Sunday, September 17, 2006

Buddhism on the rise in America. Finally, a real religion of peace.

The return of the Bathroom Buddha.

Buddhism is growing apace in the United States, and an identifiably American Buddhism is emerging. Teaching centers and sanghas (communities of people who practice together) are spreading here as American-born leaders reframe ancient principles in contemporary Western terms.

Though the religion born in India has been in the US since the 19th century, the number of adherents rose by 170 percent between 1990 and 2000, according to the American Religious Identity Survey. An ARIS estimate puts the total in 2004 at 1.5 million, while others have estimated twice that. "The 1.5 million is a low reasonable number," says Richard Seager, author of "Buddhism in America."

That makes Buddhism the country's fourth-largest religion, after Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. Immigrants from Asia probably account for two-thirds of the total, and converts about one-third, says Dr. Seager, a professor of religious studies at Hamilton College, in Clinton, N.Y.

I am a huge fan of Buddhism. I became very familiar with it while I was studying Kung fu and I always thought that it was superior to Christianity in a number of ways.

Of course I am not much of a joiner so I probably won't be part of the new rush to become a Buddhist.

If I had to make a choice I would probably become a Taoist. Now that is an amazing religion/philosophy.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:39 AM

    Having a Buddhist nature, I am pleased to see more & more people lean toward this more peaceful faith. However, when religion starts to organize, I become a bit wary. Would like to see it remain on an individual level, a more personal pursuit and not become the latest craze.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.