Thursday, February 06, 2014

Is the label "Liberal" once again in vogue? It may soon be. Update!

The Atlantic explains why the term "liberal" was once highly respected and how that changed:  

It wasn’t always this way. In the first half of the 20th century, “liberal” enjoyed a certain prestige. When Franklin Roosevelt began using it to describe the ideology of the New Deal, for instance, small-government types accused him of linguistic theft, claiming that since the expansion of state power threatened liberty, they—and not the New Dealers—were the true liberals. 

But by the 1960s, the American right had stopped claiming “liberal” and begun demonizing it. Over the next two decades, being a liberal came to mean letting criminals terrorize America’s cities, hippies undermine traditional morality, and communists menace the world. It meant, in other words, too much liberty for the wrong kind of people. Fearful of its negative connotations, Democratic politicians began disassociating themselves from the term, and as the Obama interview showed, they still do. 

But that political logic may be out of date. “Liberal” became a dirty word at a time of soaring crime, when Democrats came under attack for allegedly prioritizing the rights of criminals over the safety of everyone else. Today, crime has dropped so dramatically that even prominent Republicans advocate less punitive sentencing. The decline of “liberal” into epithet status also coincided with a cultural revolt, especially on sexual issues like abortion and gay rights, which frightened many middle-aged Americans. But today, the people demanding greater cultural liberty—whether they be gay couples wanting to marry or individuals wanting to legally smoke pot—don’t seem nearly as radical. Finally, “liberal” grew associated with weakness during a humiliating phase in American foreign policy: when America’s defeat in Vietnam and the Iran hostage crisis dealt painful blows to national pride. In the post-Iraq era, by contrast, Republican efforts to out-hawk Obama on foreign policy have utterly failed. 

“Liberal,” in other words, got its bad name because of a series of racial, sexual, and global bogeymen that don’t frighten Americans nearly as much anymore.

However all of that could change if only we have the courage to change it.

But there’s reason to believe that today, many Americans eschew the term not because they associate it with any particular unpopular attitudes or issue positions, but merely because they’ve only heard it discussed negatively. In a thought-provoking 2013 paper, Christopher Claassen, Patrick Tucker, and Steven S. Smith of Washington University in St. Louis note that although most Americans prefer the term “conservative,” those same Americans are “remarkably consistent” in telling researchers that they prefer liberal policies. How come? One reason may be that “conservative” has positive “extra-political” associations. To many Americans, it connotes “caution, restraint and respect for traditional values,” positive attributes irrespective of one’s views on specific policies. 

But even more important, Claassen, Tucker, and Smith suggest, may be the negative way in which “liberal” is publicly discussed. “When certain labels are emphasized or favored by political and media elites,” they write, “the public is more likely to identify with them than others. Public framing often promotes the term ‘conservative,’ while the term ‘liberal’ is used with much less frequency and has long had a more negative connotation.” Part of the reason Americans consider liberal an epithet, in other words, is because they mostly hear it used as an epithet.

If you have noticed I tend to favor the word liberal on this blog, over the more PC term "progressive."  And the reason for that is becasue I refuse to allow myself to be labeled by the conservatives who have this irritating way of creating language that everybody quickly adopts, and which never describes people like me fairly.

It is the same reason that I call myself an "Atheist" rather than an "agnostic." Sure calling myself an agnostic would offend fewer people and make me seem more acceptable, but it would be a inaccurate, and I don't pander to assholes.

So yes I am a liberal. Like most people I am somewhat too complex for that label to fit comfortably, but it describes my politics, my morality, and my feelings about personal freedom better than any other.

And I for one thing it is a beautiful thing to be called. ESPECIALLY when it is shouted at me by a raging homophobic, misogynistic, conservative jerkwad!

Update:

Yeah, what he said.

