Monday, April 01, 2013

The many victims of rape.

I read this heartbreaking story the other day in the Alaska Dispatch and thought it was incredibly powerful and something that needed to be shared, I suggest you sit down for this:

In 2001, my identical twin, Cara, was raped by Edgardo Hernandez, a stranger, when we were 24. It was a violent act that destroyed her. And then it almost destroyed me. 

After her rape, Cara took drugs in quantities that would prove to be lethal, doses she felt she needed to help her forget. She died from an overdose of heroin laced with fentanyl, a pain medication, on June 13, 2006. And even though her death was an accident, no one who knew Cara doubts that Hernandez, though he didn’t murder her, took her life nonetheless. It just took four years, seven months and 26 days. 

Cara said it best from the witness stand during her rapist’s sentencing: “Edgardo Hernandez is the worst kind of thief. He did not steal my wedding rings, yet my marriage has dissolved. He did not take my legs, yet for over a year I was afraid to leave my house, to walk around in broad daylight. October 18, 2001, was the day I died.” 

My sister died from a rape. She is that rape’s core victim, but she is not its only victim. 

“I’m not the same,” my sister often said after her rape, “but you want me to be.” Sometimes she said this so forcefully that I was frightened. But she was right. There was a Cara before and a Cara after. Her body became marked with piercings and covered with tattoos — Cara’s effort to reclaim control over it. 

This isn’t easy to admit, but when Cara was learning to navigate the world as a changed woman, I pleaded with her to move on. I was uncomfortable. I found myself replacing the word “rape” with the word “attack,” sanitizing the truth. But rape gains power in the shadows. Cara said we must never look away. 

What will I tell my daughter when she is old enough to ask about Cara’s rape and death? 

One thing I will tell her is this: When you hear or see a story about rape or read a statistic about sexual violence against women, multiply the number of people harmed. Be conservative, if you must. Assume that two other women loved or depended on each woman or girl who was violated. So, for one rape, three are injured. And one in three women are assaulted worldwide. So, what’s that?

Three in three women are harmed.

As much as I like to consider myself pretty tough customer I will admit that this story had me in tears after only a few paragraphs in.

Like, I am sure, most of you, I also have loved ones who were sexually abused, or raped, and I can attest to the long term devastating effects that it has on them, often for the rest of their lives.

I can also attest to the damage that it does to the relationships they have with those who love them. The truth is that sometimes you cannot love them enough to fill in the spaces where they are empty, and in trying to do so you feel like a failure, inadequate.

When somebody rapes you they don't simply have sex with you against your will, they steal from you your sense of control and your ability to feel safe in the world. That is not something which can be given back, it has to be reformed from within.

It takes a very strong person to learn to deal with the after effects of this kind of intimate attack on your person, but it also takes somebody equally strong to love you when you may no longer be able to love yourself.

P.S. Do yourself a favor and read the rest of the article at the Dispatch. I only borrowed a portion, but all of it is worthy of your time.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:44 AM

    Ashley Judd was raped by her own party.

    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/04/01/how-kentucky-democrats-duped-the-msm-and-helped-elbow-out-ashley-judd.html

    Oooh, that must fry the Alaska blogger's ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:05 AM

      Anon 4:44, not sure what your drift is, but you are vile and piggish.

      Delete
    2. Leland8:18 AM

      Interesting comment, 5:05. Care to comment again now that Gryph has posted an article stating the same thing?

      And I would also like to hear an explanation of what you meant by "vile and piggish" since all - with the exception of the last line - that was done was the posting of a site.

      And, frankly, if I were Gryphen, I, WOULD be fried about it!

      Delete
    3. Anonymous9:13 AM

      please quit minimizing the horrific crime of rape by comparing it to some stupid political happening.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:04 AM

    You know what, the Tea Party philosophy has really affected my world-view. While this story grips me in heartache, I can also cynically think that the other side would just be angry at the victim.

    Angry for not shaking it off, and for taking drugs and drinking and attempting suicide. Life handed her lemons, why doesn't she make lemonade?

