Friday, August 08, 2014

Why Atheists have every right to be angry.

Believe it  or not I have never considered myself to an angry Atheist.

I mean I get pissed off at some of the things done in the name of religion around the world, irritated at the fact that those identifying themselves as Christian get a kind of moral free pass, and frustrated that so many people allow themselves to be taken advantage of by religious leaders sometimes.

But I am not walking around with a chip on my shoulder just bruising for a fight.

Trust me I have been that guy, and I am quite a bit more calm, cool, and collected than I was in years past.

So I did not think that I would agree with too many of the points made by Greta Christina on her blog the other day.

But I was wrong.

Here take a look at some of her examples explaining why it is okay for Atheists to feel anger:

I'm angry that according to a recent Gallup poll, only 45 percent of Americans would vote for an atheist for President. 

I'm angry that it took until 1961 for atheists to be guaranteed the right to serve on juries, testify in court, or hold public office in every state in the country. 

I'm angry that almost half of Americans believe in creationism. And not a broad, "God had a hand in evolution" creationism, but a strict, young-earth, "God created man pretty much in his present form at one time within the last 10,000 years" creationism. 

I'm angry that women are dying of AIDS in Africa and South America because the Catholic Church has convinced them that using condoms makes baby Jesus cry. 

I'm angry that women are having septic abortions -- or are being forced to have unwanted children who they resent and mistreat -- because religious organizations have gotten laws passed making abortion illegal or inaccessible. 

I'm angry at preachers who tell women in their flock to submit to their husbands because it's the will of God, even when their husbands are beating them within an inch of their lives. 

I'm angry that so many parents and religious leaders terrorize children -- who (a) have brains that are hard-wired to trust adults and believe what they're told, and (b) are very literal-minded -- with vivid, traumatizing stories of eternal burning and torture to ensure that they'll be too frightened to even question religion.

There is more, much more, and I found myself agreeing with just about all of it. 

And do you know what? It made me a little bit angry.

It is incredibly hard to stand on the outside looking at a world at war over religious differences, at leaders who are directed by ancient religious teachings that have little or no value in the world today, and at the simple minded adherence to a faith that is based on misinformation and oft repeated lies.

You see we live in this world too. And the decisions of the magical thinkers, who often seek and attain important roles in our community, impact the rational among us as well.

And if we dare to disagree. If we dare to point out the obvious illogical thought process that went into the decision making, we are vilified and marginalized until our combined voices are less than the squeaking of a mouse.

That is why we must take our anger, take our frustration, take our bruised and battered psyches, and stand up for what we know is a right, and fight for an enlightened tomorrow.

We owe it to our country, we owe it to our children, and we owe it to ourselves.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:44 AM

    As a nonbeliever I simply feel pity for all believers; blind adherence to any belief is symptomatic of mental weakness and quite possible mental illness. Other than that, until their stupid laws or beliefs affect me personally, I could not care any less about what they do or believe.

    I ask but two things:
    Stay away from my front door and don't talk to me about your religion.

    I have empathy for those affected by the backwards tenets of religion but there is little I can do to change it. These things must progress on their own and the cult followers must evolve beyond this belief or be left behind as humanity marches forward. Humans are a relatively new species and we've just recently begun to enter our "enlightened age" and already we are seeing that the younger generation is not buying into this crap. There is hope, it may take some time, as all good things do. Don't lose faith...ha ha see what I did there ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think (heck, I KNOW) that you're referring to your faith in humanity, not in some fantasy. Wish I could share your faith but recorded history proves that human beings have ALWAYS believed in omnipotent beings. It's almost as if it's written in our DNA, and it takes real effort to dispense with those beliefs. But boy, is it worth it when we do!

      Delete
  2. Leland11:42 AM

    "I ask but two things:
    Stay away from my front door and don't talk to me about your religion."

    I might suggest one other thing to add to that list: Don't try to force your belief system on my government!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leland12:26 PM

      OPS! This should have been in the reply section of the posting by 10:44. Sorry.

      Delete
  3. Anita Winecooler4:48 PM

    Thanks for sharing her blog post. I never really considered myself as "angry", but in this context, "anger" isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most of the time, when speaking with other non believers, I rarely see anger, but when speaking to family and friends who are believers, there's a strong undercurrent of "how can they not believe? Do they know their souls will burn in hell? etc." My right wing evangelical aunt spends her life looking for sin and the bad in others, and she finds it everywhere, except when her own kids are concerned. It's an either / or proposition, either you believe in God or you're evil.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.