Monday, March 09, 2009

Maureen Dowd believes that Michelle Obamas sculpted biceps inspire Americans.

Let’s face it: The only bracing symbol of American strength right now is the image of Michelle Obama’s sculpted biceps. Her husband urges bold action, but it is Michelle who looks as though she could easily wind up and punch out Rush Limbaugh, Bernie Madoff and all the corporate creeps who ripped off America.

In the taxi, when I asked David Brooks about her amazing arms, he indicated it was time for her to cover up. “She’s made her point,” he said. “Now she should put away Thunder and Lightning.”

I’d seen the plaint echoed elsewhere. “Someone should tell Michelle to mix up her wardrobe and cover up from time to time,” Sandra McElwaine wrote last week on The Daily Beast.
Washington is a place where people have always been suspect of style and overt sexuality. Too much preening signals that you’re not up late studying cap-and-trade agreements.
David was not smitten by the V-neck, sleeveless eggplant dress Michelle wore at her husband’s address to Congress — the one that caused one Republican congressman to whisper to another, “Babe.”

He said the policy crowd here would consider the dress ostentatious. “Washington is sensually avoidant. The wonks here like brains. She should not be known for her physical presence, for one body part.” David brought up the Obamas’ obsession with their workouts. “Sometimes I think half the reason Obama ran for president is so Michelle would have a platform to show off her biceps.”

During the campaign, there was talk in the Obama ranks that Michelle should stop wearing sleeveless dresses, because her muscles, combined with her potent personality, made her daunting.

She ignored that talk, thank heavens. I love the designer-to-J. Crew glamour. Combined with her workaday visits to soup kitchens, inner-city schools and meetings with military families, Michelle’s flair is our depression’s answer to Ginger Rogers gliding around in feathers and lamé.

Her arms, and her complete confidence in her skin, are a reminder that Americans can do anything if they put their minds to it. Unlike Hillary, who chafed at the loathed job of first lady, and Laura, who for long stretches disappeared into the helpmeet role, Michelle has soared every day, expanding the job to show us what can be accomplished by a generous spirit, a confident nature and a well-disciplined body.

Now before I start making any comments I must confess that I know absolutely NOTHING about fashion. I think I watched an episode or two of Top Model, and have seen the actresses walk the red carpet for the Academy Awards, but beyond that I am fairly un-evolved when it comes to what is considered "in style" or not.

However, like everybody, I do know what I find personally appealing.

And I did find Mrs. Obama's sleeveless dresses appealing. Not in an overtly sexy way, but just that they seemed to make her feel comfortable and looked very chic on her.

I am also somebody who appreciates a fit body, whether male or female, and Michele's choice of attire reveals a body that is being well maintained. In a time when health care is on every Americans mind, it is a good reminder that HEALTH care is about eating right and exercising, and that what happens in the doctor's office or hospital is actually SICK care.

And possibly the main reason that the stuffy Washington crowd may find themselves intimidated by Michelle Obama's shapely arms is that it is constant reminder that their sedentary overfed lifestyle makes them her physical inferior.

Let's face it if the President wanted to guarantee getting his policies passed through Congress and the Senate he could just invite them to arm wrestle Michelle over it. Most of them would run away in terror and those that accepted would suffer yet another humiliating defeat at the hands (or arms) of the Obamas.

18 comments:

  1. Bare arms send Republicans hiding under the covers and they find them offensive - but Sarah Palin with super high heels and winking they find appealing? To mind boggling to think about too much or my brain will hurt.

    I love Michelle's biceps! A true inspiration to everyone to get fit and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:20 AM

    I've heard PO likes to turn the heat up in the Oval Office to 78 degrees...maybe Michelle wears sleeveless all the time to accommodate for that. Anyway, who cares, she looks great..if her shoulders and arms are her best feature, she should accentuate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is great to have a strong woman in the white house who is really confident about her body and keeps in shape. Our pre-teen and teenaged girls need more positive role models for a healthy body, and fewer Hollywood size 00 stick insects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:15 PM

    Absolutely, absolutely. Thanks for saying that, indy_girl.

    I am about as big a fashion victim as one would be likely to find, but I LOVE our new First Lady. Not just her brains, not just the way she looks, not just that she's making unknown designers famous overnight when she chooses to wear their sensibly-priced clothing... I say ALL RIGHT!

