http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/murkowski-comes-out-against-manchin-toomey-bill

    ReplyDelete
  11. And, He sold you down the river on the back of bribes...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:31 PM

    Bye, Bye Begich!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I received the same letter from Mark - today! What a coincidence...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:17 AM

    He had to vote that way because of all the dumbshit Alaskan voters - sad becuase you know how he really wants to vote but can't

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.