22 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:34 PM

    I consider myself a conservative....or I did till the Tea Party raised it's ugly head........now it's a no-brainer not to affiliate with these maroons........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:36 PM

      I hear ya. I'm registered independent and am fiscally conservative but more liberal regarding social issues. I vote the issues, not the candidate and I've yet to see one Teabagger that I'd vote for.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:52 PM

      Republicans have been against liberal social issues for decades. If you've been voting republican (not teabagger), you've been voting against those social issues.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous5:52 PM

      What exactly do you consider fiscally conservative? It seems to me historically democratic legislatures have been more fiscally responsible and delivered the needed social benefits to the American people. A quick google found this information. Maybe it's skewed toward a liberal slant. Please reply if you have any counterpoints.


      https://www.facebook.com/notes/americans-against-the-republican-party/which-party-historically-is-really-fiscally-conservative-resource/140988229250895

      http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/25/1150119/-The-Federal-Debt-and-Political-Parties

      Delete
  2. When I'm replying to a comment by a far right wing nut job, I always make it known I'm a proud liberal just so no one confuses me or associates me with a conservative. That usually screws up the conservatives knowing that I'm proud to be a liberal and nothing they throw back at me will bother me, only makes me even prouder to be one. Try it, but make sure you tell them it's because you don't want to be associated with conservatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:35 PM

      More and more I'm finding that bringing up Jesus gets rid of them.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:37 PM

      Then they just call you a libtard and walk away. That's their MO ya know...

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:31 PM

    This is magnificent speech from The West Wing was written by Lawrence O'Donnell

    http://www.chailife.com/wp-content/uploads/lawrence_odonnell.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:53 PM

    I just love it when conservatives scream that liberals are supposed to be tolerant and not judge. I'm sorry, but no liberal is going to be tolerant of intolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fromthediagonal2:39 PM

    I call myself a Progressive in total opposition to the Regressives runnning wild not only on the "Right", aka wrong and destructive side of politics, but on the wrong side of this Nation. I shall happily reclaim my "bleedin' heart Liberal" label when the regressives become conservative, as in conserving and protecting Mother Earth and Her resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:40 PM

      Had to laugh when I saw your "bleedin' heart Liberal". I get that a lot on HuffPo.

      Pat Padrnos

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2:52 PM

    Five years into Obama's presidency 44 percent of Americans still blame former President George W. Bush and the Republican Party for the country's economic woes, while 34 percent blame President Obama and Democrats, according to a CNN/ORC International poll released Thursday.

    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/06/cnn-poll-is-bush-still-to-blame-for-economy/

    Yeah, good luck with your presidential bid, Jeb, your brother kinda fucked it for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:55 PM

    Ol' Turtleface is on the skids, even the president has higher ratings than he does...in his HOME STATE!

    McConnell's Job Approval Rating Is Lower Than Obama's In Kentucky
    The Herald-Leader/WKYT Bluegross poll released Thursday evening found 32 percent of those surveyed said they approve of McConnell's job performance while 60 percent said they disapproved of the job the top Senate Republican has done. That rating is almost the same as Obama's approval rating in the state, which is 34 percent and his disapproval is about 60 percent.

    What's more, the poll found Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes (D) holds a small 4-point lead over McConnell in the Kentucky Senate race. The poll found Grimes with 46 percent support among Kentucky voters while McConnell has 42 percent support. That finding though is essentially within the poll's plus or minus 3-point margin of error.


    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/poll-lundergan-grimes-leads-mcconnell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:58 PM

    Too bad that Wendy just shot herself in the foot (to coin a phrase). What the hell is she thinking?

    Gun Control Group Calls Wendy Davis' Open Carry Support 'Dangerous'



    The gun control group Moms Demand Action on Thursday issued a statement calling Texas state Sen. Wendy Davis' (D) support of a "open carry" law "disappointing and dangerous."

    Davis, who is running for governor in Texas, has come out in favor of a proposed law that would allow licensed Texans to wear handguns on their hips in public. (The state already allows open-carry of rifles and shotguns.)

    "Davis’s position is disappointing and dangerous given that there is no federal or state requirement for background checks on private gun sales in Texas, making it easy for felons and other dangerous criminals, including domestic abusers, to get guns," Moms Demand Action founder Shannon Watts said in a statement.

    The group pointed out that Davis has said she supports having background checks at gun shows.

