Sunday, March 25, 2018

In perhaps the best news of the day the US Post Office honors Mr. Rogers with a stamp.

Courtesy of WLOX:

It was a beautiful day to honor Mister Rogers with a postage stamp. 

The U.S. Postal Service on Friday released a stamp featuring Fred Rogers, the gentle TV host who entertained and educated generations of preschoolers on "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood." 

The stamp pictures Rogers in his trademark cardigan along with King Friday, a puppet character from the show's Neighborhood of Make-Believe sketch. 

A dedication ceremony was held at the Pittsburgh studio where Rogers filmed his beloved PBS show, which aired between 1968 and 2001. Rogers died in 2003 at age 74. 

Among those attending were Rogers' widow, Joanne, and David Newell, who played Mr. McFeely, the deliveryman on "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood."

I can hardly wait to buy my Mr. Rogers stamps so that I can send a little love and tolerance out into the world.

I have actually been thinking about Mr. Rogers quite a bit recently and often wish that he were still around to help offset so much of the hatred and intolerance that we are seeing today.

But then again just imagine how thrilled he would be with the activism of the Parkland students.

By the way for those who are missing Fred Rogers as I am, there is a new documentary about him coming out on June 8th.

Here is the trailer.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:21 AM

    Henrietta Pussycat needs her own stamp too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:39 AM

    He was an ethical vegetarian, whereas bible-clutching Sarah Palin sees animals solely as future bloodied carcasses for her tribe of outlaw banshees she calls family. Which is likely why there is NO postage stamp of a former ½governor from a different decade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:51 AM

    I am SO going to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:47 AM

    Oh boy those so called christians are going to go nuts, wasn't he some liberal trying to teach children to be nice to each other?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm British and hadn't heard of this show until I read about Mr Rogers' death here on The Immoral Minority. So I went onto IMDB to have a look at the comments. And I must admit to becoming a bit teary-eyed. I have a young niece and three young nephews and I thought about them and their futures, and the people who will come into their orbits as adults. I'd never heard of the show or Mr Rogers, but they sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:10 AM

      “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'”

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9:04 AM

    I was in high school and heartbroken when he passed away. I was also afraid that we would find out it was all an act and we'd find out about his "dark side". It was such a joy and reassurance when people started sharing their personal memories of Mister Rogers. Each one was the embodiment of gentle kindness. Every story proved he was as lovely as I always believed he was. What you saw on the show was the man. Not a character. He means so much to people because there was no BS in him and kids are the best BS detectors. His sincerity was true. He was talking directly to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:14 AM

      In junior high, I always watched him after school as well as Sesame Street. Loved it all.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:58 PM

      10:14 AM - don't forget The Electric Company! PBS rocked education.

      Delete
  7. I'm British and I'd never heard of the show until reading about Mr Rogers' death on The Immoral Minority blog. So I went to IMDB to read the comments, and I must admit that I became a bit teary-eyed. Partly because I've got a young niece and three young nephews and I thought about their sense of self worth and how they will behave towards others when they grow up. And partly because I always tell people that the world is full of decency and courage and integrity, and that they should always be heartened by this if the ugliness in the world overwhelms them. From what I've read, Mr Rogers proves my point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:58 AM

    OR a MILLION Barack Obamas?!

    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/obama-envisions-creating-a-million-young-barack-obamas-during-speech-in-japan

    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/380193-obama-would-create-a-million-young-barack-obamas-if-he-could

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.