Monday, March 14, 2011

Taking time away from my computer to visit a glacier, and to remember why NO Alaskan should ever doubt the effects of global warming.

I probably have mentioned before that I am an avid hiker and try to get out on the trails around Anchorage at least once a week, depending on the weather of course.

However I have been in sort of a rut for the last twenty years and essentially keep going back to the same trails over and over again. One of the great things about Alaska is that the wilderness is only about ten minutes away in any given direction. So I have a few favorite places that are not so far away that I can't both drive to, and hike up, them all in about a two or three hour span of time. Which by the way is usually all of the time I have available during the day.

Essentially I just don't want to spend more time in the car driving to the hike, then I spend on the actual hike.  So these places close to town have always been perfect for me.

When my friend Dennis Zaki heard about my hiking habits he was horrified and said that this year he wanted to take me to some of HIS favorite hiking locations to expand my repertoire. "Sure why not?" I said.

So yesterday we went on the first of these new location hikes.

However as it turned out, it was not so much a new location, as a long forgotten location.

All Dennis told me was that we were headed to a glacier that was only an hour away.  He never mentioned the name, and I did not think to ask.

So we left Anchorage and after an hour we arrived at the parking lot of a huge lake where there was absolutely NO sign of any glacier.  "Don't worry." Said Dennis. "It is across the lake and on the other side of that outcropping of rock."

Well, though it was a beautiful, pristine day outside (with temperatures hovering around 7 degrees.), I could barely see the outcropping of rock he referred to from where I was standing in the parking lot.

But I am always game for a new adventure so off we went across the frozen lake.  At first it was just Dennis and I, and a few other friends, who were out on the lake.  Later we would be joined by quite a few other people.

Though there was no wind to speak of (Thank goodness!) the chilly temperature soon managed to make my face numb and my fingertips start to ache.  I had worn my super heavy down filled Glacier's Edge jacket (Think George Costanza"s "puffy jacket" only not so ugly.) so my torso and arms were pretty toasty, but anything sticking out of the jacket was on its own.

As we walked we noticed that in some places the snow had been blown off of the ice and you could look straight down to see cracks, fissures, and bubbles that extended as far down as six or seven feet. Essentially the ice appeared to be so thick that you could have driven a tank across without fear of breaking through.

The walk across the lake seemed to take forever, but just when I thought perhaps Dennis was screwing with me about a glacier, we passed the rock outcropping mentioned earlier and we were greeted with this amazing spectacle.


Yes that's me in my cozy down jacket just taking it all in.

The ice formation below the glacier is where parts of the glacier has calved off and fallen into the lake.  The splash from the impact has then frozen. (I told you it was cold out there!)

Here the sun could be seen shining through the glacier, which made for a truly beautiful effect.

Here is a closer look at the frozen splash.  When we stood silent, without making any noise at all, we could hear the glacier creaking and rumbling as the ice shifted and moved. It was pretty amazing.


Even my giant noggin looks small next to the glacier.

It took us almost an hour to hike from the parking lot to the glacier, so of course it took about the same to get back.  All in all from the time we left Anchorage to the time we arrived back in town we had been gone about five hours.

Now here is the funny part.  As it turned out I HAD visited this particular glacier before, in fact it was Portage Glacier perhaps our most famous local glacier, but that had been FORTY years ago!

I literally did not recognize it as the glacier I had visited when I was eleven or twelve years old, because when I had last seen it I had been able to stand in the parking lot and hit it with a rock.  You heard me, the glacier that it had taken me an hour to reach by foot was once so close it could not be missed.  Even by a rock thrown from a child's hand.

So in forty years time this magnificent spectacle of ice had melted so far down from it once overwhelming size that, not only was it not within an arms throw, it was so far away that it required an hour to hike to where it was now hidden from the prying eyes of the humans who helped usher in its demise.

So when people ask me if I believe in Global Warming, I say yes. 

If they ask me if I think it is mostly man-made, I say of course. 

And if they ask me how I know, I say "Come with me, I have something to show you."

I really doubt there is much we can do to save Portage Glacier, but if we do not start taking climate change seriously and get off of our dependence on fossil fuels we will soon have far more to contend with the simple loss of a once magnificent tourist attraction.

