Wednesday, March 18, 2015

NFL player resigns in order to avoid long term brain injury from playing professional football.

Courtesy of ESPN:  

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies this past season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma. 

Borland, 24, said he notified the 49ers on Friday. He said he made his decision after consulting with family members, concussion researchers, friends and current and former teammates, as well as studying what is known about the relationship between football and neurodegenerative disease. 

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk." 

Borland becomes the most prominent NFL player to leave the game in his prime because of concerns about brain injuries. More than 70 former players have been diagnosed with progressive neurological disease after their deaths, and numerous studies have shown connections between the repetitive head trauma associated with football, brain damage and issues such as depression and memory loss.

"I feel largely the same, as sharp as I've ever been. For me, it's wanting to be proactive," Borland said. "I'm concerned that if you wait 'til you have symptoms, it's too late. ... There are a lot of unknowns. I can't claim that X will happen. I just want to live a long, healthy life, and I don't want to have any neurological diseases or die younger than I would otherwise."

I have to tell you that I am incredibly impressed with this young man. To walk away from that kind of money takes real guts.

And he's not wrong, there is more and more evidence everyday that even impacts that don't result in concussion can have long term negative effects on the brain

I occasionally get asked why I don't watch football, except of course the Superbowl, and this is one of the main reasons that I cite.

As an ex-martial arts fighter I also get asked about why I don't watch MMA matches, but to be honest I simply cannot sit through one because the minute I sees somebody striking another person with their elbows I just want to jump into the ring and stop them so that the poor son-of-a-bitch can someday still find his way around his own house.

Look I have taken more than my fair share of blows to the head and I can attest to the fact that it makes certain tasks much more challenging. I drop names all of the time, and have done so since I was in my early twenties.

It can be really frustrating, so I can certainly understand a young man who sees that coming in this future and chooses to avoid it.

I think this guy is a great example and by the way so do many of this teammates.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:52 AM

    I quit watching football when I saw Joe Theisman's leg get fractured during a game many years ago. Seeing a leg bend like that was too creepy for me. It is a ridiculously violent game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:02 AM

      Yikes, I remember that!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:01 AM

    GOOD FOR HIM. Even as better and safer gear become available, it seems the game has gotten more and more ruthless.

    If a grown adult wants to subject himself to the odds and risks, that's fine. But children can't make those informed decisions and I hate that they are allowed by ignorant parents, or even pushed by some, into playing at too early an age because they "need" to have an early start to be good.

    Yes, I have sons and I've been there.

    Mildred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:24 PM

      Yes, Mildred, proud of him too. I am good friends with the mother of Steve Gleason (New Orleans Saints) who has ALS and, even in his suffering, has used his plight to raise awareness, petition and speak to DC and the NFL, build care centers, co-instrumental in "The Ice Bucket Challenge" movement, and all while growing weaker every day. Check out teamgleason.org; I am in awe of people such as these.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:15 AM

    Actually MMA isn't as bad as boxing because there are no padded gloves, which allows boxers to repeatedly punch each other in the head for many more rounds than MMA fights usually go. Often MMA fights aren't won by knockout because fighters are able to use traditional wrestling moves to subdue opponents, whereas boxing they just keep punching and punching and punching until one is either rendered unconscious or time runs out and a decision happens.

    I'm not really defending MMA, because certainly there are a lot of head blows but they are much more infrequent than in boxing, at least, but this sport really hasn't been around long enough for medical professionals to accurately assess the damage over large range of fighters. There are some old ones, Joe Rogan and Dana White, who seem fine, but who knows in 20 years.

    I don't know how MMA compares to football as far as head injuries goes, but hey, men, and now women are gonna engage in these sports regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:20 AM

    O/T but as usual, the GOP's overreach on full drive doesn't move the needle.

    Email “Scandal” Falls Flat, As Hillary Still Holds Double Digit Lead Over Every Republican

    ...The poll pits Clinton against seven potential GOP rivals. The seven candidates are Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, Florida Senator Marco Rubio, Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, Kentucky Senator Rand Paul, Former neurosurgeon Ben Carson, and Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker. In each match-up, she leads by comfortable margins, between 11 and 16 percentage points, over her hypothetical opponent.