    Since I live in D.C., the idea that the first lady's nice firm arms shouldn't be shown is a bit ridiculous. Some of these peevish remarks come from the same people who said nothing about Nancy Reagan's wardrobe "gifts" that showed off her stick-insect arms, or about Ann Coulter's skimpy cocktail dresses worn on a.m. television. Believe me, if my arms looked as great as Mrs. Obama's, I'd show 'em.

    Mrs. Tarquin Biscuitbarrel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle is the most beautiful First Lady we've ever had....and that includes Jackie Kennedy. Her self-confidence scares the beejesus out of the wingers, which quite frankly, I love. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you've got it, flaunt it. Michelle's attire has never been anything but tasteful and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:48 PM

    I adore Michelle Obama! She is the best First Lady in my entire lifetime! And a great mom, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Below is the link to an article by Bonnie Fuller, who has edited several style magazines. She sets Brooks straight on what "ostentatious" dress means.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bonnie-fuller/why-wimpy-david-brooks-in_b_173025.html

    Why are some people so threatened by Michelle Obama? She's not "after" them personally. I guess they feel like she is, even though that's abolutely not true.

    I think she looks great and is a smart, accomplished woman. As mentioned above, she is great role model for girls and women!

    I love the phrase "Hollywood size 00 stick insects!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I borrowed "stick insects" from Kate Winslet, who vowed some years ago that she would never become one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:22 PM

    For a start, I love the fact that the First Lady is tall. For seconds, I love the way black girls are encouraged that MO isn't an 'MTV' represenation of a black woman. Thirdly, I love the fact that she works out. Add her intellect, and she's the perfect package - you only have to look in her husband's eyes to know that. If the Republican media are scared of the President's secret weapon, so be it ......

    The days of brown dresses, thick waists, and 'little women' in the WH ended on 1/20. The 21st Century has arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:24 PM

    I find it really hypocritical the same people who ooooh and awe about GINO's red monkey shoes will bitch about Michelle O's awesome arms.
    GINO is well on her way to being a celeb "bobblehead"
    She says she's athletic, she "runs" but I've never seen anyone but herself say that,or any REAL proof.
    Michele O doesn't say "oh I do this, I do that"...but you just KNOW she does, and she EATS!
    No Diet dr. pepper for her or skinny wht. lattes!
    A true threat to anorexic RW woman everywhere.
    You go Michelle O!
    We Love you!!!!
    Keep wearing your tanks and sleeveless dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't understand the negative comments some have about Mrs. Obama's outfits. It's not like she's wearing shirts cut down to her navel, leather micro minis and stiletto heels!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not seen Michelle wear anything at ll that seemd even a little bit tasteless or inappropriate. She looks beautiful in everything--with or without sleeves!

    Now, that GINO....I don't give a damn how much money the RNC blew on clothes for her---they were boring, bland and drab as could be. Such a waste---whoever designed those outfits Palin wore, must have laughed all the way to the bank!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:07 AM

    I love this:

    "Tomorrow night on AUStv: how to get Michelle Obama's arms"

    A fashion statement you can believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:36 AM

    Now, if Michelle ever dons a red leather Michael Jackson "Thriller" jacket like the one Sarah wore during the campaign, I will be disappointed in her. One would hope President Obama would stop her before she got out of the White House in it, though.

    I also think it is neat that she is so tall and confident. It seems like the tall girls rarely have tall women to look up to as a role models in the media except for volleyball and basketball players, and otherwise they feel like their height is a negative thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maybe if a designer were to make a should/sleeve that fits a woman with strong arms, Michelle would wear it! Grumbling my way back to my men's shirts that fit my biceps...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous2:47 PM

    Oh, I've seen GINO run. Almost ran her over when she was running in the street in the winter right after her dark shadow first cursed my town (i.e. right after her inauguration as GINO). The Dud was running on the sidewalk... It was on a Sunday morning; why weren't they in church? That's where we were headed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous12:18 PM

    When Kate Winslet starred in "Titanic," a then-little girl for whom I babysat said with indignation, "How can people call her 'fat'?? I think she's beautiful!"

    I do, too.

    Mrs. Tarquin Biscuitbarrel

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.