    And I hate that devil's advocate (ironic) thinking. Wow, I'll bet Sharon Angle, Todd Akin, Richard Mourdock, Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.,) Sarah Palin think if "only she had gotten pregnant, she could live for the 'joy' of life that God intended" with a loser of a man's crime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:06 AM

      A recent episode of Law & Order SVU was a case of a woman who was stalked and raped by a co-worker. Because she had been unable to get pregnant during her marriage, which ended partially due to her inability to have children, she thought she could never get pregnant. So when she found she was pregnant from the rape she eventually decided to keep the baby because she felt it might be her only chance to ever be a mother.

      The rapist was not convicted of her rape in the trial. Once the baby was born he sued for custody of the child because the woman had been unable to keep her job, or any job, due to emotional problems stemming from the rape. He did not win full custody but was granted by the courts 2 hr monitored visitations every week.

      This story shows how this woman “did the right thing” and did not get an abortion, chose to make lemonade by keeping the baby and still got repeatedly re-raped every week, because this man got visitation rights with her baby. No surprise that in the story the woman left the country to try to keep this rapist out of her life. Talk about a system set up to totally, and repeatedly, screw women.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:19 AM

    "they steal from you your sense of control and your ability to feel safe in the world"

    In fact, feeling safe in the world just doesn't exist for women. We are told and we figure out the places and times that aren't safe. Because we don't want to be raped. And because we know all too well that if we are raped, many, many people will decide that the rape was because of where we were, what we were wearing, that we sipped the drink with the date-rape drug, that we are just SLUTS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:23 AM

    Thank you for being a voice for many causes that get dismissed far too often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:41 AM

    before, during, and after rape you are forced mentally to a place where you must decide that very second and every second thereafter what you will do to stay alive. it is like a nuclear explosion in your psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:06 AM

    Here a newspaper report about the sentencing of the rapist mentioned in this story. Edgardo Hernandez is prime example of why domestic violence perpetrators need to be locked up.

    www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031003/NEWS01/310039960&cid=sitesearch

    "Prosecutor Elizabeth Dineen recommended a sentence of 95 to 120 years so "this man should never, ever walk among us again."

    Hernandez's prior criminal record included convictions for domestic assault and battery, assault and battery on a police officer, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. Six women took out restraining orders against him between 1993 and 2000, according to court records."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leland8:28 AM

    Another example of proof that ape is not about sex, but power and control.

    Sickening. Sickening and sad. I have to agree with the prosecutor and the judge.

    Just one question: Why the HELL was he still out and about?! With this pig's record he SHOULD have been locked up LONG ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:20 PM

    I can so relate to the loss of safety although what I survived was not rape by a stranger. When my perpetrator died it was the first time in years I could leave my house without watching my back or brace myself if something happen when I started my car after calculated automotive mechanical sabbotage.

    My two cents as a survivor is that humans practice denial and blame the victim subconsciously to maintain their own psychological safety. Like people need to believe a 'dangerous' person or cunning psychopath will look dangerous...or rapists will look sleezy or like a creepy Charles Manson.

    What seperates rapists and abusers is that saying NO, is the thing that ramps up their sick power and control mental illness, excites them and will trigger escalation of violence.

    As a victim, no words can describe the sheering emotional anguish post fighting for your life to be told "he did it because you let him" instead of...he's a sick SOB. I won't ever be the same and can still mourn for when the simplest task was a safe thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:10 PM

    Does the sticker on the woman's mouth say "forcible rape" -- wasn't that the same phraseology that got Paul Ryan in trouble? Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anita Winecooler6:11 PM

    "Rape gains power in the shadows" was the line that resonated most for me. We, as a society, need to do more to help the victims of rape. When I hear politicians say it's "God's will", "Legitimate" and other fables like "the female body has a mechanism to shut it (fertility) down"- it makes my skin crawl.
    Some choose alcohol, drugs, self cutting and morbid obesity to stuff down their feelings, and some somehow find a way to cope, but they're never they're never the same.

    I can't imagine the grief of their mother and that of Christa, her identical twin. There's a bond between twins that can't be explained.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What the F! politics has no place in this very very horrific story of a young lady being raped and ultimately killed by the same man. Period end of story!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.