    The largest blowout comes versus Ben Carson, where Clinton leads 56-40 percent. The closest match-up is with Kentucky Senator Rand Paul, where Clinton has a smaller 54-43 advantage. Clinton holds a 55-40 lead over both Jeb Bush and Scott Walker. Based on current polling, Bush and Walker are the leading Republican candidates for the GOP nomination.

    The survey also finds Clinton continuing to hold a lopsided advantage over any potential Democratic challenger. In a field of eight potential Democratic candidates, Clinton secures a solid majority of the vote, polling at 62 percent.

    http://www.politicususa.com/2015/03/18/email-scandal-falls-flat.html

    And so much for the GOP not going after Obamacare...

    Republicans Unveil Their Plan To Take Health Care Away From 14-20 Million Americans

    ...A centerpiece of the House and Senate Republican budgets is a plan to take away health care from 14.3-20.5 million Americans.

    House and Senate Republicans plan to use two steps to take away health care from tens of millions of Americans. Step one is the repeal of the Affordable Care Act. Step two is the conversion of Medicaid funding into a block grant.

    The House budget has been analyzed in greater detail, but Senate Republicans have confirmed that their budget will contain similar language.

    The Center For Budget and Policy Priorities laid out the impact of this double fisted gut punch to the American people:

    http://www.politicususa.com/2015/03/18/republicans-unveil-plan-health-care-14-20-million-americans.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:39 AM

      Ol' Turtleface is having such a hissy fit.

      Senate Democrats Own Mitch McConnell By Blocking Human Trafficking Bill For Second Time

      Senate Democrats are not caving to Mitch McConnell’s pressure tactics. Democrats have blocked a human trafficking bill that contains controversial abortion language for a second straight day.

      http://www.politicususa.com/2015/03/18/senate-democrats-mitch-mcconnell-blocking-human-trafficking-bill-time.html

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:52 AM

      But on Tuesday, they let the cat out of the bag. These bills, it turns out, are essentially efforts to undermine Wall Street reform and Obamacare while greenlighting pollution.

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/18/house-republicans-budget_n_6894998.html

      Delete
  5. Who says athletes are dumb?

    Looks like this guy actually learned something in college besides football.

    Good for him.

    He's got a nest egg and now he can switch to another profession or career while he is still young and has a healthy head on his shoulders.

    I'm really not into sports that much. I enjoy watching ice skating and ballroom dancing but was never the football/baseball/basketball/soccer/golf sort of fan.

    I've also never felt the "team" mentality pull me towards blind devotion.

    I think the fanaticism that supports professional and amateur sports, especially the "ball" games, is of the same caliber as that in religion and politics. Some people are rational about it. Some people are just the "loyal teamies" and will hear no facts to contradict their worship.

    I cite the "fans" that beat a fan of the opposite team in Los Angeles so badly the man has brain damage and is paralyzed. Just because the guy was wearing a shirt from the other team.

    I mean, really. I see no difference between that and the religious wars going on right now.

    Or for that matter, the political obstruction in D.C.

    But at least our Congressmen haven't started to shoot members of the other party.

    Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:13 PM

    Good for him! However, can't wait for Palin to latch onto this and attempt to include the entire NFL in the "Puppy Jake" hot mess. "Send money for puppies for those brain-injured sports warriors!"

    She may be this very moment imagining blowing the Star Spangled Banner (with her flute) as she fancy-pageant-walks her way down the field at next year's SuperBowl half-time show.

    Wild Tortoise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Football is much too violent for my taste. I have grown to hate the sport because of that and I'd never let a child of mine play football today. I am a sports fan but I'll stick to baseball, basketball and downhill skiing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:00 PM

      Downhill skiing is dangerous as well but usually kills you outright rather than suffering long term brain injury.

      Exhibit A: Sonny Bono
      Exhibit B: Natasha Richardson

      Delete
    2. There's a big difference between dangerous and violent.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous1:44 PM

    This guy is one smart football player! I wish him good fortune in his future.
    Beaglemom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:27 PM

    Add me to the "yay" column. This guy is setting a terrific example. It's not worth all the money they make if it ruins their heath. The Focus should go to Education, not sports.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.