Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I was gone camping on Sunday and only saw this episode of the Newsroom yesterday. It gave me chills.

Here is a review for those that missed it as well. I especially like this description:  

While this episode provided excellent progression for Will McAvoy, it is also a shining night for Olivia Munn as Sloan Sabbith. This intelligent, independent woman has had a few small previous moments to beam; however this episode gave Olivia Munn much more to do than be a steady source of charming comic relief. While Elliot is absent, Will and Don elect Sloan to sub in during their coverage of the Japanese nuclear crisis following the March 2011 earthquake. Consequently, Sloan becomes a related part of the consequences concerning Will’s righteous and stressed actions. In the awkward position to host Elliot’s 10 p.m. show, Sloan does a pre-interview (Olivia Munn is great in speaking fluent Japanese) talking with a Japan representative from the power plant, who Sloan is acquainted with. It further complicates things as she pushes him to tell the truth about the nuclear levels being higher than what they were previously reported being. From there, things don’t become much better for the struggling girl when Will insists Sloan force the truth out of the representatives: Go rogue. 

This results one of the best moments of the show thus far, as Sloan alters between English and Japanese attempting to push the Japanese representatives to give her the answers she wants and knows are true. Between Sloan’s shaky confidence and Don’s near-meltdown in the control room, it is an exquisite and rather uncomfortable moment that has some interesting consequences for reporter gone rogue bully. Even better is the quick aftermath following Sloan taking on an enraged Charlie Skinner. Let’s just say, through these moments Olivia Munn proves herself as a great asset to this great cast. She does wonderfully in these scenes. In the end, Sloan ends up being right, but must still deal with tough consequences that definitely give her character growth and more relevance. Good thing Will is there to help take on those consequences with her. These are one of the best moments of the episode and the show altogether, but the best moment comes in the end when we see the real bully of the episode come front and center stage: Will McAvoy himself.

I have always like Olivia Munn, but never really saw her push herself as an actor. The other night certainly changed that for me.  She was amazing.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:15 PM

    I've only previously seen Olivia Munn on The Daily Show, and I wasn't very impressed with her. I felt her comedic "timing" was off... I just didn't find her that funny compared to the other extras on the show.

    When I saw her on the opening credits of the first show of The Newsroom, I was a bit disappointed, but relieved that she didn't seem to have much of a role.

    Then I saw last Sunday's episode, and I've completely turned around. She was fabulous in that -- especially the scenes with her speaking Japanese (not sure if she actually does), and the scene between her and Charlie.

    I was also impressed with her in the previous episode, when her character was trying to teach economics to MacKenzie.

    The Newsroom is a good fit for Ms. Munn, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched it today as well. It was like a religious experience. It took me a few minutes to recover after the credits rolled by. Superior acting, writing and direction. Next year's EMMY winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:28 PM

    I have mixed feelings about The Newsroom, although I have seen every episode except the most recent. It is on my DVR. Olivia Munn's character is my favorite, so I am now excited to watch Sunday's episode. I like the political aspects of the show, but some of the dialogue really sucks. Some of the characters (Maggie especially) are really annoying, and a lot of the things that happen are too stupid or implausible for me to really immerse myself in the program. I am still watching, though. I did hear that Aaron Sorkin fired all the writers, so maybe it will be better next season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:37 PM

      I feel the same way. Really wanted to like this show but it's not working for me. It's had moments, and I haven't seen the most recent episode, but the downsides are significant.

      Maggie is almost unwatchable, waaaaay too over drawn. The interaction between her and Jim is like really bad Summer Stock in some tiny town in Wisconsin (no offense to my neighbors to the North.) Mackenzie (Aaron, seriously?) is more annoying than not. All those people getting hurt in the last eipsode (within like two hours) was ridiculous.

      But I have always admired Jeff Daniels and he's very good in this role so he keeps me coming back. On a scale of 1-5 I'd give it a 2.5.

      A Fan From Chicago

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:40 PM

    Sorry, did not like the episode at all, or the show. Everyone and everything feels forced. I don't get any authentic voices, including Olivia's. She can scowl pretty well, but that's not acting. And the guy going bonkers when Sloan is on the air is my least fave of all. But I did like the structure of the show...with Will flashing back during his therapy session.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved Will's taking on the Santorum aide. He was rightfully aggressive under the circumstance, and wasn't about to fold when the bizarre self-hater went on a rant when Will wouldn't fold. Will's final question to him really left the guy humiliated. As he deserved to be.

    It was an excellent example of the cognitive disonnance all too many minorities feel forced to indulge in, made necessary by the very people they claim to ally with. Arggggh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:43 PM

      I didn't like how they all wanted him to apologize b/c the guy looked like he was going to cry!
      That is what our "news" has come to.

      Softball questions courtesy of Stupid palin.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous1:30 PM

    The Newsoom is a awsome show and for sure going to be up for a emmy.
    Sometimes they put dumbstuff in there, but I think its to lighten the complete seriousness of getting the NEWS out there. I also think this is based on Keith Oblermann so that makes it better still.
    I don't have HBO but for you peeps out there who don't also here is a place to watch it:
    http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/search/?q=The+Newsroom&md=shows&sa=Search

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:28 PM

    More or less Positive Post. No Blog hits

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:14 PM

    The Newsroom is one of my favorite shows (top 3 easily), but I don't really care for all the "relationship" garbage (and yes, I'm female). I wish they could tone that down a bit and focus even more on how the characters are handling the news stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:40 PM

      Anon@6:14pm
      They probably think with all the "REALITY" BS they need to put "relationship" garbage in there...look at all the drama at Barstools show...{eye roll} but if people email them and tell them that...they might include less.
      I think they are trying to show that people we look up to (or used to look up to)in the news have personal, private issues/lives, that the public doesn't know about save our "Gossip rags". So that's why its included.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous6:22 PM

    Thank you for alerting us to this show. I ordered HBO specifically so we can watch it because it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was probably the best episode so far. Sorkin's writing is brilliant and Olivia Munn was just brilliant. She is rarely credited with the breadth of experience that living in Asia puts in her bag of tricks....

    ReplyDelete
  11. physicsmom12:53 PM

    I agree, this was the best episode so far. The show started out a bit shaky, but has gotten better and better each week. Along with Olivia Munn, I also liked David Krumholz as the therapist. I hope he's a continuing character. This show was less preachy than the others, and altogether, I was sorry when it ended. One thing I would like to see changed is the theme music. The music for "West Wing" was so iconic and memorable and this music is lifeless. Aaron Sorkin, please find another composer.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.