Saturday, June 25, 2011

Celebration turns to sorrow during Anchorage Pridefest parade.

From ADN:

A convertible carrying the grand marshal in today's Anchorage gay Pridefest parade struck and killed a pedestrian just as the downtown parade was to begin, police say.

Police late Saturday identified the victim as 50-year-old James L. Crump of Anchorage. Crump worked as a nurse for the city's Health and Human Services department, police said.

The 1971 Triumph Stag convertible was traveling at a low speed when it hit and dragged the man, police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker said.

Police said the driver was Edith Bailey, 70, of Eagle River.

Grand Marshal Doug Frank said he was riding in the black convertible when the driver had trouble with the car's accelerator. It lurched forward, Frank said.

"It ran over a person, totally over," he said, sobbing. "This went from one of the best days of my life to the worst."

I just heard about this a few minutes ago.

This is a terribly sad end to a day that is usual full of wonderful music, imaginative floats, and amazing performers.

My heart goes out to the family of Mr. Crump and to ALL of the witnesses to this horrific event.

I have recently attended several plays at Mad Myrna's, our local gay club and theatre company, and I have come to know several members of the LGBT community.  I know this will have a devastating effect on them and I wish to extend my sincerest condolences.

20 comments:

  1. So sad. I read about this earlier today and thought how very heartbreaking it is. My heart goes out to everyone affected.
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:24 PM

    What a sad and tragic thing, my heart goes out to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:25 PM

    Deepest sympathies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:38 PM

    Peace for all those affected by this tragic accident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:41 PM

    So sad. We never know what will be next. I'm sure nobody expected any of this. Condolences to all and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:45 PM

    My condolences, too. What a tragedy on such a joyous day.

    ~Pogo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, send my condolences, thoughts, and prayers to all involved especially the Crump family and Edith Bailey, the driver. What should have been a wonderful day... so very sad for all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:51 PM

    Read about this evening....so sorry to hear this - I feel terrible for family's loss and at this time for the driver too; she needs lots of support at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Olivia8:59 PM

    This is just heartbreaking. My condolences to all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wakeUpAmerica9:05 PM

    The worst part? Undoubtedly some fundie asshole will say it was God's way of punishing gays. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:13 PM

    My heartfelt sympathy to all involved. Love from Juneau.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart goes out to all that were devastated by such a horrible accident.

    Rest in peace, Mr. Crump.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a terrible tragedy at what was to be an uplifting event. Our hearts are filled with sorrow for all those involved.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awful, my most sincere condolences for his family as well as for the driver of the car that malfunctioned. my heart goes out to everyone in the crowd and who is affected directly or indirectly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:56 PM

    sorrow, love & prayers
    ~~~marlys

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous6:54 AM

    My condolences and wishes for speedy healing for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous7:20 AM

    My heart goes out to all involved, especially the victims of this tragic turn of events.
    May all find solace and some measure of support in knowing their families are there, as well as countless souls who mourn along with them.

    My deepest condolences to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:47 AM

    Very sorry to hear this. Another reminder to folks at parades - stay out of the street, don't cross the street between floats, cars because you never know what might happen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10:19 PM

    The man stuck happened to be the parade leader, not a pedestrian.

    It's such a tragedy to have this happen at a festival.

    My sympathies to the Crump family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jessica Skiver12:51 PM

    I saw this happen. It was a very sad accident. My prayers go out to Mr. Crumps friends and family. And for all those people that are saying this was God's plan, I pray for you too. God doesn't kill people. And only God can judge. A real human lost their life in a split second. I'm so sad the way our country is going. RIP James

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.