Monday, March 30, 2015

A replacement for Jon Stewart has been found.

Courtesy of The Verge:  

Comedy Central has found a new host for The Daily Show: Trevor Noah, a South African comedian who has appeared as a contributor to the show three times over the past year. According to The New York Times, Noah will be announced as Jon Stewart's replacement today. Noah may be a surprising choice, both as a lesser-known name and with respect to the wealth of regular talent on The Daily Show that Comedy Central is passing over, but as a standup comedian and a series contributor, Noah has consistently offered thoughtful perspectives on social issues and international news stories. He's also quite funny. 

A date has not yet been set for Stewart's departure or Noah's debut as host. "I’m thrilled for the show and for Trevor," Stewart says in a statement, according to the Times. "He’s a tremendous comic and talent that we’ve loved working with." 

With Noah heading to The Daily Show, both of Comedy Central's late night series will soon feature hosts who aren't white — all while the other big names in late night continue to face criticism over their lack of diversity. The Times asked Comedy Central about the possibility of choosing a woman as host, which the network says it considered. "We talked to women. We talked to men. We found in Trevor the best person for the job," Michele Ganeless, president of Comedy Central, tells the Times. Later, Ganeless describes why Noah was ultimately chosen: "He brings such a unique worldview and a deep understanding of human nature, which makes his comedy so insightful."

I actually have no yet formed an opinion as to whether Noah is up to the job or not as I have only seen his work on the show a handful of times.  However I have seen his comedy routine and he is incredibly funny.

But let's face it filling Jon Stewart's shoes is quite an undertaking for ANYBODY, so I am sure that  Noah is feeling both blessed and cursed at the same time.

Blessed that he has this wonderful opportunity, and cursed with the fact that he will forever be compared to a man who has reached legendary status in this country.

Oh well, I plan on continuing to be a loyal viewer. So unless Noah totally sucks ass he will have at least one set of eyes he can rely on.


21 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:43 PM

    Oh, No!! He looks like he's bla......h.....k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:16 PM

      To be perfectly honest, after the absolute beating President Obama has taken after the secret meeting the night of his initial inauguration, I welcome this!

      White Grandma

      Delete
  2. Dayumed im'grants takin' our jobs. Tried to warn you lib'ruls but you jus' don' listen too good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:40 PM

      Hey Liberal, VG has been AWOL at the pond-you ain't him, is you?

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:51 PM

      That's VG!
      His health issues are no laughing matter.
      Anyone that has lived it or knows someone.
      Sermon On The Mount, VG.
      There's your liberal.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:08 PM

    I tried The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore and while I enjoyed him on the Daily Show he just isn't Colbert. There will never be another Colbert and I'm pretty sure that I'll feel the same about the Daily Show without Stewart; there will never be another Jon Stewart. However, hopefully younger people will begin watching these shows since they aren't so committed to the originals, for me, however, I won't watch any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balzafiar6:07 PM

    I used to think Wilmore was good but have changed my mind; he's only good in small doses and can't carry the whole show. I will give Noah a chance and if he doesn't cut it, well I can always read a book.

    A thought: if we send him Sarah's dossier, he will have plenty of material to work from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my biggest problem with Wilmore is his entire show revolves around just one issue from the news and it's mostly a panel discussion. There is no "news" in it. No mocking or pointing out the hypocrisy of whoever. There are a few jabs but not much. The tea bags and keep it 100 coasters are wearing thin on me too.

      He's no Colbert. Then again, who is?

      As for the new guy, The Daily Show doesn't need a "comedian" who is "funny". They need a really smart buy that can zing the news and rub in some salt but in a pleasant way.

      I'm just waiting to be able to subscribe to HBOnow so I can watch John Oliver.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:20 PM

    Trevor Noah

    https://www.google.com/search?q=Trevor+Noah&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox#q=Trevor+Noah&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=vid

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:37 PM

    I like him, I think he's a good satirist, he's as good at keeping a straight face as Stephen Colbert.

    I watch The Nightly Show whenever I can. I'm nowhere near sick of looking at Larry Willmore's dimples and I like that he's prepared to take a stand, plus it's good seeing new people every night.

    Colbert deliberately killed his character and I'm going to wish Stephen well and not mourn Colbert.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:18 PM

      I will mourn them both.
      THAT was "must see TV."

      Delete
  7. WA Skeptic7:41 PM

    While I will miss Jon Stewart, and I hope this young man will "break a leg", I sure wish that Oliver was back on MSNBC. I don't get HBO and really miss his wit.
    With the upcoming election, I really miss Keith Olbermann. This 2016 cycle would be perfect for him, with the targets of Cruz and Trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly.

      2016 is coming and John Oliver is the only one on TV I trust to take on the establishment politicians.

      Colbert and Stewart will be sorely missed this coming election season.

      Delete
  8. cckids8:06 PM

    I like Larry Wilmore's show, I love that he gives voices to such a diverse group of people. And I really like his witty, more subtle humor. It isn't going to be Colbert's show, it is totally different. I think there isn't really enough time for a panel of 4 people, but they've been tweaking the show & it is improving.

    I'm looking forward to Noah's debut, I like Stewart, but I'm getting tired of his "both sides" BS. I'll continue to watch Trevor (isn't he just too gorgeous, BTW?) & see where he takes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:24 PM

      It pains me to own this, but I'll be watching Noah for no other reason than dirty animal lust. Okay, maybe I'll watch for 30% political/comedic content, the other 70 for dreamy superficial adolescent infatuation. He IS gorgeous.

      And that accent...

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:50 AM

      get help.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous2:54 AM

      The old ugly media hogs have purchased yet another person, station, corporation. Nice. own the air waves. And people pay for this controled un-American and Global garbage. How to sway the thought of the masses? Control the vote. brilliant !!!! but very bad bad bad. not good at all. nope.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous2:49 AM

    There is only one John Stewart. He is the only solution to very bad politicians

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:08 PM

    Although I dislike change a lot, I plan on giving him a fair try. I'll miss both Colbert and Stewart, but as long as no one tries to be them and their comedy is genuine, I'm fine with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least his name isn't "Jimmy". Or even "James".

      Delete
  11. Sorry.

    I'll miss Jon, I really will.

    I have no idea who this guy is. I've seen him on The Daily Show a few times and I'm not impressed.

    I've watched The Nightly Show a few times but it's not must see TV and certainly no Colbert Report.

    When this guy takes over The Daily Show there will be no reason for me to stay up late or record it to watch later.

    I'll watch The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, call it a night, and mourn the passing of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.