Thursday, July 10, 2014

In other news guess which show drew the largest global audience EVER for National Geographic.

Courtesy of Variety: 

“Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey,” which premiered this spring on Fox and National Geographic Channel and received an unprecedented rollout in 180 countries, has become the most-watched series ever for National Geographic Channel International. 

A whopping 135 million people — including 45 million in the U.S. — watched at least some of the 13-part science series, National Geographic Channel announced today. Overall, it aired on all 90 National Geographic Channels as well as 120 Fox-branded channels in 125 countries, making this the largest global launch ever for a television series. 

Its March 3 premiere Stateside attracted roughly 8.5 million viewers across 10 channels. In addition to the Fox broadcast network and National Geographic Channel, “Cosmos” aired on cablers FX, FXX, FXM, FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2, Nat Geo Wild, Nat Geo Mundo and FOX Life.

All I can say is that I hope this inspires other networks to create science programs of their own and put them on prime time, because I really think this country could really benefit from well done educational programs like "Cosmos."

Hey, and maybe Fox could stop focusing on making the country dumber through their Fox News channel, and instead focus on making more programs which make us all smarter.

Yes I know what you're thinking, "Then where would the Republicans find voters ignorant enough to vote for them?"

11 comments:

  1. Leland6:46 AM

    Now, doesn't that just break your little heart?

    If this could just be continued and the numbers for the US could match the overseas numbers, there MIGHT be a chance to stop these ignorant bastards in their tracks. Or at least SHUT THEIR DAMNED MOUTHS!

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally in MI6:58 AM

    Isn't that about 100 times the numbers for PityMe Palin's putrid offerings, none of which were shown overseas? HAHAHHAHAHa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:06 AM

    "In other news guess which show drew the largest global audience EVER"

    My guess would be either Sarah Palin's Alaska or Amazing America With Sarah Palin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:11 AM

    The show was spectacular, so I'm not surprised at all. It's just the loudmouthed right wingers who had a problem with it, and the media just pumps up the loud voices. I learned so much for the series, and so did everyone I know who watched it. It was hugely successful as families' eyes were opened to the wonders of the Universe. It makes me happy to know that so many millions agree with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randall7:27 AM

    I saw every episode, as I did the original back in the '80's.
    I found them both just brilliant.
    I was an avid fan of Carl Sagan and eagerly read each of his books.

    I wish there were more truth-based series on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hedgewytch7:54 AM

    I do believe the 30 years "experiment" this country has had with the Relgious Right is just about over. Between the take-over attempts of our Gov and our School systems, with the hatred and lack of empathy shown, and with the wholesale denial of anything scientific that threatens their ideology - they've finally pushed the rest of us over the edge. I do believe the next decade isn't going to be too kind to these types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:34 AM

      I do believe the 30 years "experiment" this country has had with the Relgious Right is just about over.

      Even though the RR has a majority on the can't-be-impeached Supreme Court?

      Delete
    2. Leland8:47 AM

      Some of those on the SCOTUS aren't going to last ten years! I'll bet we lose at least one before President Obama is out of office.

      What's going to be "fun" is if that DOES happen, the repubes are going to be busting their asses trying to deny ANY of his appointees.

      And if they DO that, it is going to be rather obvious what is happening and that will be just another nail in their coffin.

      I agree with hedgewytch. If things keep going as they are even, the YOUNG voters are only going to increase in numbers and since most of them seem to be heading into the liberal camp guess where that leads.

      Delete
  7. Cracklin Charlie9:59 AM

    I loved the new production of Cosmos!

    But have you seen what happens when Neil makes waffles?

    http://weknowmemes.com/2014/06/what-happens-when-neil-degrasse-tyson-makes-waffles/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anita Winecooler6:25 PM

    Give me more "Reality Based" programming over the scripted BS that has numbed the brains of a generation of kids. Shows like "Cosmos" are why I support PBS. I remember Carl Sagan's version, and this one did more than it's share of giving it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was on FX? I don't get the National Geographic channel and was forced to watch it on Fox. Had I known it was on FX I would have watched it there.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.