Wednesday, March 26, 2014

We lose yet another teacher.


February 12, 2014 

I am writing today to let you know that I am resigning my position as PreK and Kindergarten teacher in the Cambridge Public Schools. It is with deep sadness that I have reached this decision, as I have loved my job, my school community, and the families and amazing and dedicated faculty I have been connected with throughout the district for the past eighteen years. I have always seen myself as a public school teacher, and fully intended to work until retirement in the public school system. Further, I am the product of public schools, and my son attended Cambridge Public Schools from PreK through Grade 12. I am and always have been a firm believer in quality public education. 

In this disturbing era of testing and data collection in the public schools, I have seen my career transformed into a job that no longer fits my understanding of how children learn and what a teacher ought to do in the classroom to build a healthy, safe, developmentally appropriate environment for learning for each of our children. I have experienced, over the past few years, the same mandates that all teachers in the district have experienced. I have watched as my job requirements swung away from a focus on the children, their individual learning styles, emotional needs, and their individual families, interests and strengths to a focus on testing, assessing, and scoring young children, thereby ramping up the academic demands and pressures on them. Each year, I have been required to spend more time attending classes and workshops to learn about new academic demands that smack of 1st and 2nd grade, instead of Kindergarten and PreK. I have needed to schedule and attend more and more meetings about increasingly extreme behaviors and emotional needs of children in my classroom; I recognize many of these behaviors as children shouting out to the adults in their world, “I can’t do this! Look at me! Know me! Help me! See me!” I have changed my practice over the years to allow the necessary time and focus for all the demands coming down from above. Each year there are more. Each year I have had less and less time to teach the children I love in the way I know best—and in the way child development experts recommend. I reached the place last year where I began to feel I was part of a broken system that was causing damage to those very children I was there to serve. 

I was trying to survive in a community of colleagues who were struggling to do the same: to adapt and survive, to continue to hold onto what we could, and to affirm what we believe to be quality teaching for an early childhood classroom. I began to feel a deep sense of loss of integrity. I felt my spirit, my passion as a teacher, slip away. I felt anger rise inside me. I felt I needed to survive by looking elsewhere and leaving the community I love so dearly. I did not feel I was leaving my job. I felt then and feel now that my job left me. 

It is with deep love and a broken heart that I write this letter. 

Sincerely, Suzi Sluyter

For the reason why this fine, dedicated professional felt the need to walk away from  a 25 year career, click here.

The level of training that was asked her, and the constant requirements to test even kindergarten children, essentially drained her to the point that she could no longer do the job that she loved so very much.

This is happening all over the country.

In other words the conservative goal of destroying public education in this country is succeeding.

And we should be ashamed of ourselves for letting it happen.

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:19 AM

    This is private school education:

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/26/virginia-school-reportedly-complains-8-year-old-girl-not-feminine-enough/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leland6:49 AM

    Until this happens in much larger numbers, they will simply say the resigning teacher couldn't cut it and decided to just quit. They will completely ignore the letter as just another crackpot unable to see what was needed.

    Yeah. Right.

    We here all believe we know what is needed.

    Step number 1: Get rid of vouchers so the money we are taxed for goes where the law specifies it should.

    Step number two: Get rid of the for-profit "thinkers" who are seemingly trying to destroy public education through thinking that makes students like manufactured products.

    Are we TRYING to make our students commit suicide as they do in Japan from the excess pressure? Seems that way to me.

    And if there is anything wrong with the public school system as it used to be, it is that TOO much information is being forced into them in too short a period of time.

    Now, to my way of thinking, the logic should be: Too much info? Not enough time? INCREASE THE TIME. Or reduce the amount being taught. I've seen some of the stuff being taught and it really seems a lot of is pretty unimportant.

    Then again, I'm just a taxpayer with no kids, so why should I complain, right? How many of you have heard that crappy, stupid line?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:01 AM

    I found this awhile ago and showed it to my mother a retired teacher for the learning disabled.
    Her comment was it does sound like the attitude towards educators in the US. Only profession that requires a university degree, but expected to work for minimum wage!!!


    "Are you sick of highly-paid teachers?

    Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do -- babysit!
    We can get that for less than minimum wage.

    That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and planning -- that equals 6-1/2 hours).
    So each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585 a day.
    However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.
    LET'S SEE....
    That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

    What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6-1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

    Wait a minute -- there's something wrong here! There sure is!
    The average teacher's salary (nationwide) is $50,000.