    "As a mother, as an elected official, and as a champion of survivors of domestic abuse victims, we expect State Senator Davis to do the same and close the background check loophole to protect Texas families," the statement said.

    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/wendy-davis-moms-demand-action

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:06 PM

    Sandra Fluke: Limbaugh Did Her a ‘Favor’ By Calling Her a ‘Slut’

    Sandra Fluke first gained national attention when Rush Limbaugh called her a “slut” on his radio show. During an appearance on MSNBC’s The Ed Show Thursday to discuss her bid for the California State Senate, Fluke agreed with Ed Schultz that Limbaugh may have actually done her a “favor” by bringing her that extra exposure.

    As a Georgetown University law student in 2012, Fluke was initially barred from testifying on contraception to an all-male Congressional panel by its Republican members before ultimately testifying to Democrats on the issue. She argued her school should have to include contraception in its health care coverage despite any moral objections it may have.

    Following Fluke’s testimony, Limbaugh called her a “slut” and a “prostitute” on his radio show, adding, “If we are going to pay for your contraceptives, and thus pay for you to have sex, we want something for it. We want you to post the videos online so we can all watch.” He later apologized to Fluke for his “insulting word choices.”

    “I think Limbaugh did you a favor by putting you out there like that and I hope you understand where I’m going on that,” Schultz told Fluke today. “I mean exposure is very important, people now look to you in a big, big way for leadership on some very pertinent issues.”

    “I agree with you that exposure is important,” Fluke said in response, “because it lets us shine a light on important issues we need to be talking about.”

    On the issue of a congressional run, which had previously discussed, versus the State Senate campaign she settled on, Fluke said she just wanted to go where she think can affect the most “progressive change.”

    Watch video below, via MSNBC:

    http://www.mediaite.com/tv/sandra-fluke-agrees-limbaugh-did-her-a-favor-by-calling-her-a-slut/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:13 PM

    Oops! What say you Mr. Ham?

    Archaeologists Carbon-Date Camel Bones, Discover Major Discrepancy In Bible Story

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/06/carbon-dated-camel-bones-bible_n_4737437.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:00 PM

    I agree completely with Lawrence O'Donnell. I am a proud liberal Democrat and I'm proud that both of my parents were liberal Democrats as well.
    Beaglemom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:14 PM

    I remember back in the '80s, St. Reagan at a press conference said, "There's two kinds of people: liberals and Americans.". That still pisses me off when I think about it. The older I got, the more moderate I got, until all these RWNJs started trying to drag the center farther and farther to the right and I decided to just as determinedly drag it back to the left, so I once again am proud to call myself a liberal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5:59 PM

    Proud liberal here. All of my friends know that I'm a bleeding heart liberal and I won't deny it. Funny thing is, I think it's okay to own a mink coat and/or a handgun. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anita Winecooler6:56 PM

    I was once your average run of the mill liberal, but would only divulge it if asked. Since the neo con rwnjb's, I introduce myself as a Proud Liberal for all the reasons LOD so eloquently points out, and besides, it confuses the nutjobs and nips problems in the bud..

    I have been tasked with firing a misogynist RWNJ on monday. I find no pleasure whatsoever in firing anyone, we all have families to support, etc etc etc. But this guy's work performance sucks, he's a dweeb and makes my skin crawl. I'm just going to stick to the fact that he hasn't been carrying his own weight, he's been warned four times and hasn't improved and it's not personal, it's just business.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:24 AM

    I never knew that I was a liberal until my very Christian ex-friend called me one. We were discussing abortion. I felt women should have rights over their bodies, and that abortion should exist. I maintained that if she and her peeps wanted to "help" they should take in all the unwanted children of the world and that would alleviate the pain and suffering instead of trying to prevent unwanted pregnancies. I was very naive back then and she called me a liberal. She said it in a way that was insulting. So I looked up the word liberal, and thought well, that's what I am. Just like raising up, we use to get called on what religion we were, and I'd run and ask my father and he'd say "heathen" so that's what I was. Ah, well.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.