Thursday, December 23, 2010

We lost a member of our family yesterday.

Yesterday Roger "Bones" Ranch died after his trailer caught fire in the early morning hours.

Roger was a man well known to his many friends for having the gruffest of exteriors surrounding a heart of purest gold.

He looked very much like one might imagine Santa Claus would look if Santa dropped some weight and took on a combative, take no prisoners attitude.  And just like Mr. Claus, Roger was omnipresent.

He was everywhere.  And I DO mean everywhere.  If you were at a rally, he was there.  If you were at a meeting of Democrats, he was there.  If you were protesting something that needed protesting, you could damn sure count on the fact that he was there!

I met Roger for the first time at Shannyn Moore's house.  He had been standing off to the side by himself, but when somebody mentioned out loud that I was Gryphen he made a beeline right for me, shook my hand vigorously and told me he loved my blog.  This was over two years ago and I was still not used to meeting people in the real world who knew me from the internet.  But Roger had nothing but nice things to say, at first.  (Later in our friendship he had no compunction about providing me wtih suggestions for things I should write about in the future and what I should stay away from as well.)

He was very smart, very knowledgeable about local issues, and very free with his opinion.  I always came away from our interactions a little shell shocked but much better informed then when he first walked up.

After that I first time I saw Roger frequently at rallies, political events, parties, and protests, and always he made a point of walking up and shaking my hand and telling me what a good job I was doing. He was a HUGE supporter of all of the Alaska blogs and usually left comments under the name "BonesAK," a name left over from his days as a medic in the military and while working as a physician's assistant in Bethel.

Once Roger slipped a 50 dollar bill in my hand during a handshake, and though I tried to give it back, he would have none of it.  He said that what I did was extremely important and the least he could do was to give me a couple of bucks to help me do it.

I cannot tell you how much of a loss to our state, to our politics, and to our community, the passing of Roger Ranch will be.  There is just no tool with which to measure it. 

For me personally I know I will miss the sound of his gravelly voice, his infectious booming laugh, and his gentle spirit always clearly visible beneath his craggy features and behind his playful dancing eyes. Roger was a man who lived a full, and sometimes difficult life, but he never lost his enthusiasm for the promise of tomorrow. He was a tireless advocate for social issues, the squeakiest of wheels when one was required, and a passionate believer in the power of the individual to make a difference.

Good bye my friend. And thank you for everything you did to make this state, and this country, a better, saner, place for all of us to live.  We owe you a great debt that can only be repaid by earning the faith you placed in us and doing the work that you trusted we would continue to do.

Namaste Roger, Namaste.

If you wish you can read more about Roger over at Mudflats.

21 comments:

  1. Very nice, sounds like a hell of a man. Thank you for your description of his spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:56 PM

    He sounds like he was a wonderful person whose presence will be terribly missed. My sympathies on the tragic loss of your friend, Gryphen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MC30311:06 PM

    Lovely tribute, G. I think that's one thing we all hope for - that when all is said and done, we will be remembered for making the world just a bit better while we were here.

    Peace out, Bones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:15 PM

    From the ADN article: "The mobile home is considered a total loss. The cause of the fire is under investigation".

    I don't like to foster cconspiracy theories, but wasn't there an older guy named Bones that Sarah Palin annoyed and "visited" a couple of weeks ago on her stupid reality show? Same guy?

    Lots of mysterious fires up there -- Dar Miller, Sarah's church, now this guy right after she invades his home for her show.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. AKRNC1:19 PM

    My sincere condolences for the loss of your friend. He sounds like quite a character, the type of person you'll never forget once you've met them and for positive reasons rather than negative. Godspeed, Bones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kdusmdd1:42 PM

    Anon 1:15....I thought the same thing when I read that his trailer was destroyed by fire...and of his death.

    Sooo sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:26 PM

    A very nice heartfelt tribute.
    May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:37 PM

    Out of tragedy comes, I don't know, the benefit of learning about someone who mattered.

    I'm reading you, AKM & Shannyn and just feeling the love for this man.

    Thank you. I hope that somehow he's aware of the love. At least his friends and family will see it.

    Seagull

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:55 PM

    He sounds like he was a wonderful, honest, fun friend to have.

    I am o sorry for your loss.

    May he RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  10. California Dreamin'4:09 PM

    I'm so sorry for your loss. Bones sounded like he was quite the character. RIP, Bones

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous@1.15p - I assume this isn't the same guy on the Palin show or Gryphen would have mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sorry to hear about this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of this giant of a man who went too soon. May we all be inspired by his life. RIP, BonesAK.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5:28 PM

    Peace Roger- I wish I could have heard your gravelly voice I'm sure I would have laughed with you. Sounds like you will be incredibly missed - much peace to you and those who will miss you.

    Love,

    T

    (this isn't the guy on spa last week rght?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous5:46 PM

    So sorry for the loss of Bones. He sounds like the kind of guy I would connect. Lovely tribute Gryph......

    It seems our world is less one good soul today. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bones was evidently a wonderful person, and I extend my condolences to his friends and family.

    I trust that the causes of this fire will be gone into with a thorough investigation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6:40 PM

    He looked like a very kind man. You wrote a wonderful tribute to him. We can tell he had a positive impact on you & others.
    He went home for Christmas. May he rest in Peace.

    Merry Christmas to you & your family, Jesse. Also, too, happy holidays to my fellow bloggers.

    NYCgirl

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear about your friend, Gryphen. He seems like someone I would have enjoyed knowing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous11:34 PM

    Hey Gryphen:

    http://www.azcentral.com/community/pinal/articles/2010/12/24/20101224bristol-palin-buys-home-in-arizona.html

    It's NOT Scottsdale ( where I live). It's kind of a very strange area for a young 20 year old to buy a house. Really, it's kind of out there away from the city but I guess she wants the privacy. There are so many prettier cooler places to live but price is another factor. She paid 173,000 cash ( must be nice) but in the more exclusive areas that would never buy a big condo, let alone a house.
    Good for her though really. Congratulations Bristol that's a big buy for a 20 year old and you will have some privacy which I'm sure you crave. And 5 bedrooms for a big family!!

    When people will ask Bristol in 5-10 years, where she got her money, I wonder what she will say or the situation she will be in..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rick Hill4:49 AM

    Damn. Just came over from Tbogg and he had a picture of Beckham posted and(after reading Mudflats as well)turns my morning into one of mourning. All I can say is I hope I am remembered half as well as Bones was. Lived in a trailer in Alaska as well!?! Sounds like a pretty tough old bird. A sorry end to such a good life.
    Go easy Mr Ranch....

    http://www.in-memory-of-pets.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3518&cat=516
    (My guys, my buddies for 15 years, still getting over them)

    ReplyDelete
  21. DebinWI6:37 AM

    So sad. I do remember the calling name he used. Rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.