    $50,000/180 days = $277.77 per day / 30 students = $9.25 / 6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student -- a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!)

    WHAT A DEAL!!!!

    Make a teacher smile; re-post this to show appreciation for all educators."

    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/02/22/948224/-Are-you-sick-of-highly-paid-teachers?detail=email#

    ReplyDelete
  4. hedgewytch7:58 AM

    I am working very hard to get rid of the legacy of "no-child left behind", which like every other title the Republicans give a program, does exactly opposite of what the title suggests.
    Please support and engage your local school board members.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:01 AM

    I have a teacher friend in Ohio working to undo this testing nightmare the students and teachers find themselves in. She's been in the press there and even had a column in the Washington Post. There's a move on petition you can sign. I think it's state specific, but what if we can grow a movement?

    Here's the link: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/saner-standardized-testing.fb78?source=s.icn.fb&r_by=10243638

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a result of the de-professionalization of the teaching profession.

    Once you've eroded the trust and respect educator's used to be afforded, it is a short step to considering them nothing more than cashiers, beauticians or mechanics. And while you can require them to meet all sorts of degrees and credentialing, the public will still see them as greedy, lazy and due no more than minimum wage.

    I'm tired of the micromanaging, disrespect, undermining of my authority.

    I'll be retiring next year at age 60 to get my full retirement. They are going to pay me every penny I am owed. I worked for it. I contributed to my retirement and my healthcare. I'm not getting any free handouts. I earned them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:30 AM

    I gave up any hope of teaching 50 years ago.......after observing the lack of discipline at a rural high school......just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:55 PM

      My point being,this downhill slide wasn't just a recent phenomena.......

      Delete
  8. abbafan1:36 PM

    The dumbing down of America is in full swing. Take a good look around and see the evidence - neocon Christian influence, for-profit schools, harassment of educators, the list is endless. Then look at those who ridicule and detest the education system and see the end result - the palin spawn. 'Nuff said!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:01 PM

    Sorry, but I have to disagree with many of these posts. I am very sick of hearing about how little teachers make. I recently found a site that lists salaries for every person at all.schools here in Ohio. It was extremely eye opening. In our rural district first year teachers start at close to $40,000. Many teachers are.making over.$70,000. This is for 178 days of work, from 9:00 to 3:15. Our average classroom size is 22 kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much does the average white collar professional make with a master's degree and credentialing?

      Teachers average a 50 hour work week. They just don't do it all at school. They take their work home with them and do it on evenings and weekends.

      Teachers also have to pay for their own professional training out of their own pockets and do it on their own time.

      Let me guess. You think any high school graduate can teach.

      I could go on, but sometimes you just can't teach a pig to sing.

      Delete
  10. No teacher works 9:00 to 3:00 that is when school starts and stops. Their day is much, much longer.

    They also work weekends, often at night, and many still need another job to make ends meet.

    Trust me no teacher is getting rich and few make above a middle class income.

    Your ignorance demonstrates how little you understand this topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gryhen, I agree. I notice the URL for the salary list was not included. Show me the data so I can judge for myself

      Delete
    2. Anita Winecooler5:22 PM

      Agree

      Delete
  11. Anita Winecooler5:40 PM

    I'm not surprised reading some of these comments. There's so very much more to educating children than "babysitting". I have to wonder where, as a society, our priorities truly lie. We've slashed education funding, cut out head start programs, handed over our kids to business people looking to turn a profit (with little or no regard for their "clients"), we're giving people vouchers, diverting tax dollars meant for public schools to private/religious/others. We're losing great educators for the reasons this educator resigned.
    I worked closely with my kids teachers and have a teacher in my family. They pay for basic school supplies, food for the kids, coats, school bags, etc etc etc out of their own money. Add the burden of these idiotic tests and unnecessary "busy work", the teachers own continuing education, and I have to wonder what effect this will have years down the road.
    We already have cottage industries charging big bucks to tutor kids, prep them for tests, SAT's etc. I'd venture to say that the average sanitation worker makes more than teachers, And I say this with respect because there's dignity in all work, but we value trash removal more than our kids futures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6:27 PM

    dont knock private schools. Most are much better than public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. That's a myth promoted by the GOP.

      Delete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.