Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rachel Maddow confronts the spectre of "Conservadems", a group of Democrats working to derail the Obama agenda. Sadly our own Mark Begich is one.

(Be patient it is the third story in this video.)



Let me share with you for a moment how proud I was when Mark Begich beat the unbeatable Ted Stevens and assumed the role as the first Democratic Senator from Alaska in 40 years. To be blunt I was over the moon.

I remember shaking Mark's hand during a fundraiser in October and telling him that he was going to go all of the way. Then I used this blog to help him as much as I could.

I wrote glowing pieces about his youth, and his energy, and his ethics. He was the anti-Ted Stevens. A breath of fresh air that Alaska needed more then ever in these historic times.

But this is a Mark Begich that I simply do not know.

I understand the political realities for politicians in Alaska, whether they are Republican or Democrats. You always talk about opening ANWR, you have some picture of yourself hunting, you hug children, you discuss opportunities for the future while acknowledging the debt that Alaska owes to the oil companies. If you do not do these things you simply cannot get elected in this state.

But Mark is the Senator. He can be his own man now. Why would he work with these obstructionists and risk his political career by standing in the way of the most popular President in fifty years?

To be honest I simply do not have an answer to that question. But I will say that I am very broken hearted over this turn of events.

My friend AKM wrote about this same thing the other day on Mudflats.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:33 AM

    Tell me what vote Mark Begich has made in office that you are upset about?

    What issue has he pushed that you are upset about?

    While Joe Lieberman is not my favorite guy.......I do expect Begich to work with all 99 Senators to do an effective job for Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:35 AM

    I posted something similar when I read this on Mudflats. My newly elected Democratic senator, Mark Warner (of VA), is also on this list, and at first I was upset about it. Warner was our governor from 2001-2005 (VA governors are limited to one term...maybe AK should look into that ;), and he governed as a FISCAL conservative, and pro-gun. But on the flip side, he is pro-choice, pro-education, pro-infrastructure, and pro-health care. He balanced the VA budget...granted the booming real estate market helped...and won over die hard Republicans.

    Warner's success helped usher in a huge wave of democratic victories here in Virginia with on local and state levels...including Senator Jim Webb who defeated George "Macaca" Allen. I also think Warner sort of paved the way for a more socially progressive governor, Tim Kaine, to succeed him. Kaine and Warner both campaigned hard for Obama, and VA turned blue for the first time in 44 years. Virginia has turned more and more blue with each election. I finally have a democratic congressman in my district after twenty something years!

    Basically, I'm saying be patient. Begich did vote for the stimulus package, right? It's a start. Looks like you should worry more about your governor's race right now. You have got to get Granny out of there. When you decide who you are supporting, I will contribute to their campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:29 PM

    I know just how you feel. I was excited to FINALLY see a dem in that office, and to finally be rid of Uncle Ted. Now I wonder if we traded a fiscal conservative/social independent for a what? A Lieberman? Ugh!

    I guess we have no choice but to be patient and see what he does; but he's on the verge of losing my vote...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:53 PM

    My question is how has our senator not supported our President. the Senator has represented our state as a Senator should. He should not only represent the far left just as we don't expect him to only represent the center. Mark ran as a pragmatist who would work for Alaska just as he showed during the stimulus fight. You should be ashamed of yourself for attacking our new Senator because he has done nothing but support the Presidents agenda so far

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.