33 comments:

  1. What beautiful photographs. Thank you so much for sharing these pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:38 AM

    Now wasn't much of North America covered by glaciers years and years ago? That was even before the internal combustion engine. What reason do we provide for glaciers receding back then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. emrysa11:40 AM

    fantastic post and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:50 AM

    Several years ago when I was visiting Alaska, I spent a few days on the Kenai Peninsula and went to see Exit Glacier. The ranger was showing us where the edge of the glacier had been only a few years earlier. In that short a time it had receded what looked to be several hundred yards.

    Global warming/climate change?
    Oh, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:55 AM

    I believe it is just the earth going through it's natural cycles, another ice age at some point will bring all the glaciers back and then again they will melt away until the next time

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fear the juggernaut we have created cannot be stopped. Perhaps we can slow it but the damage has been done and now we will have to deal with what ensues for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:58 AM

    Amazing and beautiful photos!

    OT:

    Gryph, Are you still in contact with Shailey Tripp? She has made some provocative posts lately that make me wonder why (if she has what she insinuates) a msm outlet doesn't pay her well for an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FEDUP!!!12:06 PM

    Amazing, beautiful pics, Gryphen!

    That said... The ReThugs will not have any of the 'global warming' talks - those are just for idiots, dontcha know? This G.W. is all natural, etc etc.
    So, in their immense wisdom, the ReThugs and Teabaggers are opposing at every turn they can anything that would curb out energy usage, including making fun of trying to use less energy in using energy-efficient light bulbs.
    Put that in contrast to the European Union, which is trying to cut their greenhouse emissions to 25% BELOW 1990 ( http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/business/global/09energy.html?src=busln )...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:17 PM

    Holy Shit Gryphen! When it is 7 fucking degrees outside, I do not go ANYWHERE, much less on a hike! I am a wimp, though. These pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon @11:55

    What is happening is not occurring in a natural geological time frame. Changes like this don't occur naturally in a few decades or even a few centuries. This is not natural. Ask a climatologist. They are the experts. Almost all of them concur that this is anthropological global warming. You can disagree with them, but if you are not trained in the field and gathering and analyzing the actual data (and having it peer reviewed), your opinion is valueless. If you pick and chose what science you want to believe in like it's a smorgasbord, you are delusional or you don't have the faintest clue how the scientific method works. It gave you the computer you are typing on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. imnofred12:48 PM

    Great Pics!! Unfortunately, the beautiful scenery will not be around as long as it should be because we do not take care of this planet in a way to preserve it...we only will destroy it.

    If we just keep on dumping things into our water in into the air, the effects will be greater sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful, incredible pictures to go with such a sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:56 PM

    For those who deny global climate change--it is the PACE of change that is so different now. Sure, glaciers have formed and receded many times in the past. But it has taken thousands of years. Now melting of glaciers is happening very fast on a geologic time scale. Also thawing of the permafrost.

    Ten thousand years ago where I am (western New York State) there was ice and snow more than a mile thick. It took centuries to melt back.

    The pace of change occurring now is frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 17 years ago I lived in Anchorage and visited Portage.. you could totally see it then too.

    My hear breaks with this news.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1:32 PM

    Off topic.
    Amnesty International memo to Sarah Palin regarding India trip:

    http://blog.amnestyusa.org/waronterror/suggested-itinerary-for-sarah-palin-visit-to-india/#comment-72180

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:34 PM

    Shailey is writing a book and needs an advance from a publisher.
    Gryphen?

    She's soliciting "sponsors." What a mess that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kimosabr1:37 PM

    Anon 11:38:

    Cavemen. Campfires.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You must have been one amazing kid to be able to hit Portage Glacier with a rock. I moved to Anchorage 45 years ago and even then the glacier was almost 2 miles from the parking lot. We walked out there a number of times and it was,indeed, close to 2 miles. However, during many winters the lake was filled with magnificent ice bergs that would be packed close to shore and frozen in place, making it seem that the glacier was close. Nonetheless, the face of the glacier was far away. Here is a picture from 1959 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/NOAA_Portage_Glacier_1958.jpg/800px-NOAA_Portage_Glacier_1958.jpg
    This map shows the glacier through the last 100 years: http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2006/3141/figure1.html

    That isn't to say that it hasn't receded considerably. As it receded it disappeared from view because it makes a sharp 90 degree turn about a mile from where it was 40 years ago and has receded another .5 miles or so beyond that. Your hike was actually more like 2.5+ miles each way, so you did have a wonderful outing.

