Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The 20th Anniversary of the Exxon Valdez disaster and the words of Shannyn Moore.

I sat down probably a half dozen times yesterday to write something about this painful anniversary, but found myself unable to put into the words all that it meant to the oil companies, the Alaskan fishermen, and the citizens of our state.

In some ways I felt like a fraud trying to write about something that I had not experienced directly in my life.

Sure I had watched the coverage and been angered by the devastation that I saw on my television screen, but essentially my life remained untouched by the oil that coated the rocky coast of Prince William Sound. Over the years I have met a handful of fishermen who talked bout how the court case was a joke and the oil companies were doing everything they could not to pay the people affected for their stupid mistake, and I recognized their anger and pain over that fact.

Still I did not know how to put that into words with any real depth of feeling.

Then I visited Shannyn's site today. And realized I did not have to.

Please click the header and read Shannyn's powerful words. I am sure that when you finish you will really understand how badly hurt Alaskan fishermen were by the negligence and indifference of the Exxon oil company, and why today their very name is used as a curse word by many of those who make their living on the seas.

4 comments:

  1. She does have a way with words doesn't she..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:04 AM

    This is truly a heart wrenching post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:08 AM

    Stunned silence. I just got so emotional reading it...Thanks Gryph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "20th Birthday of the Exxon Valdez Lie"

    http://www.truthout.org/032409J

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.