    I'm envious of your making that magnificent hike.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kimosabe1:55 PM

    I had a geology professor at UAA (forget her name) who was ON Portage Lake with a class taking soundings when the 1964 earthquake struck. Avalanches came down from the mountains all around. The ice broke up as the water heaved up and down. Their only escape was where the ice remaIned attached at Bear Valley, then thru the railroad tunnel during aftershocks. What a story!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous2:03 PM

    Thanks for the great pictures. I don't doubt the global warming for a second.

    OT, here's the Facebook page for the "big event" that was supposed to be yesterday:

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/3132011-Road-to-Ruin-Pull-It-Over-Protest/179142438794275

    I REALLY had to look for any mention of it at all... so much for the millions of cars I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous2:11 PM

    There was no UAA until 1976. Maybe you mean AMU?

    ReplyDelete
  22. London Bridges2:12 PM

    Here is an old trick you can try when your face is very cold: blow your nose a few times in a handkerchief. It gets the blood flowing in your face.

    That's why prizefighters are advised not to blow their noses when they have a facial cut - it starts the blood flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous2:22 PM

    Well, Gryphen. The militia found you. They're concerned about the misinformation that you've been spreading to the masses.

    Mar 14, 10:22 am
    "There is this "gryphen" blog gryphen(somenumber)@yahoo.com
    Go there and read all the misleading information he is posting about Cox, Sara
    Palin, and others.
    I am concerned about all of the misinformed masses."

    "If you can read, Thank a Teacher."
    "If you can read in English, Thank a Marine."


    ~ I can read in Russian. And Spanish. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous2:29 PM

    Nice photos! Since you enjoy hiking, have you ever tried letterboxing? See www.letterboxing.org. There are plenty of boxes in Anchorage!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous2:44 PM

    Amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous3:12 PM

    Of course climate change is man-made. The majority of the rain forest is now gone, the vast swaths of vegitation that removed carbon from the atmosphere. Where is it now? In your house, burned, whatever.

    The millions of acres of frozen permafrost is beginning to melt - it will release the trapped carbon from the decomposed plant material contained in it.

    Don't count on the government to take any REAL steps toward totally renewable energy, like wind, water, and solar. Corporations won't make enough money on such things. Instead they will push nuclear (it's profitable), Japan shows how safe fail-safe is.

    Looking for another ice age? When man has all but exterminated himself, then there might be another ice age.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous3:51 PM

    Thanks Gryphen! I happened to have my photos from when I visited Portage Glacier in the late 70's nearby, and you could totally see it then. I was a little kid, and we walked way out on the lake to get a better look (snow was pretty deep, so an hour's walk didn't cover much ground). When I was back in Alaska in the early 90's, it was nearly gone from view. Portage is a great example of global warming (and the natural cycle of glacial activity - they don't always run down the mountain, unfortunately).

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous4:34 PM

    Let me give you some scientific advice:

    Ice melts. As long as the mean temperature at Portage is above 32 degrees, that glacier is going to shrink and recede.

    Portage Glacier has been melting for thousands of years.

    http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2006/3141/figure1.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous4:48 PM

    hmmmmmmmm.....pee zoo site has been down for hours.
    Palin was supposed to be on Lou Dobbs debut show (Fox Bus. Network).

    It seems sarah did not appear on the show - some of the cult members have gone to freeperville (free republic) to wring their hands.

    I wonder what is up - is she mad at Ailes and having a tantrum? I have a suggestion for c 4 pee'ers who have nothing to do while site is down:
    Get in your cars and PULL OVER to side of roads and highways. Stay in car for a full hour, honk horns and flash lights. It is a sure winner of an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lynne4:59 PM

    The same thing has happened to the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. It has melted way back and looks so small. I moved to Alaska in 1972, and this was (is) my backyard glacier. It has changed so much. It looks like two tiny glaciers off in the distance now with a big hunk of rock in the middle that didn't used to be there...well, not that you could see anyway. The tourists still love it, but it makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous5:07 PM

    Anon @4:34PM, other than the fact that you discovered that ice melts above freezing and are so excited that you want to share it with an online community, what was your point, scientifically speaking? You do know that "ice" freezes below 32 degrees, for thousands of years, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  32. KatieAnnieOakley5:13 PM

    No. No freaking way... that CAN'T BE PORTAGE GLACIER!! I am stunned. I last saw her in 1991. This is terrible!! As I was readying this post, I thought, well why not go to Portage Glacier, it's close by. How utterly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Do you think the earthquake in Japan caused by climate change?

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.